Video Range Days: Breaking Down Mizuno MP 20 Irons

@PKorf Hopefully you watched this.
Really been thinking about this. I know we have seen others do the sets with blending options (Cleveland comes to mind) but has anyone done it as well as Mizuno?

Really been thinking about this. I know we have seen others do the sets with blending options (Cleveland comes to mind) but has anyone done it as well as Mizuno?

the correct answer is no. The close second may be cobra and their king forged flow set. But I still think the mizzys are better.

the correct answer is no. The close second may be cobra and their king forged flow set. But I still think the mizzys are better.
And when you think about it, it’s such an outside the box move for “traditional” Mizuno, and I sort of love it.

I would think others have, but just don’t market it, right?
Cleveland was really the first a while back. But Callaway with Apex and Apex Pro and Apex MB come to mind.
Titleist talked about blending their T Series at our last iron THP Experience.
Srixon Definitely with the 585, 785 and Z Forged.

I think part of it comes down to messaging and how clubs are mostly sold. My thoughts anyway.

Cleveland was really the first a while back. But Callaway with Apex and Apex Pro and Apex MB come to mind.

I think part of it comes down to messaging and how clubs are mostly sold. My thoughts anyway.

Oh man, I forgot about Tour Edge and their Triple Combo...True story, first time they gave me their presentation, all I kept hearing in my head was Triple Lindy from the movie back to school.

This is basically what I was thinking, you explained it better.

This is basically what I was thinking, you explained it better.

I believe @Jman is right though, nobody markets it as well as Mizuno, especially considering the look of the line and how they are sold (Mizuno Fitting Analyzer). Cleveland was definitely first in modern times, when they launched the line that had MT in it.

I believe @Jman is right though, nobody markets it as well as Mizuno, especially considering the look of the line and how they are sold (Mizuno Fitting Analyzer). Cleveland was definitely first in modern times, when they launched the line that had MT in it.
Yeah, the release with the MT are what I was thinking of with Cleveland. They pushed hard at the blending, but the profiles just didn’t do it for some people (even though the MY specifically were awesome).

Others make it an option, but Mizuno is flat out embracing it, and it’s SUCH a smart move in how they are doing it imo, they’ve really streamlined the options, and adding in how the HMB play intentionally unlike any other hollow body out there is just icing on the cake. It’s just so stinking impressive.

Yeah, the release with the MT are what I was thinking of with Cleveland. They pushed hard at the blending, but the profiles just didn’t do it for some people (even though the MY specifically were awesome).

Others make it an option, but Mizuno is flat out embracing it, and it’s SUCH a smart move in how they are doing it imo, they’ve really streamlined the options, and adding in how the HMB play intentionally unlike any other hollow body out there is just icing on the cake. It’s just so stinking impressive.

In talking with mizuno reps, they really push the mantra that irons are individual. Pick the model, loft, and shafts that fill a purpose. Don’t just think set and buy 8 matching clubs.

I think this push is what pushed them into a full line. Woods,hybrids, irons, wedges, balls. Which all are exception this year.

In talking with mizuno reps, they really push the mantra that irons are individual. Pick the model, loft, and shafts that fill a purpose. Don’t just think set and buy 8 matching clubs.

I think this push is what pushed them into a full line. Woods,hybrids, irons, wedges, balls. Which all are exception this year.

That is really interesting. About 7 years ago I was speaking to a person at Cleveland Golf about how I thought the future of irons would be 3 club sets. I didn’t think it would happen in the next 5-10 years, but rather the future 20 or so. My thought was with wedges being so integral and hybrids and Utility type clubs being everywhere and splitting of sets being more common, that it made sense.

Combine that with how fitting is so common now and I think it makes so much sense.

Although you are talking about serious re-education of golfers and based on everything I have read for 12 years, I am not sure how easy that would be.

