Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls and Baller Box

how come i cant get to page 5 to see comments?

Not sure, other than it looked like a double comment, but it is working now.

i kept trying to get to page 5 and it was placing me at page 1🧙‍♂️
either way, ive read through a lot of comments, ive never done the subscription thing and i dont think id try it either. im more of a want to see the ball also, i often like to feel it too. i also dont believe or read over it, what compression is it?
i hope whoever tries them out enjoys them and it turns out to be a good ball. my hands are tied up at the moment. no review here.

I'm curious why you think that? It's not a limited edition, but a subscription, right? So a person with a 6 month season that buys 2 dozen balls a month, should pay more per dozen than the person that plays year round and buys only 1 dozen per month?

I am for de-escalating costs based on longevity, but I think it must also come with reduction based on how many dozen one buys. Maybe I am off base, but there is literally zero incentive to buy more than a single dozen per month and they can pretty much eliminate that drop down, since you are being charged more for them, right?

I agree on the subscription model FWIW. It has been tried, but perhaps a larger brand like Wilson has more success than others have.

Agree, it seems as though a subscription service for anything the point is to get a discount. Why would they not offer one? I know Wilson has been making strides in their product and I've liked past generations of their ball, but is the demand for it that great especially for someone to subscribe? If there was a deeper discount, that could hook people into them to try at least.

I just don't think I can justify the asking price with no personal history with their balls. I still think if a brand really wants to break into a space, they have to start as a better value with similar performance. The ball sounds intriguing. But, not at that price. I liken it to the Cortex driver. I am sure it was a fine stick. I know some people here had it and had good success with it. But, it was priced right up along the biggest names in the industry that had multimillion dollar marketing budgets and a history of performance. I can understand optics. You want your product to be viewed as quality. But, when you are the new kid (or returning after a very long hiatus) in the space, you have to do something to stand apart.

On that same note. I am not about to spend $50 on a one month trial of this program and 1 dozen golf balls. I would rather buy a sleeve of whatever I was interested in trying out.

I don't want to say that this won't work out for them. But, I don't see how it could. But, I don't know.

i kept trying to get to page 5 and it was placing me at page 1🧙‍♂️
either way, ive read through a lot of comments, ive never done the subscription thing and i dont think id try it either. im more of a want to see the ball also, i often like to feel it too. i also dont believe or read over it, what compression is it?
i hope whoever tries them out enjoys them and it turns out to be a good ball. my hands are tied up at the moment. no review here.

They did not supply us with the compression number, but when I get back to the lab, I will test it.

I know this may fire some up, but I feel like Wilson is moving backwards here. They’re taking what I have no doubt is a super solid and well performing golf ball (Frank is GREAT at his job) and slapping a big-box bulk mentality on it but with a name we would have thought was cool in the 90’s.

I just don’t get it.
I agree with you on all if this except I like the name. I love the duo pro ball but the name was bad in my opinion.

Curious strategy by Wilson. Jump into the deep end of a highly competitive market with an unknown product priced higher than many of its proven competitors, using a dubious sales model with no obvious bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Being a Wilson Professional user, I'll be interested in trying this ball out, IF its available without the ballet box subscription.

Hopefully when they have to admit they went the wrong route with the subscription, it won't prevent some level of success for the ball.

The ball looks intriguing, but I'm just not crazy about the subscription model. It'll be interesting to see how this does in an obviously congested market. I am looking forward to seeing feedback from THP'ers once these start circulating.

Being a Wilson Professional user, I'll be interested in trying this ball out, IF its available without the ballet box subscription.

It is for a one month "trial" at $50!

They should run a similar trial like Srixon had with their 6 ball packs with their new Z-Star's. If the ball really performs, you might see some jump on a 3-6 month subscription

I agree with you on all if this except I like the name. I love the duo pro ball but the name was bad in my opinion.
Was referring to “Baller Box”

They should run a similar trial like Srixon had with their 6 ball packs with their new Z-Star's. If the ball really performs, you might see some jump on a 3-6 month subscription
Agreed that they need some kind of intro/sampler gateway. Not many people are going to be lining up for a subscription service to a new ball they've never played, which is priced higher than many premium balls they have played and know they like.

