Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
its not diatribe......its debate and its question and its wonder. And i also fwiw (even living/working in the epicenter) am not living my life at all petrified of this . Cornered certainly but not petrified. A lot of what I mention (whether we are to admit it or not) is a chosen ignored truth. Whenever we are to talk of percentages of people dying in a positive way what we are saying (whether we intend it or not) is that its ok for those folks to die. That is probably something that comes off as insulting but when we truly think about it, thats what is being said. I cant continue to sugar coat while I know that no one really wants to see or hear of folks dying but still it is what it is. Its a willingness to allow "X" amount of folks to die so that the economy stays healthier.

The ideology there? Is that people can also die from economic poverty. But not only is the virus far more the higher threat and likely "at the current time) to kill many more folks than poverty will but we have the wealth to help each other and prevent both. But again we are much too selfish. Even I of course am guilty of that also. I give and have done so during this time and i dont have alot at all but could probably give more than i have done.

Im not so sure its ok to allow the virus to simply go on taking lives for the sake of what imo is mostly materialism (at this point in time). Not when we actually do have the means imo to help each other through this without collapsing into economic disaster.

I would love to see your data on the virus taking more lives than poverty.

The irony in this whole thing is just last week you were complaining that the golf course was too crowded for you to be able to play. It would seem that a luxury like that when lives are being lost would be completely unnecessary and even the slightest chance of infection passing for a recreational activity should not be allowed.

Isn’t that EXACTLY what you are saying here!

“Im not so sure its ok to allow the virus to simply go on taking lives for the sake of what imo is mostly materialism”

Im so tired of people continuing to say, that because I don’t want to lose my business that feeds my family, or watch my sister who is losing hers now that we don’t care about loss of lives.

The ability to help? Who is going to pay for my income or her income and the near 50 million other people’s income for the years to come? Saying we have the ability, without anything to support it is tough to swallow.

Without testing, how do we know the US rate wiith some certainty?

And then there is the report that delay cost 37000 excess deaths in the US. Guess who's getting that blame.

Who knows what to believe?
You bring this up quite frequently, the delay in testing but you then attribute it the a failure of the government. This time you didn't. However, I beleive it was the CDC that caused the delay due to contamination while developing those early tests.

Looks like the offices will be closed nationwide until at least June 15. It's entirely possible that the market I work in, by the time we get step foot in the office we'll be owned by another company. Wild times.

I think that's a disingenuous and sensationalist way of phrasing it, to say the least. It's not about "so that the economy stays healthier" - it's about how many lives are being ruined/lost as a result of the economy remaining shut down versus how many lives would be ruined/lost as a result of not remaining shut down. We're talking about human lives here, not an abstract, impersonal entity ("the economy"). There is a risk vs reward assessment inherent in contemplating any action (or inaction), and no matter which course you choose, there will be human lives at stake. It's not pretty to have to choose which ones you're willing to put at a greater risk, but the numbers are speaking for themselves at this point.

Either way, if we're to believe the latest stats from New York claiming that 66% of their new admissions are from people sheltering at home, how can sheltering at home be considered an effective measure? They're admitting a 66% failure rate in their strategy, I can't think of many situations where that would be considered successful.

This isn't about health. It isn't about the economy, or about human lives. A lot of people have figured out what it's really about, and I'll just leave it at that to honor JB and GG's repeated requests.
3249B15D-D860-4748-8769-3797BB708C48.gif

You can also get turned down if you've had chronic bronchitis....

I'm in full Groundhog the movie mode:

The New Orleans mayor wants to require all businesses re-opening next week to keep a log of all customers served.

Good luck, Rouse's.
To say that she is clueless is an understatement. She also proposed selling $100m in bonds to make up for lost revenue. Latoya is laughable at best. Good news is surrounding parishes are flourishing thanks to her incompetence.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

You bring this up quite frequently, the delay in testing but you then attribute it the a failure of the government. This time you didn't. However, I beleive it was the CDC that caused the delay due to contamination while developing those early tests.

I don't want to go down the political rabbit hole but I can't figure out your comment . So you're saying you believe the delay in testing was a failure of the government?

I don't want to go down the political rabbit hole but I can't figure out your comment . So you're saying you believe the delay in testing was a failure of the government?
Well, technically the CDC is part of the government. It is part of the Department of Health and Human Services.

I just scored a 2 pack of disinfecting wipes and a small travel size hand sanitizer from Target and then 2 larger 8oz bottles of hand sanitizer from CVS. I feel like I won the lottery!
I felt like that when I finally found TP at the grocery store! Then my wife today me it wasn’t the right brand. Me saying it’s the thought that counts did not improve my standing.

I felt like that when I finally found TP at the grocery store! Then my wife today me it wasn’t the right brand. Me saying it’s the thought that counts did not improve my standing.

