What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

Really liking the amount of greenside spin I can get with this ball. Unless the green is running away from you, you can really go at pins on chips and get the ball to check up.

I tried one today! In the span of one hole I overdrew a drive, knuckled a hybrid, misjudged a sand shot, and missed a putt with the little tripled tracked b*stard, but I will try it again on the off chance a small part of that was my doing. :p

It felt really different off the putter face than anything I'm used to. I honestly should have tapped one at the end of a previous hole with it, because that surprised me in the moment.

I tried one today! In the span of one hole I overdrew a drive, knuckled a hybrid, misjudged a sand shot, and missed a putt with the little tripled tracked b*stard, but I will try it again on the off chance a small part of that was my doing. :p

It felt really different off the putter face than anything I'm used to. I honestly should have tapped one at the end of a previous hole with it, because that surprised me in the moment.
You where probably just a bit over excited, so ya maybe try another one tomorrow.

look at it this way, you didn’t lose the ball!

You where probably just a bit over excited, so ya maybe try another one tomorrow.
Probably right. There were so many colors going on my head was spinning. Like a kid at the circus.

I practically backed up that sand shot though. So that was... something other than bad.

Can anyone who has hit the 2020 CSX compare it to the ProV1? I played the 2019 Triple Track CSX and liked it - just thought it lacked a bit of green side spin compared to Prov1. Also, I did not think the 2019 TT CSX felt clicky like some other "X" variants. Any change there?

Can anyone who has hit the 2020 CSX compare it to the ProV1? I played the 2019 Triple Track CSX and liked it - just thought it lacked a bit of green side spin compared to Prov1. Also, I did not think the 2019 TT CSX felt clicky like some other "X" variants. Any change there?

While this isn’t exactly the Pro V1 comparison you are after, in my testing of the 2020 CS (non X ball), I found the numbers to be extremely close to Pro V1. Between playing Pro V1 and now the 2020 CS, I played the 2019 CSx TT and it played just like the Pro V1.

Here’s what Jason Finley told me in a PM the difference would be between the 2019 CSx TT and the 2020 CSx.

“The CSX 20 has a very similar feel (and compression) to the CSX19TT ball. The CSX20 will have a similar spin profile to that ball but be faster off the Driver primarily.”

And here’s a nice video putting the 2020 CS up against Pro V1, TP5 and Z Star.

Looks like I might have a chance to get out in the morning, so I'm going to give the painted chromies another go.

The knuckled hybrid is still in my head. Weirdest shot I've seen this year.

I really want to try these but it bugs me to think about buying more balls when I’m sitting on a stash. Anyways, great feedback everyone.

Just got a dozen of these in yellow Truvis to try out once I get through my current dozen RX.

I'll have to watch that video comparing it to a prov1. I'm not really seeing that. Honestly doesn't seem different from past versions to me. It's only been a few holes though.

I'm going to try these again next time out, but I'm 2 for 2 on being injured while using them, so it would help if that would stop.

I had a couple weird shots with it today again though. I hit a full 54 on approach, flush, and came up well short. And same thing with the driver. Thought I murdered one, everything looked good on video, and results were a little off what I expected. Just weird because I do try other balls, and have a fair idea how they'll differ usually.

It does spin well around the green.

I played the CS Triple Track today on 9 and the Srixon Q-Star Tour on 9 for a comparison. Calm day so no wind effect for either and temp was pretty consistent for the 3 1/2 hour round. 9 hole course so same tees play both times.
Just some quick thoughts:
Srixon seemed a bit longer for me off the tee, but I think that is due to a bit lower spin. (I may be wrong in that thinking)
Approach shots into the green the CS excels here and has less rollout and I was able to spin a couple back.
Chips around the green go to CS, the feel and the way the ball checked up was much better.
Putter was a spot that didn't surprise me at all. CS feels much better here also. I could control the distance of both balls well, but the CS was better for me off the Chicago.
Playing again tomorrow and may try this again, but tomorrow will be 12-15mph winds all day and would be a good test for these two balls.

I played the new Chrome Soft for my round this morning and came away pretty impressed. To me the feel is much improved, it doesn't feel as soft as the old model off irons and driver. Around the greens though it doesn't feel clicky at all, it's a very solid feel. I really liked how it felt off the putter though, that was huge for me.

Unfortunately my driver was absolutely garbage today so I have no clue how it performs there. Off irons distances were right in line with what I normally expect. I don't know if it was the irons or the ball but I actually backed a couple of balls up although the course was soaked which played a big part in that. I really liked how it performed with the irons and wedges though.

I've been a huge advocate for Triple Track since it came out and there is no change there. I had one of my best putting rounds in ages and TT was a part of that. Short putts just go in more often with it.

I'd love to get on a monitor with the chromesoft X. I've had more of a chance to play them and overall I think they're pretty good. Real similar to a prov1x in performance it seemed, with a different feel. Gets really good spin around the green. It would take some time for me to get used to the sound and feel of them. They're still kind of on their own there for me. It's unique. Especially with the putter. On other good news I can mostly just ignore the TT on the ball. As long as it's not lined up anywhere close to the orientation of the actual shot or putt, it didn't bother me after a while.

I played the CS TT again today. Ball was really good off the tee and giving me good distance. Where this ball excels is around the green on chips, you can throw it at the pin and count on it to stop. Need it to roll out a bit and you can get it to do that also.
I have played the same ball for the last 27 holes with no marks that would make me take it out of play. The durability is much improved on this cover.

Still not managed to get my hands on any of these yet, but they sound like I will like them

Question for those in the know.

I generally like yellow golf balls, however I remember hearing that the Triple Track technology was not only the three lines, and size and color of the lines, but also the color underneath the lines.

First, is that true on the underneath color? If yes, how does this effect the Triple Track yellow golf balls?

Question for those in the know.

I generally like yellow golf balls, however I remember hearing that the Triple Track technology was not only the three lines, and size and color of the lines, but also the color underneath the lines.

First, is that true on the underneath color? If yes, how does this effect the Triple Track yellow golf balls?
Are you basically asking if TT is less effective on yellow vs white? I don’t remember hearing anything like that.

Are you basically asking if TT is less effective on yellow vs white? I don’t remember hearing anything like that.
Yes, I was wondering if there is a difference. Wondering if the technology/alignment aid works better with white as the color ball versus yellow.

Yes, I was wondering if there is a difference. Wondering if the technology/alignment aid works better with white as the color ball versus yellow.
When I have listened to the vernier acuity talk, I don’t remember hearing anything about the surface or application. It applies to things like aircraft carriers and sights for guns too. But I’m not an expert.

I thought they chose it specifically because it does. I could be wrong, because they're not at all for me, but I thought when it started their research showed the exact color combos, length of lines, everything, that they went with was because those were most effective.

I played the CS TT 2020 ball yesterday. I normally play the ProV1x, but @xThor sent me a 2 pack from a contest that he had.

I usually don’t use the aid alignment on a ball. For the round, I was using it inside 10 feet, and not using it for longer putts. I didn’t really make anything of substance, but my lag putting was very good. For me, the feel of the ball outweighed the benefits of the alignment tool.

It performed well tee to green. Certainly a ball I would game.

Another 18 with the Chrome Soft and I’m finding a groove with them. Distance is there off the tee and more importantly they feel really good off the irons and wedges. One of my biggest gripe from the previous version was the lack of spin and that was solved with this version. Plenty of check into the greens when needed.

My plan is to compare these against the new Bridgestone Tour B RX.

Today is the day. CSX is going to be available. I know that some people have seen them out in the wild. Hoping to see them at retail around here soon.

Back