Titleist Vokey SM8 Wedges

L

Lots of ways to fix/manage that.

Agree, and I've done some of them in previous years. I've learned that I prefer to keep things as close to standard/preferred swingweight without a bunch of other fixes. Eveeryone has their own path. Enjoy your wedges! They look great.

Wow those looks pretty sweet! I'm digging the raw more after seeing your pics but I think I'm still leaning hard with the Jet Black. My wedge game has been really good lately with my two SM7's and I can't wait to get the new set of SM8's!
I think after I stamp them this weekend, I’m going to do an instarust video next week, will be fun to get a thick first layer on them and make some people cringe hahaha

Also, the grinds......

1) The 62 M is going to be lethal for me.

2) The 54 D though is like my beloved M grind on steroids. Excited to get it out and about ecentually!

Got a new sm8 50 08. Switched to same shaft that is in my irons. So there is a little different feel than my original spin milled vokeys.

I think after I stamp them this weekend, I’m going to do an instarust video next week, will be fun to get a thick first layer on them and make some people cringe hahaha
Interesting.:unsure:

I think I'm in the let happen naturally crowd but it is something to ponder.

Interesting.:unsure:

I think I'm in the let happen naturally crowd but it is something to ponder.
I’m in the let’s entertain THP’ers on quarantine crowd haha!

Too bad you don't have a 2nd of one of the wedges where you could do instant rust on one and keep the other normal and see if you have different performance from the two.

Too bad you don't have a 2nd of one of the wedges where you could do instant rust on one and keep the other normal and see if you have different performance from the two.
There’s no difference, rust doesn’t create more spin. Old wives tale in golf.

Think I’m going to do a little work with these indoors today and see how things gap out and where I may or may not need to tweak things lift and lie wise.

So. I sort of really like these. Just indoors so far, but the D grind is beeeeeeefy.

So. I sort of really like these. Just indoors so far, but the D grind is beeeeeeefy.
I got a new 50 08 with steel fiber i95 shaft comparing it to my old original spin milled vokeys. So far I’m pretty happy with the new 50.

are they cast or forge?

they look better than SM7 and SM6

12E01473-D7B5-4C1C-9BA3-2B4B37B9AC0A.png

Awesome custom wedges from Modern Golf built for auction.

For those that are gaming the raw version of these, what have your experiences been? Notice any additional spin or feel as they start to rust?

For those that are gaming the raw version of these, what have your experiences been? Notice any additional spin or feel as they start to rust?

It’s pretty well established at this point the rust does not impart more spin to wedges.

Finally got these outside yesterday.

:love::love::love:

The 62M is perfect for what I do, and the D grind on the 54 is amazeballs.

From Voshall and JB on their live, Chris explained that due to the lack of plating on raw wedges, initially they will spin more. The corners will be sharper without the plating. Raw wedges will wear quicker though, so after some time of use the plated ones will actually spin more.

If you hold on to wedges for a long time (like me), plated may make more sense. If you want ultimate spin and don’t mind regularly investing in wedges, you may prefer raw.

From Voshall and JB on their live, Chris explained that due to the lack of plating on raw wedges, initially they will spin more. The corners will be sharper without the plating. Raw wedges will wear quicker though, so after some time of use the plated ones will actually spin more.

If you hold on to wedges for a long time (like me), plated may make more sense. If you want ultimate spin and don’t mind regularly investing in wedges, you may prefer raw.

I saw that; it’s why I wanted some of our THP experience and feedback to go along with it!

I’ve never played raw wedges so it’s a curious thing to me - I suspect the raw aspect is primarily there for aesthetics with some added performance. The Live talk definitely peaked my interest about the short term nature of added spin as well

I saw that; it’s why I wanted some of our THP experience and feedback to go along with it!

I’ve never played raw wedges so it’s a curious thing to me - I suspect the raw aspect is primarily there for aesthetics with some added performance. The Live talk definitely peaked my interest about the short term nature of added spin as well
Performance difference isn’t real to me with them, I just love the way they look.

Performance difference isn’t real to me with them, I just love the way they look.

This is what I have long understood. We mere mortals cannot manipulate a wedge enough to see discernible difference in spin between a raw and plated wedge.

No L Grind 58 anymore. That surprised me.
The SM7 58-04 was/is a good club, but apparently not a big seller.

Will probably help the RTX-4 58-03 (XLow) sales for those of us who like that kind of club.

For now, the SM7 is still readily available, but that probably won't be for long.

I might marry the 62 M-grind after today.

Back