Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls and Baller Box

This seems like a big mistake to me. I guess I don't see why Wilson thinks people would spend more money on an unproven and unknown ball instead of something like a ProV, Bridgestone or Callaway. Even more of you're ordering a ball online why wouldn't you go with something like Snell that is proven and embraced and significantly cheaper? It doesn't sound like a very well thought out plan.

If I was a betting man I would say the subscription service returns with this new tiered pricing structure (which I did say to them before launch). While I am not a believer in subscription ball services done as ball only, I look forward to seeing THPers thoughts.

Thr pricing thing is so interesting to me and I don’t necessarily disagree. It’s a tough spot though. How does a company put more R&D or produce a better product if they can’t raise prices? I thinkbee would both agree the answer would be really good marketing of said product.

Not sure that is what we will see here, but I’m rooting for it because I love golf ball marketing.

Exactly. They need to put the message out about the ball. Why is this ball “better?” There would need to be a damn good campaign built around it. But I can use the past as their blueprint for the future, and I don’t have confidence that they can pull that off.

I’d like to see them succeed here. Not a Anti-Wilson guy at all. Competition is fun.

I'm curious who sets the prices at W/S golf? The Cortex was priced high and now these golf balls.

Better but still off the mark. At that price, whether Wilson makes a good ball or not (and I've got some elite 50's and duos in my bag) is beside the point. At that price, I'm either jumping on Srixon's sale of buy 2 get 1 or Bridgestone, or Titelist Prov's or Prov1x's... I'm not taking the chance on a dozen Wilson... there's not enough reviews out there yet. I know it's a new ball and someone needs to take the chance but... not me... unless there's something extra like a new glove, towel, or something... maybe a dozen of the new staff balls AND a sleeve of something else they make.

If I was a betting man I would say the subscription service returns with this new tiered pricing structure (which I did say to them before launch). While I am not a believer in subscription ball services done as ball only, I look forward to seeing THPers thoughts.

Thr pricing thing is so interesting to me and I don’t necessarily disagree. It’s a tough spot though. How does a company put more R&D or produce a better product if they can’t raise prices? I thinkbee would both agree the answer would be really good marketing of said product.

Not sure that is what we will see here, but I’m rooting for it because I love golf ball marketing.

So what would need to be included in a subscription to make it worthwhile?

So what would need to be included in a subscription to make it worthwhile?

I think the only successful subscription boxes in golf offer a level of surprise with opening, combined with "guarantees" of great savings, right? In my opinion, one of the reasons that the subscription ball market from brands has not worked in the past is for a number of reasons, two of them being, People do not think they need as many golf balls as they do and you have competition.

What I mean by that second one is that if you could insure that all other brands didn't run ridiculously good deals, then it has more merit. But when all of the market share leaders run by 3 and get 1 with free personalization, and you are already higher priced than they are, something is going to need more "oomph" to get the word out.

I agree that Wilson having the most expensive ball seems odd. But over the years that I have folowed the brand they have seemed to always be a bit under the market in balls, irons, wedges and woods up to the Cortex release. Could that the brand or the parent company wants more margin points which isn't unreasonable if they weren't contributing enough to the bottom line. Their prodcut costs and R&D arent any less expensive than anyone else.
Again, kuddos to THP for helping them avoid a huge mistake on what might be a good product. This newest stradegy seems to be what they are used to. Slow growth and profitablitly. Now, let's see if the ball is any good.

I agree that Wilson having the most expensive ball seems odd. But over the years that I have folowed the brand they have seemed to always be a bit under the market in balls, irons, wedges and woods up to the Cortex release. Could that the brand or the parent company wants more margin points which isn't unreasonable if they weren't contributing enough to the bottom line. Their prodcut costs and R&D arent any less expensive than anyone else.
Again, kuddos to THP for helping them avoid a huge mistake on what might be a good product. This newest stradegy seems to be what they are used to. Slow growth and profitablitly. Now, let's see if the ball is any good.

This is a very good point.
My follow up question would be, wouldn't selling direct exclusively do that?

I think the only successful subscription boxes in golf offer a level of surprise with opening, combined with "guarantees" of great savings, right? In my opinion, one of the reasons that the subscription ball market from brands has not worked in the past is for a number of reasons, two of them being, People do not think they need as many golf balls as they do and you have competition.

What I mean by that second one is that if you could insure that all other brands didn't run ridiculously good deals, then it has more merit. But when all of the market share leaders run by 3 and get 1 with free personalization, and you are already higher priced than they are, something is going to need more "oomph" to get the word out.

I see your point and don't disagree. I am very much a fan of subscription models in general, as evidenced by the number of subscriptions I have, ranging from streaming video down to vitamins. It's a convenience factor.

To me, that's the biggest issue with using the model for golf balls: how inconvenient is it to go and buy more balls? That's the selling point I think companies are missing.

UPDATE

Received notice from Wilson that they are going to suspend the Baller Box program and just offer the Staff Model in one month trial and the more you buy, the more you save.

Price Breakdown for Staff Model 1 DZ Trial Baller Box:

• Buy 1 for $49.99
  • Buy 2 for $47.49 each and save 6%
  • Buy 3 for $44.99 each and save 11%

Super curious about THPers thoughts on this new setup and pricing structure.
Ok, so they're now copying the Snell price structure - except all the prices are higher for an unproven product.

Sorry W/S. Swing and a miss.

I actually think their subscription idea was better overall, they just didnt put any real thought into it.

I think the problem with a subscription, or even bulk discounts in the golf ball space is that other companies run sales, or blowout last years product.

I have a few dozen Tour level balls at home that I didnt pay a cent more than $32 CAD for. Hell Srixon balls seem like they're always on sale for $30.

