Review Two Thumb Putter Grip Review

I just received the Original Tour Velvet grip installed on the Indi Allison putter I was chosen to review. As @Jman stated in his impecable review, their was definitely some shock and awe, as well as choice words and thoughts, in regards to the grip when removing the putter from the box.

Size and Weight - sucker is huge and weighs a ton. A little overstated, but at 190 grams not too awfully far off. I have been predominantly using standard size pistol grips forever so this grip is literally 3 times the size and triple the weight of what I am used to. Time will tell whether this is a good or bad thing.

Feel - I do like this aspect of the grip having always been a fan of rubber / rubber compound grips.

Putting Grip - I found out rather quickly that neither my normal reverse overlap grip nor left hand low grip were going to work with this grip. Both were very uncomfortable considering the size and shape of the grip. I went to their website and watched a video and noted that one of the pros on the video placed his thumbs side by side on the front of the grip with his index fingers on either side of the grip extended down. I tried that grip method and it felt much better and seemed to yield much better control of the putter head during the stroke.

These are just my initial reactions after using the grip for 10 - 15 minutes. Much more to come after I get more time with it.

View attachment 8937521View attachment 8937522
View attachment 8937524View attachment 8937525
It’s wiiiiiiild!

Always been a big fan of these - I remember Justin Rose used one for some time and it piqued my interest - but I’ve only pondered as the weight concerned me. Does the ‘light’ version truly bridge that gap now?

Always been a big fan of these - I remember Justin Rose used one for some time and it piqued my interest - but I’ve only pondered as the weight concerned me. Does the ‘light’ version truly bridge that gap now?

The one I have is the heaviest in the line and I really haven't noticed any issues with keeping the putter head on the proper swing path. The overall weight of the putter is significantly heavier than anything else I have ever used but the actual stroke feels quite comfortable.

@Sox_Fan I’m glad you got yours! I saw your post and immediately headed to the mail box (usps doesn’t make it to our house) and didn’t have anything. Hopefully it comes in tomorrow so I can take it out Friday.

@Sox_Fan I’m glad you got yours! I saw your post and immediately headed to the mail box (usps doesn’t make it to our house) and didn’t have anything. Hopefully it comes in tomorrow so I can take it out Friday.
Tomorrow (y)

Kind of scares me that the more I use this grip, the more I like it. As noted earlier, I had to revise my putting grip to fit this grip and now that I am getting used to that, I am rolling putts quite well.

You do not want to go from rolling 30 or 40 putts with this grip on a putter than pick up a putter with a standard size grip on it. Almost feels like you are holding a toothpick in your hand. Haha

Last edited:
Kind of scares me that the more I use this grip, the more I like it. As noted earlier, I had to revise my putting grip to fit this grip and now that I am getting used to that, I am rolling putts quite well.

You do not want to go from rolling 30 or 40 putts with this grip on a putter than pick up a putter with a standard size grip on it. Almost feel like you are holding a toothpick in your hand. Haha
Welcome to my world when I reviewed them!

Great review @Jman. Just not my thing, both looks and putting grip method. Keep in mind though that I’d use a hockey stick to putt if it were allowed.

I can comment a bit on this as I got the Big Daddy Light for review. I think it will and the more I use it time will tell. It weighs in at 67 grams as apposed to 190 for the original. I have it on a 340 gram putter head and you can still feel the weight of the head pretty good. The grip allows for the weight of the putter to “swing” easy as opposed to having to pull/push the putter through the swing, if that makes sense.
I was able to roll about 70 putts with it this evening on my cheap mat in the house. I tried a couple different grips with it left hand low, my esqued version of a traditional, and prayer, and while they all were able to be used, the prayer grip with both thumbs side by side resulted in the best feel and results. Go figure, the style it was designed for works the best, right? As far as feel, this thing feels tacky, but in a good way. I was able to keep an very light grip pressure on the putter. It also allowed great response and feeling through the grip depending on what the ball strike was. What I’m trying to say is just because the grip is HHHHUUUUGGGGEEEE and there is two metric yards of light weight material there, it allows you to feel what the head is doing VERY well. Initially I thought with the weight, texture, and size of the grip, response was going to be lacking and boy was I wrong.
Now to the negative. In the traditional black color scheme this thing is the least attractive putter grip I think I’ve ever seen. Ugly would be the best word to describe it. The size and placement reminds me of Talladega Nights when Ricky Bobby sold his windshield space to a sponsor saying “This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.” However there is good news on this. Looking at their website they have a Union Jack pattern and a white/red option for the same price. If I were to buy one myself, I would favor the red, and then possibly the Union Jack. Both those options have more subtle logos on them.
I have a tee time scheduled for tomorrow to get some real world feedback. It’s at a course I have yet to play, so it should get plenty of use. But so far, other than looks, I like it. I put a ball on top of it for the pics to give a good size reference. Pictures are front, left side, and rear. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.
1587091594798.jpeg
1587091859205.jpeg
1587091978574.jpeg

Do work @billyh !

It’s going to surprise you on the course.....

Ok, this grip is legit. I really had a problem keeping the face square. My most common miss was opening the face and having the ball go right. It's not all gone, but holly crap this grip has helped. I'd say about 90% of my putts went exactly the line I wanted them on. That isn't common for me. If any of you have problems keeping the putter face square, try this grip out. If I have to give it back, I'm going to buy my own. Seriously, it's that good. Using it on course, I don't care what it looks like now with the way it performed. I'm going to take it out again next week and spend about an hour on the putting green with it and the Indi Ramone.

