Review Blast Motion Gen 3 Review

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Last season, THP was able to spend quite a bit of time using a Blast Motion sensor as a way to help practice with a purpose. What I found was that it was an efficient way of identifying some flaws within my putting stroke. After working on correcting those issues, there was a noticeable improvement on the greens, which produced a much more successful putting season than had been achieved in previous years. There has always been the thought that the fastest way to improve one’s scores is to make improvements within the short game. While the last generation of Blast Motion focused mostly on putting and full-swing analytics, the newest update to both the sensor and software unlocks golfers to take that same deep dive into dialing in their short game.

1-3.jpg

Continue reading...

As a fan of golf tech, glad this was sent in for review. Great review Dean. With the 50% promo, this makes a lot of sense and could be particularly useful for those SIP.

• Staff
As a fan of golf tech, glad this was sent in for review. Great review Dean. With the 50% promo, this makes a lot of sense and could be particularly useful for those SIP.

I like how there is a lot you can do it with it. JB asked the other day about if people actually practice their putting. Something like this made practicing a bit more productive and enjoyable because I knew exactly what I was looking for out of that session.

The angle of attack stuff is cool and can help in a few areas. I still got some wonky speeds at times, but like I mentioned, for the most part it was consistent.

Android app needs to be updated. The latest update to it came in mid April and still does not include the new metrics. That is just a bummer.

Android is such a pain, its one of the reasons I made the switch to iOS a couple years ago and never looking back. Anyway pretty cool little device I do agree it could make putting practice more fun. How easy is it to switch from club to club?

Nice review. I really like how the prior gen blast sensor worked the putter aspect. This new generation looks very promising.

My only issue is having to pay 75 to upgrade my sensor to get the new readings. But, I guess that’s better then having a yearly subscription.

• Staff
Nice review. I really like how the prior gen blast sensor worked the putter aspect. This new generation looks very promising.

My only issue is having to pay 75 to upgrade my sensor to get the new readings. But, I guess that’s better then having a yearly subscription.

You know, I'm glad you say that because I was juggling that thought in my mind. If I bought one last summer for 150 but was enjoying it enough, would I dole out another 75 for new features? I really don't know. I guess it would depend on my usage of it. I did try to trick the system with the old sensor, but it shot me down.

Android is such a pain, its one of the reasons I made the switch to iOS a couple years ago and never looking back. Anyway pretty cool little device I do agree it could make putting practice more fun. How easy is it to switch from club to club?
Others will give their thoughts, but the rubber attachment can get a bit testing to some trying to change from one club to another. I would recommend staying with one club your practicing a session. However, I also use Arccos and purchased the rubber attachments for each club to help keep those sensors in place. If you happen to have multiple attachments the change over from club to club is extremely easy.

• Staff

you know it's interesting. My work phone is an Android device, mostly because I already have an iPhone so I want to make sure I have access to both. Plus the android choice was better than the iPhone option that was given. Anyway, I find most apps now have been quite good and given updates that offer a strong majority of the iphone functionality. Like I said to Morgan when she was editing, it's 2020, can we stop it with this crap and just make everything work as it's intended.

• Staff
Forgot to answer the switching question from @jdtox

I wouldn't do it after every 5 swings. But what I did do is if I was hitting a driver for say 20 swings, take a quick drink break, throw it on the 5 iron, rinse and repeat. Theres a little bit of a hassle because you need to make sure it's lined up, but in reality we are talking about a process that should take most less than a minute.

Others will give their thoughts, but the rubber attachment can get a bit testing to some trying to change from one club to another. I would recommend staying with one club your practicing a session. However, I also use Arccos and purchased the rubber attachments for each club to help keep those sensors in place. If you happen to have multiple attachments the change over from club to club is extremely easy.

I'm an arccos user as well. While in the garage I would just unscrew the sensor, but on the range I can see where that would be a pain.

That’s a great article Dean.

Do you think I’d enjoy the putting metrics?

That’s a great article Dean.

Do you think I’d enjoy the putting metrics?

I do. The rotational data and helping give instant feedback on if you are even the slightest open or closed is cool. The previous model always gets the credit from me in terms of how I fixed my putting last season. For the price its at right now, I think there is more than enough data, esp on the putting side, to make it a worth while purchase.

I do. The rotational data and helping give instant feedback on if you are even the slightest open or closed is cool. The previous model always gets the credit from me in terms of how I fixed my putting last season. For the price its at right now, I think there is more than enough data, esp on the putting side, to make it a worth while purchase.
Dang you.

Dang you.

they have some more in depth stuff for coaches too that could interest you as the golf coach. I wasn't able to really take a dive in to that pool though.

they have some more in depth stuff for coaches too that could interest you as the golf coach. I wasn't able to really take a dive in to that pool though.
I was thinking about that, a lot.

Thanks, Dean, picked one up today. I had one for $75 from a couple of years ago. Lost it.

Thanks, Dean, picked one up today. I had one for $75 from a couple of years ago. Lost it.

Thanks for giving it a read man.

Hey Dean....something showed up.

Mine just arrived today.

Excited to see what both of you think.

This is addicting.

B45B32A4-C840-4A46-AB74-C178CFD71934.png

I picked up mine last December. Its a great tool with lots of data.

For anyone who loves to chase numbers or practice through metrics, this is great. $150 doesn't seem like much if it will actually help you improve. Personally I probably wouldn't get it myself because I can see it causing me to be even more mental about everything, but I love what it can provide.

For anyone who loves to chase numbers or practice through metrics, this is great. $150 doesn't seem like much if it will actually help you improve. Personally I probably wouldn't get it myself because I can see it causing me to be even more mental about everything, but I love what it can provide.

interesting on the chase numbers part. I've been one who says people don't need personal launch monitors because that is what it can easily turn in to. This I view slightly differently because in my mind it's not so much about chasing numbers, but trying to obtain certain goals. Not saying your thoughts are invalid on it, because they definitely aren't. On my end, I just view it differently. For example, it shows me that my tempo with long irons drastically changes at times from what I get with the irons I hit better. So something to work on that gives me instant feedback.

I picked up mine last December. Its a great tool with lots of data.

I think there is enough here to make practice more pointed and enjoyable.

Back