Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls and Baller Box

Are you saying that people are balking on the price because the dimple count is the same?

It would appear some of the comments in this thread imply that it might be a factor, unless I am misinterpreting that part of the discussion.

I am missing something here. To me, I'm reading this as a bizarre parallel. I guess I am not seeing the dimple count vs price battle. Wilson can charge whatever they want for the golf ball.
This is where I am at. I don't understand the argument here. Wilson can take a ball and price it however they want. They seem to be doing just that. I think I have seen dimple count referenced once here. But, I think the price discussion goes way beyond dimple counts and hits more on marketing and brand perception.

What I really want to know.... is the ball any good? The intrigue is there.

it is...but unlike a truss putter, I want to try this.

But even still, if the core is different, does the dimple count matter?

It all matters. The part about the dimple count was that it was the same as the previous generation, although I made a joke in the original article where I said here it is, but can say that no golfers care.

AND how much better than the previous premium Wilson ball?

It would appear some of the comments in this thread imply that it might be a factor, unless I am misinterpreting that part of the discussion.
This is where I am at. I don't understand the argument here. Wilson can take a ball and price it however they want. They seem to be doing just that. I think I have seen dimple count referenced once here. But, I think the price discussion goes way beyond dimple counts and hits more on marketing and brand perception.
The point being made, I believe, is that if the dimple count/pattern is the same on the new Staff ball, as the other W/S balls, they didn't have to re-tool. So, this, in essence, should keep product costs down, and in turn, consumer price down as well.

There is a video on YouTube of a guy comparing the new Staff ball to a ProV1. It's a crappy video and he raves about how great the Staff ball is. I think he might be a brand ambassador? Maybe? I didn't link it because @JB's OP is way more informative than that video. But, if you're curious, just type Wilson Staff Model Golf Ball in the YouTube search bar.

The Baller name is dumb for a premium ball, imho. Ideally, you launch the new ball after a staffer wins a tournament. But, with the tour shut down and low number of staffers, that wasn't an option. Price it a couple bucks below the competition for a dozen. The buyers program is a good idea. Pricing is messed up though.

I don’t even consider it in price when deciding on a ball. I’d assume at this level the company knows how to make dimples. Where they market it price wise is up to them but I don’t see a price per dimple model being a reality. Haha

The Baller name is dumb for a premium ball, imho. Ideally, you launch the new ball after a staffer wins a tournament. But, with the tour shut down and low number of staffers, that wasn't an option. Price it a couple bucks below the competition for a dozen. The buyers program is a good idea. Pricing is messed up though.

The ball is actually called Staff Model. There is a ton of info in the link in the first post on the launch.

I don’t even consider it in price when deciding on a ball. I’d assume at this level the company knows how to make dimples. Where they market it price wise is up to them but I don’t see a price per dimple model being a reality. Haha
Yeah, me either. I know nothing about dimple counts and the benefits of whatever number the OEM advertises. I just didn't understand the dimple count to price comparison.

I'll let you know once I find one in the woods and try it out.

The ball is actually called Staff Model. There is a ton of info in the link in the first post on the launch.
I know that. But, the baller association is dumb.

That is really perceptive actually and something that gets glossed over a lot. Dimple pattern in golf balls matter. But if I dive into that a bit (great question), golf balls are made with tooling. To use an example that everybody can relate to, Bridgestone was called the B330 for a number of years because they had that many dimples. When the TOUR B came out, there was some naming backlash, but they had to change it, since the dimple count changed.

As you pointed out, the tooling used to create the ball appears to be the same as the DUO Professional ball, that also features the 362 dimples. So from the cover stand point, it would be the same (I have not verified that). As a company bringing out their most expensive golf ball to date at $50 a dozen (although that goes down with bulk purchase), some might have expected a complete rebuild.

None of that says the golf ball is not incredible, because I believe it will be very good. But it is super perceptive and does the opposite of create intrigue for those that have played their balls in the past.
You mentioned the Professional,let's not forget the FG Tour which also has 362 dimples and is a 4 piece ball also!
BTW, I still have the Professional in my rotation. but I still feel that their best ball within the last few years was the Duo-U.

You mentioned the Professional,let's not forget the FG Tour which also has 362 dimples and is a 4 piece ball also!
BTW, I still have the Professional in my rotation. but I still feel that their best ball within the last few years was the Duo-U.

I believe the DUO U has the same tooling as well.

AND how much better than the previous premium Wilson ball?
And what sets it apart from the multitude of other premium balls on the market which are priced lower?

I dunno - I'm not a marketing guy so maybe it's just over my head, but none of it makes any sense to me.

Bumping to ask if we know when this ball will be tested and reviewed.

Bumping to ask if we know when this ball will be tested and reviewed.

In the current climate, I would say small delay, but I have some information coming up soon by request that might help.

I actually like the baller box name. I also love the idea. Its not very often we see a company trying something new. They did drop the ball by not getting them in stores. I am not going to pay 50 bucks to try it especially when a ProV is a few bucks cheaper. I want a dozen to try before signing up for the baller box. 50 bucks is too much. If they could get these down to 35/dzn they got a player.

I bought a dozen cant wait to try I love their irons and the professional ball

This ball really had me interested until I saw the price. Not that it’s outrageous for the type of ball it is, just expensive for me for golf balls.

Even though I have over 60 dozen used pro vs at home I still like to try different golf balls but I can’t justify spending that much just to give it a try. I’d much rather spend $7 on Inesis distance and see how they work but thats just me.

I love the logo and the font on the Wilson balls. Very well done!

Only short game work but got a chance to test these out. They feel decent. Check was what I have expected out of most Wilson premium golf balls. If you like the cover of their previous urethane this one has that same feel. I don’t mean off the club face, but in hand, where it’s almost tacky.

There wasn’t anything that said “whoa”, but it didn’t appear to be lacking. Not the spinniest I have tried, not do I think that is their goal, but it performed fine in this small sample.

Cool. Nothing surprising about the ball... thanks!

Cool. Nothing surprising about the ball... thanks!

Yeah I would say that is fair. I was looking for something to stand out. It didn’t in either a good or bad way.

Back