If you want me to commit to MSRP for a period of time you've really got to sweeten the deal somehow.

I think the problem with a subscription, or even bulk discounts in the golf ball space is that other companies run sales, or blowout last years product.

I have a few dozen Tour level balls at home that I didnt pay a cent more than $32 CAD for. Hell Srixon balls seem like they're always on sale for $30.

If you want me to commit to MSRP for a period of time you've really got to sweeten the deal somehow.

This is where I think the subscription model shines. Fans of brands (or brand agnostic) get surprised. So a subscription box might cost $50, and you know you will get a dozen balls, but there might be 2-3 other items with each delivery and you don't know what is coming.

Maybe something like:

• Buy 1 for $49.99. Receive Wilson hat
  • Buy 2 for $47.49 each and save 6%, receive Wilson hat and receive coupon for 20% off next Wilson item purchase (not usable on these balls but can be used on other Wilson balls)
  • Buy 3 for $44.99 each and save 11%, receive Wilson hat, towel, and coupon for 20% off next Wilson item purchase (not usable on these balls but can be used on other Wilson balls)
To me this sweetens the deal and may, MAY get repeat customers...

This is where I think the subscription model shines. Fans of brands (or brand agnostic) get surprised. So a subscription box might cost $50, and you know you will get a dozen balls, but there might be 2-3 other items with each delivery and you don't know what is coming.
My wife does that, or did with boxycharm... she'd get a box quarterly for a set price and it would have stuff in it that she indicated she liked or wanted as well as other trial size items.

Good write up @JB

Man this could not have been introduced at a worse time. $'s are precious to all of us which means we are very unlikely to commit long term to a relatively expensive subscription (I can subscribe to a new driver every 6 months for $30/month). I am not sure this would have made it anyway, but I see this a DOA given the environment it's launching in right now. Wilson seems like a company with good engineers and bad marketing.

This right here. I have only had one subscription service ever. It was fun for a few months getting new apparel. The fun was never knowing the brand or the color, etc. After a while it got repetitive, while it was never the same it became boring. Getting the same golf balls over and over again with no "surprises" would bore me quickly and thats not even talking about the price.

This made a hard pivot. Kudos to them for making the change but I still think it’s going to be a long road to get a subscription model off the ground. I’m curious, of the major brands where does Wilson come in for ball sales market share?

So, I'm now confused. What is W/S "Tour" ball?

This is a very good point.
My follow up question would be, wouldn't selling direct exclusively do that?
It certainly deals with th potential margin issue. But then is there enough sales volume to justify the direct sales model. Will golf shops continue to support Wilson in the club and accessory business when they compete with them in the ball category. I am not sure Wilson's place in the market allows them to have it both ways.

So, I'm now confused. What is W/S "Tour" ball?

I believe @erock9174 and myself discussed this earlier in the thread. Worth checking out.

It certainly deals with th potential margin issue. But then is there enough sales volume to justify the direct sales model. Will golf shops continue to support Wilson in the club and accessory business when they compete with them in the ball category. I am not sure Wilson's place in the market allows them to have it both ways.

I think in this instance, shops will support as long as products deliver (and they do). Most shops were not carrying their premium ball, so it is hard to say we just won't sell one.

Seems to me that Wilson Introduced this ball at a premium price however no data to justify the price in comparison to current 4pc Urethane Golf Balls in the market.
While I'm stuck in the house during a Pandemic, show me something, dazzle me, baffle my preconceived notions.

Just as a side note, I'm sure that this ball is made in Asia. I would think distribution has be some kind of issue with several countries at different levels of lock down.
The timing is just so bad, someone should have stopped this release - pushed back 6 months. I know that they had money invested in it however with almost no golf sales going on, how or why did Wilson think this release was going to be successful?

Last edited:
It almost seems like too rich of an initial investment to try these out, when other known high end balls exist for slightly less.
Would people be more apt, or would you go for it if the model followed: as a first time customer sign up, pick your bundle, and we’ll send you a free sleeve as a trial, then you have a two week trial before we ship your (however many) dozen?

I know that had money invested in it however with almost no golf sales going on, how or why did Wilson think this release was going to be successful?

I think most companies have brought golf balls to market, as people are still playing, but I do agree for the most part. Which is why the first line of the article says "interesting timing".

We got about 12 emails that had questions about shipping and if the office is open or closed.

UPDATE

Received notice from Wilson that they are going to suspend the Baller Box program and just offer the Staff Model in one month trial and the more you buy, the more you save.

Price Breakdown for Staff Model 1 DZ Trial Baller Box:

• Buy 1 for $49.99
  • Buy 2 for $47.49 each and save 6%
  • Buy 3 for $44.99 each and save 11%

Super curious about THPers thoughts on this new setup and pricing structure.
Introducing the "Ballin' on a Budget Box"....

It is still a hard sell with not a single in hand review of the product. Does the cover hold up? How does it feel on full shots? These are all questions that need to be answered before I plop down $50 for a test drive. I trust that Wilson is making a good ball, but its not as if major golf brands have not put out some clunkers that needed to be redesigned (e.g. Snell MTB Red). Heck, some have even had issues from batch to batch (e.g Mizuno). In a world where golf ball companies are producing better and better balls at lower prices, this ball seems like it will have a tough road ahead unless people start putting them in play and it reaches original Kirkland 4-piece levels of hype.

It's funny to me to see how Wilson and Bridgestone are so different right now in the ball market. Wilson comes out with an online purchase program for a very expensive and unknown golf ball. Bridgestone has a refreshed lineup with cool technology that they are heavily marketing and the biggest name in golf backing it plus they have had a buy 3 get 1 free deal. I wonder which one will win...

Back