CONTEST The Grandmama: Win A Full Bag Of Callaway Equipment, A Trip and More

I already have a prior engagement with the Grandaddy, but I felt like I had to share my love affair with the Supersoft:

I vividly remember fishing you out of the water. Your bright red finish drew my eye. Next round, we teed off on the first hole. The distance was fantastic and the feel was great. You stopped on command even on firm greens. The sound with the putter was pure. We nearly holed out for my first ace. The tap-in birdie was sweet. The very next hole it all went awry. I watched as you sliced over the creek and into the trees. Our five hole even-par run had come to an end. I went home and ordered a fresh dozen.

Man this is a little nerve wracking knowing we'd have access to the Callaway production team! This is an incredible opportunity though and I'm definitely going to throw my hat in! I've counted like four times and I'm still paranoid that I'm over 100 words lol
Good luck to everyone entering as well!

Entry:

Reviewing a golf ball can be hard since it is so player dependent. In all other sports, the ball is uniform. In golf, it is completely up to you, so it’s even more important to know what’s going in your bag. Distance of the tee, feel off irons, greenside spin, feel off a putter. All these things are so important, which is why reviewing a ball can be a tricky task. The ball I’ve chosen checks all those boxes but may not check all of yours. I recommend trying this ball and let’s chat about what boxes it can check!

Last edited:
Thanks to both Callaway and THP for providing the opportunity to be part of such an amazing event, and having access to the Callaway production team is both awesome and scary at the same time!

My entry:

In a crowded industry with a lot of choices available, choosing the right ball for your game can be a daunting task. There are a lot of performance facets to consider, and ideally you find the ball that checks all the boxes for you. The ball I've chosen offers the best combination of tee-to-green feel and performance for my game and has earned its spot in my bag as "the one". Read on for my thoughts about how this ball earned the coveted spot, and see if it checks the boxes for you as well!

(Lead-in to more in-depth review with numbers and deeper dive into the various aspects of performance)

When you walk up to the golf course, ready to tee off, glove on, tee in hand and you reach in to your bag to pull your ball of choice and think to yourself, I don’t have a sharpie with me and I need to distinguish my ball from the rest of my group, the Callaway Truvis has that solved, the soccer ball pattern not only allows you to personalize your ball of choice, but it’s so easy to tell which is your ball compared to others, in the fairway, in the rough and of course on the green.

"I currently play the PROV1 #1 custom logo ball and have played it for the past 2 years or so. I have mainly played Titleist, yet I have never been “fitted” for any particular ball. I find the PROV1 reacts very well to my game, when I am playing well. When I am not playing well, I find that the PROV1 can fly just as far into hazards and OB as good as any ball on the market. Personally, a lower trajectory is my preference for most shots, high greenside spin is a must, and no bias for feel."

What a great opportunity for THP and Callaway to offer 4 lucky people!

Entry:

I play a golf ball that suits me; a no nonsense, high performing ball that costs far less than its results would suggest. The Cut Grey is a mid-compression, three-piece ball, with a urethane cover. As a still learning golfer, I need a ball that can take abuse and not break the bank. Yet, I want to play my best. I need a ball that will stop when I hit a green, have a satisfying feel off the putter, and maximize control and distance off the tee and deck. For me, the Cut Grey shines while checking all the boxes.

34340C7F-DF1B-4477-BEED-FBD040981CD2.jpeg

Last edited:
My Entry:

When I first got serious about golf again, I tried all types of balls,from cheapo's to PROV's. I eventually found that the Callaway line of balls work best for me. I now mainly game Supersofts and Chromesofts. But as a mid to mid high HDCP player the chromesoft shines 100 yards and in. The spin of the ball is the huge difference in how well the stand out over even their own standard line of balls. AND if your playing a Truvis you can actually see how well these spin.

My entry:

The Ball I play must provide:

Best alignment option available
Distinct visual marking so I know which ball is mine from distance
top quality performance in terms of distance and spin
Soft feel that still provides feedback
and be at a solid value for the dollar.

This is why I play the Chrome Soft with Triple Track in yellow. Have tested other options, but this is the best ball for my game.

Entry:
“I’m playing the Ball that is going to change the Ball that you play.”

If you want a ball that is low spin off the tee & goes far.
If you want a ball that spins on green side shots allowing you to get it close to the hole.
If you want a ball that will help you make more putts

I’m playing that ball, why aren’t you?
Awful big brag for the Nitro's your playing! 🤣🤣🤣;)

The below is be to imagined being read by Morgan Freeman-like voice over a slow rotating visual of a Chrome Soft ball at 60% screen fill sitting on a white stage with heavy shadows. A triumphant opus of champions music ( think Sunday at a major ) is played softly behind the spoken words. In the background, collage of images superimposed over the shadows fade in an out of the history of the golf ball and showing the greats hit them in key moments of history as the camera slowly turns around the ball, ending on the Callaway/Chrome Soft logo.