Thanks, I guess that kind ok of knocks me out. Would love to try the ball out but not at $50 a dozen. I agree about a different trial model as s this one won't have legs. I dislike a subscription service for golf balls.

I have played prior Wilson tour balls and really liked them. Same for Duos. I am really unsure about this approach though. Aside from the math, I have to make a long term commitment to a ball I’ve never played in order to see the cost savings. Who’s going to do that other than someone who is already loyal to Wilson? I guess this works as a brand loyalty rewards program but I don’t see how this grows the brand at all.

UPDATE

Received notice from Wilson that they are going to suspend the Baller Box program and just offer the Staff Model in one month trial and the more you buy, the more you save.

Price Breakdown for Staff Model 1 DZ Trial Baller Box:

• Buy 1 for $49.99
  • Buy 2 for $47.49 each and save 6%
  • Buy 3 for $44.99 each and save 11%

Super curious about THPers thoughts on this new setup and pricing structure.

I still don’t love the subscription plan but at least I might try it under this alteration.
It speaks volumes about the power of THP since you were the only source reporting then discussing it online. Hope it works out as a win for them.

Better, but still too pricey imo

I still don’t love the subscription plan but at least I might try it under this alteration.
It speaks volumes about the power of THP since you were the only source reporting then discussing it online. Hope it works out as a win for them.

In this instance, the "subscription" is really just online ordering, since it is 1 month only. I love seeing the reduction based on quantity, but I know based on THPers thoughts on the price, Wilson having the most expensive golf ball on the market from major brands is certainly interesting.

The ball itself seems pretty darn good so far, although no full swings as of yet.

UPDATE

Received notice from Wilson that they are going to suspend the Baller Box program and just offer the Staff Model in one month trial and the more you buy, the more you save.

Price Breakdown for Staff Model 1 DZ Trial Baller Box:

• Buy 1 for $49.99
  • Buy 2 for $47.49 each and save 6%
  • Buy 3 for $44.99 each and save 11%

Super curious about THPers thoughts on this new setup and pricing structure.

This is going to sound terrible and I hate when it gets said...but it’s too much for a Wilson Ball. I say that because I feel like they don’t have the recent history to throw out a ball that should be priced 10 more than say a Z-Star line, and I’ve had some top of the line Wilson balls in the bag years ago. This ball still sounds interesting, but if I walked in to a store and saw Srixon, Bridgestone, Titleist, Callaway, TM, and Wilson Staff all on the shelf, and the Wilson is more than all of those, I’m not reaching for them. There are times where price drives intrigue, but it really doesn’t here.

Pretty funny that they introduced a subscription service, and killed it 24 hours later. Sounds like it wasn’t all that well thought out.

This is going to sound terrible and I hate when it gets said...but it’s too much for a Wilson Ball. I say that because I feel like they don’t have the recent history to throw out a ball that should be priced 10 more than say a Z-Star line, and I’ve had some top of the line Wilson balls in the bag years ago. This ball still sounds interesting, but if I walked in to a store and saw Srixon, Bridgestone, Titleist, Callaway, TM, and Wilson Staff all on the shelf, and the Wilson is more than all of those, I’m not reaching for them. There are times where price drives intrigue, but it really doesn’t here.

Pretty funny that they introduced a subscription service, and killed it 24 hours later. Sounds like it wasn’t all that well thought out.

If I was a betting man I would say the subscription service returns with this new tiered pricing structure (which I did say to them before launch). While I am not a believer in subscription ball services done as ball only, I look forward to seeing THPers thoughts.

Thr pricing thing is so interesting to me and I don’t necessarily disagree. It’s a tough spot though. How does a company put more R&D or produce a better product if they can’t raise prices? I thinkbee would both agree the answer would be really good marketing of said product.

Not sure that is what we will see here, but I’m rooting for it because I love golf ball marketing.

Back