Would you enjoy golf more if it was easier?

Would you enjoy golf more if it was easier?

• NO WATER on the course

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nets along both sides of the fairway to act like "bumpers" as seen in bowling

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Doing this as sort of a spin off of my "From what do you derive joy in the game of golf?" thread. Some people there (yeah, I am one of them) say that they derive joy from the challenge of the game.

So, the question for this thread is simple. Would you find more joy in the game if it were easier? Check off the boxes of the tweaks that you think would make the game more fun because it would make the game easier.

I want it easier one day of the year so I could shoot even par, then back to challenging where I have to earn it through practice and concentration

Nope, the difficulty makes it a like a rube goldberg machine. It's a neverending supply of new challenges.

I want it easier one day of the year so I could shoot even par, then back to challenging where I have to earn it through practice and concentration

Wouldn't that cheapen the "par" though? I'd never be able to talk about it if I did it like that. As it stands now, my best score is a 75 (+4) and I barely like to talk about it because I did it from 5800 yards.

Wouldn't that cheapen the "par" though? I'd never be able to talk about it if I did it like that. As it stands now, my best score is a 75 (+4) and I barely like to talk about it because I did it from 5800 yards.
Naw, I would know it has an asterisk by it, but it would be a good walk ;). I shot par years ago, but then left the game for over a decade, so not sure if I will get back there again at my age, though I'm trying.

Nope, the difficulty makes it a like a rube goldberg machine. It's a neverending supply of new challenges.

Another thing I love about this game. One day to the next, one course to the next, one round to the next, it's never the same.

I’m going with a “no” for me, but I do think golf could be a more attractive sport to a broader audience if it was easier. But I’m not sure how to make it so. Bigger cups or juiced equipment? It’s tough to make significant changes without fundamentally altering the game.

The challenge is all part of it, means you can play against yourself and the course as much as against anyone else. Might be good to help people get into the game though?

I’m going with a “no” for me, but I do think golf could be a more attractive sport to a broader audience if it was easier. But I’m not sure how to make it so. Bigger cups or juiced equipment? It’s tough to make significant changes without fundamentally altering the game.

I think what's missing, and I probably have changed my view on this greatly in the past couple of years since coming back to the game, is that, while this game is difficult to play well, it's not exactly difficult to play "acceptably". Hear me out now.

I started this game when I was 22 and self taught. I didn't have the luxury of YouTube instructors, golf forums for tips, etc. It was 1999, my thoughts were long and my hair was short. Oops, off topic. The point is, I struggled to learn the game and it took me a while just to break 90. If I remember correctly, I shot an even 90 twice in 9 months, but it took me nearly 2 years more to shoot 89. I didn't break 80 for another 3-4 years. I had one lesson in my first 6 years.

Since I came back to the game in late 2016, I've had a few lessons and I can see the immense value in getting with a competent instructor to help you as you progress. I think most people could get to the point where they could play reasonably... not lose balls too often, keep the ball moving in the general direction they intend, etc. and probably shoot in the low 90's most of the time, if they would get lessons and practice. I'm not just talking about beating balls at the range either. There has to be a method to the madness.

Most people don't want to put in the time (and money) to improve their game and then are frustrated when the game is "hard". I dunno. That's just my $0.04 (I counted double since I got a little long winded).

I would quickly get bored if it were easier. My answer is no.

I would quickly get bored if it were easier. My answer is no.

I feel the same. Surprised the poll is looking the way it looks at this point based on other threads, but it's great to see.

Love the challenge. I don't play sports competitively anymore (I do coach but that's different) so the difficulty that comes with golf along with the always changing nature of it is what draws me to it. No two rounds are the same on the exact same course, let alone if you go play somewhere you're not used to

I didn't vote. Some choices are not reasonable. Others are too time consuming.

I like golf because it is tough to play. It's toughness is what sets it apart from other games, and/or sports.

On another note, I think quite a few golfers make their golf games tougher on themselves than they needs to. They put too much importance on achieving "scratch player" status.

I don't want it easier. Now granted I'm not sure I want it tougher either. If I do, I go to a different course. Bottom line for me is that part of the fun of the game is the challenge. I want to be challenged. I want to be pushed to improve. The competitiveness and drive for improvement in me, doesn't want it to be easier. I want to be on the never-ending hunt to get a better score, to play better, and to improve. That being said, there are times that I just enjoy being out there with friends, family, just for the fun and enjoyment of being out there.

No. Again, unpopular opinion around here, I'm all for making the game harder. play it down, smaller drivers, no alignment aids, etc. That's where the enjoyment is, accomplishing something that is hard.

I didn't vote. Some choices are not reasonable. Others are too time consuming.

I like golf because it is tough to play. It's toughness is what sets it apart from other games, and/or sports.

On another note, I think quite a few golfers make their golf games tougher on themselves than they needs to. They put too much importance on achieving "scratch player" status.

Yes, no, and other are fairly reasonable and not too time consuming. I mean, yeah, some of the choices are out there, but that's why the "Other" option was there. You can still participate in the poll.

No. Again, unpopular opinion around here, I'm all for making the game harder. play it down, smaller drivers, no alignment aids, etc. That's where the enjoyment is, accomplishing something that is hard.

I the only way I could like it more is if I could make it easier with my ability to hit the ball and score.

@Gman79, I'm confused. You picked "No", but then selected LC&P and mulligans. So, you do think it'd be more fun with those changes?

This is a good one. I think its both for me. On one hand I personally enjoy the challenge and the grind to improve and get better and satisfaction I get when I actually do play better, which may be lost if it "got easier". But on the other hand it might increase enjoyment if the game was easier so you could socially play with friends who aren't avid golfers. Kinda the bowling with bumpers discussion. An excellent bowler can go have a few beers and roll a few frames with a amateur "hack" of a friend. It might be kinda nice to do that sometimes with golf.

This is a good one. I think its both for me. On one hand I personally enjoy the challenge and the grind to improve and get better and satisfaction I get when I actually do play better, which may be lost if it "got easier". But on the other hand it might increase enjoyment if the game was easier so you could socially play with friends who aren't avid golfers. Kinda the bowling with bumpers discussion. An excellent bowler can go have a few beers and roll a few frames with a amateur "hack" of a friend. It might be kinda nice to do that sometimes with golf.
It can be done. Back some twenty years ago my wife and I joined a club that had a lot older players Most had not played for very long taking up golf at retirement. The wives also played to be with the husband. We played with all of them at one time or another and enjoyed the heck out of in. It did not matter that we were both shooting in the 70s and they had a hard time getting into the nineties. We played and enjoyed it knowing someday that could be us.

It can be done. Back some twenty years ago my wife and I joined a club that had a lot older players Most had not played for very long taking up golf at retirement. The wives also played to be with the husband. We played with all of them at one time or another and enjoyed the heck out of in. It did not matter that we were both shooting in the 70s and they had a hard time getting into the nineties. We played and enjoyed it knowing someday that could be us.

This. I mean, once you get to the point where you can hit the ball and advance it forward, we're only talking about score. The handicap system takes care of making the competition fair from that point, if that's what you're after. If competition ain't your thing, then like Gus says, who care if you're shooting 70 and they're shooting 90 (or 120), just enjoy the round together.

Like another poster mentioned, I do love the challenge as it is a feeling of accomplishment that I play well on a tough course or in tough conditions. on the other hand, I have a few friends who don’t play a lot or just aren’t great and that’s ok, but if the game was easier, I know they would have more fun and that make our time together better overall.

Back