Haha, that is the hardest part, it's not just finding the TP it's finding the brand you like. I got lucky a couple of weeks ago and randomly went onto Samsclub.com and scored some Charmain. Two seconds after I clicked purchase it was gone. It's all about luck. The CVS by us was stocked with hand sanitizer, they must have had at least 100 bottles, I am guessing even more. They were all over the store, on every end cap, and they had boxes of it behind the register too.

Target just has the small travel size ones and you were only allowed to buy 1. They had wet one wipes too, but you could either get the wet one wipes or the disinfecting wipes, not both. Which is so dumb to me because they are for different things, but that is Target's corporate rule.

I just scored a 2 pack of disinfecting wipes and a small travel size hand sanitizer from Target and then 2 larger 8oz bottles of hand sanitizer from CVS. I feel like I won the lottery!
Funny how it has become rolling outages at the stores, 1st TP, then Margarine and now Flour. (Wipes and Sanitizer being a "Given)
In fact when I was at the store 2 weeks ago, the "Paper" aisle was packed with product.

Funny how it has become rolling outages at the stores, 1st TP, then Margarine and now Flour. (Wipes and Sanitizer being a "Given)
In fact when I was at the store 2 weeks ago, the "Paper" aisle was packed with product.

Paper towel seems to be fairly easy to come by, but TP is still a problem around here.

Haha, that is the hardest part, it's not just finding the TP it's finding the brand you like. I got lucky a couple of weeks ago and randomly went onto Samsclub.com and scored some Charmain. Two seconds after I clicked purchase it was gone. It's all about luck. The CVS by us was stocked with hand sanitizer, they must have had at least 100 bottles, I am guessing even more. They were all over the store, on every end cap, and they had boxes of it behind the register too.

Target just has the small travel size ones and you were only allowed to buy 1. They had wet one wipes too, but you could either get the wet one wipes or the disinfecting wipes, not both. Which is so dumb to me because they are for different things, but that is Target's corporate rule.
I went to the Philippines in early February and we stocked up on sanitizing supplies then so fortunately we’re all set there. My Mom and MIL must be worried about us because we now have an excess supply of homemade masks 😆

I went to the Philippines in early February and we stocked up on sanitizing supplies then so fortunately we’re all set there. My Mom and MIL must be worried about us because we now have an excess supply of homemade masks 😆

I have been fortunate to have a friend give me a homemade mask and my sister sent me a couple of the disposable ones. I know this mask wearing thing is going to become the norm, but I am not a fan. I wear it though, I wore it at the store today, but I don't like it.

Interesting that 90% of COVID19 deaths in Sweden were 70+ years old, compared to 80% in the U.S. They must have much less obesity and other negative health factors.

Dude. They have the Swedish Bikini Team. Enough said.

Paper towel seems to be fairly easy to come by, but TP is still a problem around here.
Trader Joe's apparently keeps TP in stock because they got theirs sourced from a major hotel chain.

Changing gears, for the people with open courses, has there still been a lot of activity?

Here, where we’re still closed, a local course called the police due to neighbors breaking in to play a few holes. I’m hoping for a lot of people filling out tee sheets.
I went to Dallas to play with a buddy and the course was packed. We had to try three different places to even get a tee time almost a week in advance.

I have been fortunate to have a friend give me a homemade mask and my sister sent me a couple of the disposable ones. I know this mask wearing thing is going to become the norm, but I am not a fan. I wear it though, I wore it at the store today, but I don't like it.
Agreed! I wore a surgical mask the whole time on a 13 hour flight and through the airport before and after. I was miserable! Although part of that was because my vacation ending. My wife is working 6-6 shifts right now and she’s in full mask and face shield getup the entire time she’s on the floor in the hospital. I don’t know how they do it!

Agreed! I wore a surgical mask the whole time on a 13 hour flight and through the airport before and after. I was miserable! Although part of that was because my vacation ending. My wife is working 6-6 shifts right now and she’s in full mask and face shield getup the entire time she’s on the floor in the hospital. I don’t know how they do it!

I don't either, it's so hot under there. I feel like I am suffocating.

I think next on the hoarding schedule is meat. It requires a little more skill to properly hoard meat so it may not be as bad, we'll see.

I think next on the hoarding schedule is meat. It requires a little more skill to properly hoard meat so it may not be as bad, we'll see.
I wondered that about milk when everything first went to hell. I regularly get 2 gallons of milk per week, but I wondered if the panicked masses knew how quickly milk goes bad.

A local restaurant has been selling TP for a $1 a roll. They received their monthly shipment of supplies and with no customers, they had an abundance of TP!

I wondered that about milk when everything first went to hell. I regularly get 2 gallons of milk per week, but I wondered if the panicked masses knew how quickly milk goes bad.
Just a quick follow up, I’m not overly concerned about milk shortages because of the reasons outlined below.
1588860562662.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back