Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls and Baller Box

If you are not doing anything on Wednesday there is a live Q&A with Wilson Golf...

Screenshot_20200427-212313__01.jpgScreenshot_20200427-212328__01.jpg

Kinda funny they didn’t have Frank holding the right ball or photo shoot it but in the current situation, I think that might be expected
Good catch didn't even notice!

Good for Wilson to infuse some excitement into the STAFF launch. I think they messed up the Baller Box to a point where they will just have to let it grow organically if it grows at all.
Perhaps this shows that players who pay over $45 for their ball don't need any fancy campiagn. They need real data, maybe tour validation and perhaps a deal to get them on board with the first purchase. W/S isn't adept or doesn't execute these out of the box marketing ideas.

The "Seriously" Duo Ball ads
DvD1: Triton ruled non-conforming
DvD2: Cortex priced aggressively
Baller Box: Poor Math

Last edited:
Oooops, i posted in the wrong thread.

Wondering if any other THPers jumped in on this and have tried these?

With golf taking off in a restart and people excited to get out there and play, the model (no pun intended) is fascinating to me.

Not me. I am interested in the ball but not the model.
I would love to hear what Tim Clarke or someone at Wilson has to say in a video chat with you.

Wondering if any other THPers jumped in on this and have tried these?

With golf taking off in a restart and people excited to get out there and play, the model (no pun intended) is fascinating to me.
I called my friend who is a W/S dealer last week to see if they sent him any to try. He hasn't received any yet. I would like to try it, but $50 bucks for something unknown is kinda crazy. They should do trial sleeves!

Found this video on YouTube. This video was released 17 days ago with only 419 views!! Wilson/Staff YouTube channel only has 2.75K subscribers!!! For a comparison, THP Golf TV has 4.54K subscribers! People are stuck at home craving content, and this only mustered 400+ views in 2.5 weeks! And, W/S is wondering why their market share is so low!

Found this video on YouTube. This video was released 17 days ago with only 419 views!! Wilson/Staff YouTube channel only has 2.75K subscribers!!! For a comparison, THP Golf TV has 4.54K subscribers! People are stuck at home craving content, and this only mustered 400+ views in 2.5 weeks! And, W/S is wondering why their market share is so low!

Hard to go by views and counts and subscribers sometimes. For instance, we use YouTube, but its only a hosting site. Others with tens of thousands use it for their website. In our case, videos go to website, forum, mobile app and other places, where the “view count” is iffy at best.

With that said, Wilson has not done a good job of marketing that side of things, I agree. But youtube stats are hard to use as the measuring stick.

Just an update the failed Instagram live will be going live here at 12pm ET.Screenshot_20200512-102907__01.jpg

I would love to try the ball. But I honestly have zero interest in a subscription based ball purchase plan.

I would love to try the ball. But I honestly have zero interest in a subscription based ball purchase plan.

See the update to the article and this thread.
They have abandoned that and are just selling them for $50 a dozen with discounts for multiple boxes sold.

See the update to the article and this thread.
They have abandoned that and are just selling them for $50 a dozen with discounts for multiple boxes sold.

oh, well color me out of date then!

$50 seems like a lot....... I am not sure I can pay that for a Wilson ball. I know that is probably wrong, but I am sorry I have pre-conceived notions regarding Wilson that tell me the ball is not worth that... I fully admit it as a bias.

oh, well color me out of date then!

$50 seems like a lot....... I am not sure I can pay that for a Wilson ball. I know that is probably wrong, but I am sorry I have pre-conceived notions regarding Wilson that tell me the ball is not worth that... I fully admit it as a bias.

Hahah, no apologies, everybody has it with a few things. I said the new Kia Telluride looked amazing, but no way I am going to spend 50k for a Kia.

FWIW, I think you are not alone and based on the questions asked in this thread, I would say more like the masses.

Hahah, no apologies, everybody has it with a few things. I said the new Kia Telluride looked amazing, but no way I am going to spend 50k for a Kia.

FWIW, I think you are not alone and based on the questions asked in this thread, I would say more like the masses.

Haha, thanks! I just wanted to be sure and be clear as to my reason. This whole things just points to Wilson struggling to discover itself. Do you think it is a bad look abandon an idea so quickly? I guess even if it was shown to be a bad idea? That does not instill confidence in me as a consumer.

Haha, thanks! I just wanted to be sure and be clear as to my reason. This whole things just points to Wilson struggling to discover itself. Do you think it is a bad look abandon an idea so quickly? I guess even if it was shown to be a bad idea? That does not instill confidence in me as a consumer.

I actually applaud the look, they just lacked the communications to talk with their media relationships to have them update like we did. Then again, few have had conversations like this one on the subject.

I still view it as such a simpler thing. We created the best ball we have ever created and it costs more to do so. We want you to try it first.

Instead its a Staff Model, which is also a Baller Box, which is only a Staff Model, and a subscription gets more or less expensive for the exact same amount? The whole thing was a cluster f**k of awful.

This is what happens when you come up with a name you like (Baller Box) and try anything to get it to fit, but don't have the "horses" to nail the messaging. My opinion anyway.

When is Wilson Staff going to dump their current advertising agency and replace it with one that can help them generate buzz and excitement?

I actually applaud the look, they just lacked the communications to talk with their media relationships to have them update like we did. Then again, few have had conversations like this one on the subject.

I still view it as such a simpler thing. We created the best ball we have ever created and it costs more to do so. We want you to try it first.

Instead its a Staff Model, which is also a Baller Box, which is only a Staff Model, and a subscription gets more or less expensive for the exact same amount? The whole thing was a cluster **** of awful.

This is what happens when you come up with a name you like (Baller Box) and try anything to get it to fit, but don't have the "horses" to nail the messaging. My opinion anyway.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

When is Wilson Staff going to dump their current advertising agency and replace it with one that can help them generate buzz and excitement?

While they do have a PR agency for outside golf media, they have marketing and communications in house.
We have held multiple events with them and the President of the company and THPers have always had a great time.

With that said, this community at least has been pretty vocal about the last year or so at Wilson Staff.

While they do have a PR agency for outside golf media, they have marketing and communications in house.
We have held multiple events with them and the President of the company and THPers have always had a great time.

With that said, this community at least has been pretty vocal about the last year or so at Wilson Staff.

I think Wilson needs to look at Cobra and see what they can take away from their business model.

I think the ball looks awesome. Always loved the W/S logo.. digging the font choices and the big numbers BUT seeing as they already have scratched the subscription model (ouch....that was quick) I am getting the feeling that the price point at $50 a dozen won't hold out either. If you are selling it at $50 then I should be thrilled about getting it at $40. Would I jump at $40? Yawn. So I think it is still a ways off.

I wonder if Wilson uses one ad agency and one marketing/pr group for all of their many product categories. It seems generic. A lot of THPers dismiss Wilson for being a big box or discount brand. Based on their marketing efforts I understand that mind set. They have great looking irons, balls, wedges and decent woods under the Staff name but promote them in a way that is invisible. Golf doesn't work that way. Invisible mean you can't be seen. They are invisible.

I wonder if Wilson uses one ad agency and one marketing/pr group for all of their many product categories. It seems generic. A lot of THPers dismiss Wilson for being a big box or discount brand. Based on their marketing efforts I understand that mind set. They have great looking irons, balls, wedges and decent woods under the Staff name but promote them in a way that is invisible. Golf doesn't work that way. Invisible mean you can't be seen. They are invisible.

They just won the US Open too. First major in over 10 years. Woodland doesn't move any needles. It's just pretty hard to compete with the big guns when the big guns are grabbing all the talent.

Back