Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls and Baller Box

So with 4 layers, I see this as an "X" version of a tour ball?
I see this release as "tough haul" for them.
I need to see a reason to change or test and I'm not sure I'm seeing that.

FWIW, I don't like that either, but in this instance, Wilson used it as a differentiator from the rest of their lineup (not sure if you read the article yet).

I did. Interesting model for them to go to in my opinion. I get it as a differentiator, but easily could just tour level 4 piece ball that should allow you to spin it more, but keep our noticeably softer feel.

or something like that haha.

I’m more in lines with what jman referenced in terms of possibly going backwards and this feeling like they’re reverting. I love wilson. Always have.Really like the people there. Just sometimes they get into their own way when it comes to marketing/implementing designs.

May not be entirely their fault though as the parent company may be calling the shots? I don’t know and I’m sure that’s a strong possibility.

But yeah, that's about everything you don't want to do to get me interested in purchasing.

Well the ball certainly sounds pretty good, the baller box (seriously with that name?) makes zero sense to me. Also seeing the cost of golf balls over a course of a year is frightening haha

Wilson missed the mark yet again. Very intrigued to try this ball, but their pricing is way off when you take Srixon sells their premium ball at $39.99 and often have bulk discounts available. If wilson really wanted to draw new customers and get people playing their product, like me for instance, they need to be pricing themselves in this range, just because it’s cheaper than others by no means takes away from quality, srixon is respected for how high quality their product is, just my 2 cents

I played the Staff FG for a while, dabbled in the FG-X, was too firm for my liking. I'd never go through enough to make the lower $/dozen an interest. Looking forward to finding someone's to try it out to compare

What’s silly to me the whole subscription model to begin with. Why do I need a subscription for something I maybe don’t need every month? Am I that lazy where I can’t go to my local store and buy whatever ball I play the day of or prior to my round? Heck, I might even have a store coupon and play a ball that works with the coupon. There could be sales even! This doesn’t seem to benefit the buyer really in many cases other than they like getting stuff in the mail and they’re too lazy to go out and buy them 🤷🏻‍♂️

Higher ball speed and spin on iron shots is a big thumbs up from me. Subscription model only, along with the name (Baller Box) are minuses. In a very crowded field, I appreciate W/S for thinking outside the box. Just seems a little too complicated for me, especially when there are so many Buy 2 or 3, get 1 free which bring costs per dozen below this without having to wait a month at a time.

An unasked question is how will golf stores feel about this subscription stuff. Some may say take your Duo's and stick them. As JMan said far better than me it seems like Wilson is always going the wrong way. Last thought, are any of their pro players going to game it?

What’s silly to me the whole subscription model to begin with. Why do I need a subscription for something I maybe don’t need every month? Am I that lazy where I can’t go to my local store and buy whatever ball I play the day of or prior to my round? Heck, I might even have a store coupon and play a ball that works with the coupon. There could be sales even! This doesn’t seem to benefit the buyer really in many cases other than they like getting stuff in the mail and they’re too lazy to go out and buy them 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well that is a bit of a tricky one. If the company doesn't have distribution available in the stores, for instance this one with premium balls, they have to think outside of the box.

For instance this line "MORE DISTANCE WITH MORE DISTANCE". No that is not their slang, that would have been mine as a play on words to the pandemic and distancing and needing to purchase this direct from their website.

An unasked question is how will golf stores feel about this subscription stuff. Some may say take your Duo's and stick them. As JMan said far better than me it seems like Wilson is always going the wrong way. Last thought, are any of their pro players going to game it?

I kind of answered that in the above question, but stores are not carrying their premium golf balls in a lot of areas, so I don't think it impacts them negatively. Unless this becomes the only marketing push, then I could see it having some backlash. I dont expect that to happen though.

With all the deals out there right now for Bridgestone, Titleist and Srixon premium balls I just see this working out for Wilson at all at that price proving. This is going to fall flat on its face in a month or two.

Well that is a bit of a tricky one. If the company doesn't have distribution available in the stores, for instance this one with premium balls, they have to think outside of the box.

For instance this line "MORE DISTANCE WITH MORE DISTANCE". No that is not their slang, that would have been mine as a play on words to the pandemic and distancing and needing to purchase this direct from their website.

I get that too. Plus, what good does having it in stores do when most stores aren’t open to let customers see their product.

I get that too. Plus, what good does having it in stores do when most stores aren’t open to let customers see their product.
Do you really need to see a golf ball to purchase it? I'd say no

While I tend to agree, big box stores and green grass for golf balls, make up an overwhelming amount of golf ball sales.

While I tend to agree, big box stores and green grass for golf balls, make up an overwhelming amount of golf ball sales.
I have no doubt that is the case. I was just saying I don't think many need to inspect a golf ball before purchasing like they would a club let's say.

I have no doubt that is the case. I was just saying I don't think many need to inspect a golf ball before purchasing like they would a club let's say.

Agree there. And I think that is why it has started to change a bit. I still go back to golfers not realizing they need that many balls. So green grass purchases happen more than not.

Was gonna say, in stores? Yeah if you're just walking in and you're like hey I need a good ball I don't play much etc etc then packaging goes a long way. Then again, so does the price.

Was gonna say, in stores? Yeah if you're just walking in and you're like hey I need a good ball I don't play much etc etc then packaging goes a long way. Then again, so does the price.
Agree there, packaging can be huge to a non informed buyer and price is a big factor.

Agree there, packaging can be huge to a non informed buyer and price is a big factor.

And so can location on the shelves. End caps are huge!

Lets make a premium ball and not sell it anywhere except for a subscription that has fuzzy math. Step 3 Profit?

Well the ball certainly sounds pretty good, the baller box (seriously with that name?) makes zero sense to me. Also seeing the cost of golf balls over a course of a year is frightening haha
Most people don’t realize how many balls they lose. Nor do they realize how much they spend to replace those balls.

Most people don’t realize how many balls they lose. Nor do they realize how much they spend to replace those balls.
Very true and It's best not to see it added up that way either haha

I'm confused... the article says it's a Wilson Staff model ball available as a dozen but the same ball is also available in the baller box? They're both Staff model balls? Identical? But 2 different prices? and names?:oops:

The name “Baller Box” seems overly cheap to me, especially when you consider that it’s a name for 12 white golf balls in a box. It’s like seeing a bottle of Malibu delivered to a VIP table with the sparklers. Cool, I guess? Even at $43 a dozen This is going to be a hard sell. And to commit to 12 months of a dozen golf balls (as opposed to just 144 golf balls now) to bring the cost to $40 is mystifying to me, since most other tour balls from other brands can be found at a similar price point with a bit of effort or good timing. I am curious to see how they are received. Maybe they will prove to be worth the effort.

Back