Nice write up @Jman, thanks.

I am due for a new putter grip. I have had a standard grip on for the last 5 years and it is torn to shreds. With that being said, I would want to size up, but probably not all the way up to the Big Daddy Light. Probably lean towards the Snug Daddy 27, love the look of that one 🔥

Nice write up @Jman, thanks.

I am due for a new putter grip. I have had a standard grip on for the last 5 years and it is torn to shreds. With that being said, I would want to size up, but probably not all the way up to the Big Daddy Light. Probably lean towards the Snug Daddy 27, love the look of that one 🔥
Don’t sleep on the light. It’s a really nice grip. After a day and a half I’m a fan.

Don’t sleep on the light. It’s a really nice grip. After a day and a half I’m a fan.

I appreciate your review. I just feel like that one is made for the thumbs next to each other which I don't think I will like. I have always had a standard interlocking fingers light grip that has worked for me. So I figured that the smaller one might fit me better.

Ok, this grip is legit. I really had a problem keeping the face square. My most common miss was opening the face and having the ball go right. It's not all gone, but holly crap this grip has helped. I'd say about 90% of my putts went exactly the line I wanted them on. That isn't common for me. If any of you have problems keeping the putter face square, try this grip out. If I have to give it back, I'm going to buy my own. Seriously, it's that good. Using it on course, I don't care what it looks like now with the way it performed. I'm going to take it out again next week and spend about an hour on the putting green with it and the Indi Ramone.

I completely agree. Don't know whether is the grip or the putting grip change mandated by the grip or a combination of the two. Whatever it is, I am loving it and hope it doesn't go away. Draining 8 foot putts dead center one after the other. That doesn't happen for me. If it translates to the course, I will definitely be picking up a few more of these grips.

I really, really like this grip. If the success I am seeing with it indoors translates to the course, I will be getting a few more of them. Already thinking about which putter(s) I am going to move to be able to afford to buy two or three of them. Haha. Would definitely stick with the heavier models (Original that I am testing or Lite) due to the fact that they are rubber which I greatly prefer to the polyurethane wrap.

To address some of the claims they make on their websites about their grips:
1. Enables a secure and comfortable grip. I agree with these statements. As I mentioned before, I had to totally revamp my putting grip to a "prayer" style grip with hands parallel on with side of the grip and thumbs sitting side by side on the front of the grip to accomodate the grip shape. I never before used this style putting grip but adapted to it very quickly and now am kicking myself in the rear for not trying it many, many years earlier.
2. Reduces wrist break and doesn't twist like more circular grips. I also agree with these statements. The combinations of the grip and aforementioned putting grip encourages a more pendulum style stroke and I see a much more consistent putter swing path from stroke to stroke. The variation of swing path from sometimes starting outside, sometimes starting slightly inside, sometime starting significantly inside just doesn't seem to exist with this grip setup.

The grips are quite costly (around $42) and the availability of where to purchase them from is very limited (which will likely entail a decent sized shipping charge as well from outside the US), but as @billyh said, they are legit and I believe it will be worth the investment to get it on a couple of more putters.

Hmm. I’ve got one of the smaller ones sitting on a Hogan putter here......anyone curious?

Update from the course today. With three rounds on the books with this grip I am seeng a small but noticeable improvement in my putting. I was rushing a bunch of putts today but the more I play this grip and understand it the better my putting is getting. I seems to really be helping me with putter tempo and distance control. I normally have no problems blasting six feet past a hole, especially when rushing puts, but that is now not the normal. I find the technique and tackiness of this grip helps me. I love how I can keep just enough grip pressure to keep the putter in my hands and not have to feel like I’m clamping down on it. I think Gordon Bombay had something when he was teaching his Ducks about soft hands.
Before the round I was in the pro shop talking with one of the employees working the counter about the Two Thumbs grip and he asked if he could see it. I gladly grabbed it from the bag and brought it in. He rolled a couple putts with it and the Indi across the pro shop floor and was impressed. He wasn’t too keen on the prayer grip but loved the size and feel of it. Putting in a more traditional style he commented on how light it was. After telling him a little more about the different grips they offer he said he was going to look them up and possibly get one for himself. He seemed to have a genuine interest in the grip more so than the Indi (we’ll leave that to another thread).

@Sox_Fan and @billyh it sounds like you’re both seeing improvements in feel and consistency. Are you both using the prayer grip and was that a major departure from any putting grips you have tried in the past?

@Sox_Fan and @billyh it sounds like you’re both seeing improvements in feel and consistency. Are you both using the prayer grip and was that a major departure from any putting grips you have tried in the past?
I switched to the prayer grip from a traditional style (right hand low) grip where I kept my right index finger pointed down along the side of the grip. I will add, I am now keeping both index fingers pointed down along each side of the grip. I’m planning on going out again tomorrow morning, weather depending, and I’ll try and take some picks of how I am gripping the putter.

Yes and yes. I had always used primarily a reverse overlap grip with several stints of left hand low mixed in. First time ever using the prayer style and was surprised how easily I adapted to it. I have been playing the game for over 40 years.

I love the sentiment in the review suggesting that more options are a great thing.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm weird. I have no doubt this will provide people the hand positions they want!

Back