2020 Better You Fitness Thread

35 min on the treadmill....negated by carne asada torta and asada fries :facepalm:

Have a spin bike arriving today for use with the Peloton app. Pretty excited to see how this goes.

Hit PRs on the Big 3 exercises this weekend.

Squat: 375
Bench: 225
Deadlift: 345

I normally don't try to hit PR's too often. Did a "virtual weightlifting meet" via Instagram with a ton of home gym prizes available, so I worked up to these over the last month. Was fun but my rotator cuffs are killing me and I'll be happy to go back to low weight/high reps soon.

Put 3 more miles in today. First time I've dropped a sub-8 minute mile on a run longer than 2 miles since I started running again this year.

Got my 150 pushups and some yoga in the last few days. Feeling really good. Excited to be walking 18 today!

I've fallen off the wagon since my little injury and have only exercised once in over a week. Need to get back at it, I already feel the difference.

I've fallen off the wagon since my little injury and have only exercised once in over a week. Need to get back at it, I already feel the difference.
I had to take some time off and it was more difficult getting back into it than I thought it would be. I lacked energy and motivation. Now that I've gotten back to my old routine I'm feeling back to normal with more energy.

I had to take some time off and it was more difficult getting back into it than I thought it would be. I lacked energy and motivation. Now that I've gotten back to my old routine I'm feeling back to normal with more energy.
It really is but knowing that you feel better helps. Didn't help that the weather went to crap all last week. The sun is my power source haha

It really is but knowing that you feel better helps. Didn't help that the weather went to crap all last week. The sun is my power source haha
I hear you about the sun. When I come up from my basement office and the weather is crap, so goes my mood. If the sun is shining I have renewed energy. Here's to some better weather in May!

About through week 6 of my run program. VO2 max is up about 4 points right now. Weight is really weird right now and has gone way up even though food intake has been on the right path. Not a big issue.

My VO2 max shooting way up quickly makes me wonder how much of my fitness is my body relearning connections vs actually building aerobic capacity and muscle strength. When I started my run program I was at an 8:30ish mile but 6 weeks later I'm on the doorstep of 6 minute miles (run yesterday with hills was 6:18). Long run over the weekend I packed out at 7:30. You dont just drop 2 minutes especially with this couch to 5k program I'm basically doing.

I have been using the X3 bar for "weight training" since my gym closed. I am so impressed by the results, I won't be going back to the gym. I also have gotten back on my road bike and I'm up to 15 mile rides. That is no where close to where I was 2 years ago when 25-30 mile rides were easy training rides during the week with 40-60 miles weekend rides.

My problem with the bike is weather right now. We get a few days of good weather then right back to the rain.

Have kept a good mix of walking and working out. Also played 3 18 hole rounds and a 9 in the past week. One cart round the rest was walking. I worked out before my round on Friday and had one of my best rounds to date. May have to try that again.

Some workout are just exhausting. Today was one of those days. 10 sets of dead lifts followed by some pull downs and core work. I have a bad back so doing these keeps it stronger, but man is it exhausting. Followed that up with a 2 mile walk with the dogs.

I put in 4 miles yesterday after work. I didn't eat all day and figured I'd die if I didn't so I ate a heaping spoonful of peanut butter for I left with a bit of milk to wash it down. Glad I did, too, because I think I would've died if I hadn't.

3 more today...Screenshot_20200515-175434_Connect.jpg

I trained twice this week!

Started with some ridiculously light weights, trying to avoid DOMs (delayed offset muscle soreness). Went well. The next day I spent 30 minutes on a treadmill walking on a 15% incline.

Also, elbow isn't better. I'm pretty sure there is a ligament torn in there, not a tendon. Which stinks, but I'll live and work around it.

I trained twice this week!

Started with some ridiculously light weights, trying to avoid DOMs (delayed offset muscle soreness). Went well. The next day I spent 30 minutes on a treadmill walking on a 15% incline.

Also, elbow isn't better. I'm pretty sure there is a ligament torn in there, not a tendon. Which stinks, but I'll live and work around it.

Hope you can manage to work around it and still get a decent workout in. I know the pain (figurative) of being forced to sit out when you wanna train.

Went running with my daughter again and ended up carrying her back.. Time to get an x-ray of her ankle.. Good exercise for me having to carry her back to the house

Went running with my daughter again and ended up carrying her back.. Time to get an x-ray of her ankle.. Good exercise for me having to carry her back to the house
How far did you hoof it with her? How old?

No run today. Rest day.

Tomorrow's goal is 9 miles. Hoping to get through it. Doesn't have to be fast. Just has to get done.

Rest day for me today. Looking forward to feeling ready to get back at it tomorrow. Still walked the dogs as it’s good active recovery.

Had a great workout this morning. Chest, back, and core in a circuit. Worked myself right into exhaustion. Didnt eat well yesterday so it hit me really hard. Good news is a slight diet change and Im rebounding nicely. Have to prepare my body for a leg workout tomorrow. Took the dogs for a two mile walk because they wanted to go.

Had a great workout this morning. Chest, back, and core in a circuit. Worked myself right into exhaustion. Didnt eat well yesterday so it hit me really hard. Good news is a slight diet change and Im rebounding nicely. Have to prepare my body for a leg workout tomorrow. Took the dogs for a two mile walk because they wanted to go.

I'm glad one of us got a good workout in. Today was the first run I've been disappointed in for a while.

Planned to run 9, but I got out on the loop around the lake (10 miles) and decided to turn back at 3.3 to go for a ~6.5 mile run. Glad I did, too, because my hips started cramping pretty good at about 5.5 miles. Silver lining is, at least I'm getting better at listening to my body and knowing when to call it. I don't wanna go through a shin splint like I did in '14. That had me out for 2.5 months and that's no fun.

I'm glad one of us got a good workout in. Today was the first run I've been disappointed in for a while.

Planned to run 9, but I got out on the loop around the lake (10 miles) and decided to turn back at 3.3 to go for a ~6.5 mile run. Glad I did, too, because my hips started cramping pretty good at about 5.5 miles. Silver lining is, at least I'm getting better at listening to my body and knowing when to call it. I don't wanna go through a shin splint like I did in '14. That had me out for 2.5 months and that's no fun.
Sometimes knowing when to say when is what makes it a great workout. Some days are better than others.

Sometimes knowing when to say when is what makes it a great workout. Some days are better than others.
Definitely. I think I'm learning that with age.

Back