That is really interesting. About 7 years ago I was speaking to a person at Cleveland Golf about how I thought the future of irons would be 3 club sets. I didn’t think it would happen in the next 5-10 years, but rather the future 20 or so. My thought was with wedges being so integral and hybrids and Utility type clubs being everywhere and splitting of sets being more common, that it made sense.

Combine that with how fitting is so common now and I think it makes so much sense.

Although you are talking about serious re-education of golfers and based on everything I have read for 12 years, I am not sure how easy that would be.

so true. We have been conditioned to think “set” of irons. I try to break that mantra with ever fitting. Think of them individually. If 3-pw of blades makes sense for your game. Cool run with it.

I honestly like that the standard set is typically 7 clubs these days. In some cases 6.

If not let’s look at these clubs more ala carte like we do wedges, woods, and utility clubs.

MP-20 are so hauntingly nice... I still would love a set of these. Dang... :love:

@PKorf Hopefully you watched this.
finallllly got around to watching this one. Nice deep dive on how and why these irons blend so well. i watched something similar albeit a bit shorter from @Vosh68 on mizuno's website on blend-ability and the lack of perceived gaps. interesting stuff. These irons were coming my way about a month and a half ago after some extensive research and fittings.

Cobras pro - combos were pretty solid....but dont really hold a candle to how well these blend top to bottom

And when you think about it, it’s such an outside the box move for “traditional” Mizuno, and I sort of love it.
in a weird way its an outside the box approach, while still maintaining their inside the box classic looks

Got my HMB back yesterday from being loaned out just long enough to sell them to one of my HS kids and I forgot how gorgeous they truly are. Yeah we talked about that in the Range Days show, but in hand in the moment man they’re amazing. More than that though, I also forgot how MP the soles on the HMB are, these aren’t beefy, instead they just slow perfectly with that MP expectation.

Decided to take my MMC 's (4-PW) to the course today. Been playing well lately and wanted to see if I'd notice much difference between my combo set of Callaway irons and the MMC's which are thinner, smaller, and more demanding. After the first 3 holes I was in love again :love:. Mizuno made a great set of irons with the MMC's and I thoroughly enjoyed my round with them in the bag today. Proved to me that the difference maker is always me and not the clubs in my hand. The clubs only do what the golfer makes them do.

watched this again yesterday after my buddy was asking about the HMB. He ended up buying a set and is in love.
Hit the 3 iron on the range with him. Good lord that thing is sweet. Love how the shape progresses a bit with the set.

Also, I hit the MB demo again. Ugh. It's so freaking good.

bumping for @Cinco!

Take a long look at the HMBs as well - their spin numbers are excellent especially when you're trying to close in on other irons in their lineup.

Same shaft as the others we have discussed.

bumping for @Cinco!

Take a long look at the HMBs as well - their spin numbers are excellent especially when you're trying to close in on other irons in their lineup.

Same shaft as the others we have discussed.
How many fittings can I do in a year before I can be clinically diagnosed with a disease?

How many fittings can I do in a year before I can be clinically diagnosed with a disease?

I think the correct number is 29. :ROFLMAO:

All you need is one, with our boys from Club Champion!!
I just did one at Club Champion in January. And I'm pretty dialed in with the Forged TECs I got fit into. Always looking to buy myself a better game I guess.

Man, the hollow body options are so good right now.

I just did one at Club Champion in January. And I'm pretty dialed in with the Forged TECs I got fit into. Always looking to buy myself a better game I guess.

Man, the hollow body options are so good right now.
The ever evolving industry says "HI!" hahahaha

I love it. You definitely have a great product in your bag.

I think this is a set you'd almost HAVE to combo if rocking MBs in the short irons.

Question is, where does it progress, how many heads are involved, and does it end with an HMB or a Hot Metal Pro?
How would you feel about a combo this direction?
hmb 6 28*
hmb 7 32*
mp 8 38*
mp 9 42*
mp pw 46*

I don't like the gap between the 7 & 8 though.

Back