Official entry:

"The simple golf ball. To someone who plays golf, they are all the same. Small, round, hard. To a golfer, it means all the difference in their game. All the investment and research to allow hackers like me to maximize the sport we love would make a 60's NASA engineer quiver. Join me on a journey of discovery and self-awareness as I take the Bridgestone Tour BX which earned a spot in my bag due to its distance, spin, and feel characteristics and challenge it against the Callaway Chrome Soft. Titan vs Titan. Ball vs Ball. Who will win? "

Last edited:
Official entry (with apologies to Angus and company):

I'm notorious throughout hacker society
Golf's gift to golf ball impropriety
They're always in my golf bag
Ball pocket never low
Some white, some yellow, some with greenish glow

I've got golf balls, I've got golf balls
Scuffed golf balls, and dirty golf balls
Cheap golf balls, and waterlogged golf balls
I've got a bagful of all kinds of balls

My golf balls are bouncing
Into sand and into rough
Here come those d@mn shanks again!
If you're listed on the tee sheet
I'll be out there trying
To hit my golf balls straight with no clue where they're flying

This is going to be awesome! Being that I'm a high handicap & hadn't taken golf real serious until last year. I've always been golf ball ***** & would play what ever I had on hand or what was cheap, because I have a bad habit of loosing them. 🤷‍♂️ Since I'm playing tomorrow it will give me chance to play a few different ones to be able to be able to choose one to give my official entry.

Love the entries so far. I'm not going to enter because I was lucky enough to be on the GD team last year, but I'll say this:

If the ball you're playing doesn't have Triple Track on it, there is a very high likelihood that your alignment isn't as good as it could be. Which means that you're almost certainly giving up strokes.

And here we go folks! This is it!!!

My entry....

I’m playing the 2019 Callaway Chrome Soft ball in Yellow since I bought a dozen at the end of last season. Having tested many balls over the years, I’ve found this Chrome Soft fits my game well. While the ball has “Soft” in its name, it is no marshmallow. It has the perfect firmness for my 95 mph driver swing and has that mid trajectory flight that I prefer. A well struck iron sends the CS on its way with plenty of altitude and distance. Its spin around the green boosts my confidence and it putts like a dream.

Jeez. I promise I wrote my short review as best as I could. It’s hard to type with a 1 month old sleeping on your chest! 😅

Entry:

The Titliest ProVx feels like a firm low spin distance ball with your woods and as soft as a Lady Precept with your scoring irons. This combined with consistent trajectory and spin around the greens will fill you with the confidence you want and truly need every time you stand over the ball.

Golf is a game of minimizing mistakes so don't make one before you even tee off by choosing the wrong ball.

My entry:

The Titleist AVX is all about the feel, look, and performance. This ball goes the distance with its larger core formulation, and there is tremendous spin around the greens with the thin urethane cover. If you like a softer feel everywhere on the course, this is the one for you. The 352 tetrahedral catenary dimple design has a fresh look and delivers time after time in windy conditions with its lower piercing nature. All of these benefits along with improved ball speed has lead me to committing to this ball until someone suggests something better for my game.

Official Entry:

How much of your enjoyment of the game is based on score?

When I play my tour-level balls, I'm consistently 4-5 strokes better. The spin, feel, and most importantly, distance control really shines. So why don't I consistently play them? Well, I lose/scuff 3-4 balls per 18 and hate to spend extra on a "meaningless" round.

So, would YOU pay $15/round to save an extra 4 strokes (vs. balls you find in the woods)? Perhaps, but I'd love to perform a "level of joy" vs. ball cost study to help me and others find the perfect ball.

Last edited:
I hit around 50 drives, numbers pop up on a screen. A man writes them down, sees the data in between. He talks about the numbers, and what they really mean. Pulls out a fresh new ball, pearly white and clean. Shot after shot the balls fly like a dream but I ask myself what more important than performance near the green? This is where the ball shines, it really gleams, the result of R&D, hundreds on that team. Perfect off the putter, soothing like a stream, dropping bombs on tee, on green, Surely ProV1X for me.

Exciting contest for an incredible event!

My entry:

The check is in the mail. No, this isn’t a paid review. With premium ball offerings sitting around $4 per ball, that investment should yield some serious return. So when I say the check is in the mail, it’s because another box of TourB RXS is on the way. A ball that checks up as if the dimples grow arms and reach out to hug the grooves in wedges. A feel reminiscent of the first strike of a new wedge with the plastic just removed. Every time. This, without sacrificing distance, is a ball worth the investment.

As many of you know I like trying different balls and ill pull em out at various times since Im fairly new to golf.

Entry:
Today I played a Kirkland 3 Piece ball. I really like the feel of the ball off the tee as well as irons shots. Its also very good for chip shots. It seems to have a nice feel for my swing speed. It tends to have a predictable fight and penetrates the wind well. It is not the longest ball Ive played, actually about a club less than most. However I keep in in play more often than not. Choosing the right club allows me to play this ball and score lower. On the green Im not a big fan of the impact feel, that said it is still predictable and consistent.

It's FINALLY here!!!!!!

So excited, good luck everyone!

About my golf ball: I have my preferences, but this is the one piece of golf equipment that is easiest to procure, test, evaluate and critique and match to what I'm looking for. I've purchased and played so many, all the OEMs and most of the DTCs have been in the bag, having a ball perform how I expect, when I expect it is key to choice. 2, 3 or 4 piece, distance, feel, spin. I know my game limitations and having a ball that enhances the positives and minimizes the negatives is why I try them all.... but have my preferences, stock.

Back