PGA Tour to announce June restart

Canes

305 Till I Die
Reaction score
Handicap
Per Golfweek source, PGA Tour will announce their intention to restart with no fans on June 11-14 at the Charles Schwab Challenge in Ft. Worth, Texas. Here's the projected schedule thereafter:

June 18-21: RBC Heritage, Harbor Town Golf Links, Hilton Head Island, SC.
June 25-28: Travelers Championship, TPC River Highlands, Cromwell, Conn.
July 2-5: Rocket Mortgage Classic, Detroit Golf Club
July 9-12: John Deere Classic, TPC Deere Run, Silvis, Ill.
July 16-19: Memorial Tournament, Muirfield Village G.C., Dublin, Ohio
July 23-26: 3M Open, TPC Twin Cities, Blaine, Minn.
July 30-Aug. 2: WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational, TPC Southwind, Memphis
July 30-Aug. 2: Barracuda Championship, Tahoe Mt. Club, Truckee, Calif.
Aug. 6-9: PGA Championship, TPC Harding Park, San Francisco
Aug. 13-16: Wyndham Championship, Sedgefield C.C., Greensboro, N.C.
Aug. 20-23: The Northern Trust, TPC Boston
Aug. 27-30: BMW Championship, Olympia Fields (Ill.) Country Club
Sept. 3-7: Tour Championship, East Lake G.C., Atlanta
Sept. 17-20: U.S. Open, Winged Foot G.C., Mamaroneck, N.Y.
Sept. 25-27: Ryder Cup, Whistling Straits, Haven, Wis.
Nov. 12-15: Masters, Augusta National G.C., Augusta, Ga.

What do you guys think? Does this seem realistic or too soon?

I think the Travelers is very aggressive based on the reports out of CT, but I’m not a public health expert.

It's been 1 month since cancelled. That is 2 more months away. At current trajectory seems more then adequate.

Have any sporting events been successful and sustainable without fans? It seems like the danger/backlash outweighs the benefits. Will we see players refusing to play like CT Pan at The Players? If you can’t allow any fans is it really safe enough to play? You still need hundreds of event staff...

Most interesting. I think people are getting antsy now.

I know this is crazy circumstances. But imagine having to get up and prepped to play in the Ryder Cup, the week after getting your @ss handed to you by Winged Foot?

It will be interesting to see who signs up for the first tournament back. Are the pros itching to play and get a tournament under their belt or still wanting to be safe...

Hope it goes down as planned. Seems kind of crazy to still do the full FedEx Cup playoffs with such a big chunk of the schedule not being played.

I know this is crazy circumstances. But imagine having to get up and prepped to play in the Ryder Cup, the week after getting your @ss handed to you by Winged Foot?
I’m thinking that would be a dramatically different situation than the one we saw leading up to the President’s Cup.

Brutal schedule to finish the year... August to November big time courses.

I don't think this is wise. There are going to be a few players that won't be too keen to this idea I'm sure. There is way too much uncertainty

I'm definitely ready for "normal" but sporting events without fans really don't make much sense for me. I personally think this deal is a little overcooked, I say go for it but include fans.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Selfishly, that event should still happen and definitely allow fans. The refund process on that would be even more of a nightmare than getting the damn tickets were.

Selfishly, that event should still happen and definitely allow fans. The refund process on that would be even more of a nightmare than getting the damn tickets were.

maybe I'll go now. I actually love the idea of a fall major. And yes, you can already see a bunch of people are about to get screwed out of money.

Aggressive schedule, but even with no spectators its a movement to get things back to normal.

I guess shooting for a mid June restart makes sense with the current facts that we have but I won't be surprised if the names in the field look a little different.

I Marshall at the Colonial Every year....so i will have a front row seat, so there's that

maybe I'll go now. I actually love the idea of a fall major. And yes, you can already see a bunch of people are about to get screwed out of money.

Probably just offer everyone vouchers for the 2024 ryder cup 🙄

I think the Memorial on July 16th is where we'll see most of the big names and hopefully a good amount of fans.

I think they have to have a plan. Its most likely open for change or updating based on conditions. I think with no fans on site the biggest risk will be to their staff and the players during travel.

There is absolutely no reason why the tour cant play. They typically play in twosomes plus caddies. 4 people who play rounds of golf at 5+ hours spread quite a distance apart. Looking forward to this starting up like you cant even believe. Please lord let this happen as long as everyone feels safe. No need to have fans there what so ever.

Im guessing they will do one camera man per featured group or something and one camera per featured hole? Then maybe a camera on the leaders. Ultimately thats not a ton of people within a closed confined space. Hell, there are wayyyyyy more people than that at a grocery store at ANY given time.

I think this is just wishful thinking.

I like that we are seeing something. Here's what we are hoping for. It can help give some players, fans, communities, charities, some hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Planning.....all plans can be shifted and moved. But at least they ware getting things lined up for the possibilities

I think some will like it, others will have a little anxiety about it because a timeframe is just not known for sure. Personally, I think it's good to plan for it in hopes that it will happen. The PGA scheduled stops need time to prepare, so I think it would delay it further if they waited until they knew for sure before starting to make preparations or announcing a schedule. I say good to be ready if some projections are good and they can go mid June. If not, they can always cancel for a couple more weeks.

Back