What holes are toughest for you?

Flipit

Aka- ApexFan
Reaction score
Handicap
Meaning Par 3, Par 4, or Par 5?
For me its definitely the Par 4. Looking at some recent score cards its the Par 4's where I dont score as well. I did get a birdie last week on a chip in but thats a real rarity. Just seems like these are less forgiving to a miss and being able to make it up. Perhaps I need more practice with those 140-180 yard approach shots.

According to my stats from hole-by-hole rounds over the past 3 years its a tie between Par 3’s and Par 4’s where I average +0.6.

According to my stats, par 3's. Lots of reasons for that. Can't play myself into ideal approach position, courses tend to set them up as pretty difficult, a couple I play are way longer than any reasonable approach into a par 4 or 5, I'm more aggressive/try to be more perfect than I should be considering those other things, etc.

I dig that you're analyzing your cards to see what your strengths/weaknesses are. Knowing definitely helps change strategies for the better.

Last edited:
Definitely par 4's for me. A bad drive can lead to an unreachable hole and if the drive is really bad and all I have is just a recovery shot getting the ball back into play (or a penalty) it makes par pretty much unattainable.

Par 3's are not a problem as long as length and conditions are such that I can hit an iron into them, so anything that plays more than about 170-175 can be a little difficult.

Par 5's I am actually well under par overall. even with a bad drive I've got two more shots at making up for it and still getting home in regulation.

In my opinion the holes with narrow slightly turning fairways as you have to hit solid to your target or you are in trouble. I don't mind Par 3s much at all, it is par 4 and 5 that turn and narrow although depending on the hole a par 4 can be tight.

I do ok, but would like to do better on those so that my second shots are much better. One more I don't like are those Par 4s with hills heading down to the water where you have to shoot downhill and yet still try to get the ball high as possible to get on the green up on the next hill.

Par 5s with forced carries. Hard to hit 3 good strokes in a row. Par 3s are easy, mentally, just one straight shot.

For me it's the par 4s, especially the longer ones. Par 4s are where most of my bogies show up on my score card

It's the same with most of our group. The standing joke is; "they just don't allow us enough strokes for these holes".

Long par 3s for me. I think it's psychological. from 170 in on a par 4 I can regularly hit the green at a puttable distance. On a 160-170 par 3 I often miss the green entirely. Not sure why.
I was do exactly that for about a month. Now I’m back to hitting the greens on Par 3 and my Par 4 approach is coming up short.

Long par 4’s when I think I have to get an extra 20 yards out of my drive and I swing too hard. Usually leads to trouble.

Par 4 Doglegs left. I hit the ball left to right, so that doesn’t help on these holes.

My immediate reaction was long par 4s. According to my stats it is par 5s. But I think that's a bit of a funky anomaly in that I battled an unusual stretch of horrible tee game for a while.

I track this and relative to par I've always scored worst on par 4s. Par 3s were always my best every year up until recently. I was always a very short hitter but added @20% to my driver swing speed after joining THP and realizing just how slow I was. Since then my par 4 and 5 scores to par are both down significantly and par 3s stayed about the same. Par 4s are still my worst but par 5s have been a little better than par 3s in some recent seasons.

Statistically, it's the par 5's for me. It makes sense because there are more opportunities for a mishit on a full swing. I believe statistically it's the opposite for better players because they have the game and more opportunities to make up for one poor shot.

Par 3s. I should just play to the middle of the greens, but I don't.
I think thats one thing that gets me. My course the Par 3 greens are huge. However it can be a really tough putt getting from one side to the other due to slope and being on different levels.

For the rounds taken into my handicap it’s the par 4’s. I think it’s the 4’s statistically because I play more of them and therefore I have a greater chance of blowing up on those holes.
AA5381CF-D43F-454A-AE22-82D7EEDB45AC.jpeg

My first thought was par 4s, especially long par 4s, and my statistics bear that out - 5.17 average on par 4s.

Par 3's are my problem, simple shot that tend that I tend to pull darn near everytime. The same yardage off the fairway no problem but put me on a par 3 tee and it is hook city unless I aim way right to play the hook then I hit it straight..stupid game.

For the rounds taken into my handicap it’s the par 4’s. I think it’s the 4’s statistically because I play more of them and therefore I have a greater chance of blowing up on those holes.
View attachment 8943745

It's your highest over par and closest to their 'target', obviously, but does it have a strong distance bias within it? I'm only curious because your par 3 number is pretty darn good. What does the graph right below that tell you? A tee issue, OB? Is that what you mean by blowup?

Par 3 holes have always been the most difficult. Especially, the longer par 3s. Anything over 165 can be a bane on my scorecard.

It's your highest over par and closest to their 'target', obviously, but does it have a strong distance bias within it? I'm only curious because your par 3 number is pretty darn good. What does the graph right below that tell you? A tee issue, OB? Is that what you mean by blowup?
Yup, just more opportunity to put a ball OB or something spectacularly bad like that. The chart below shows distance bias on the par 5’s, but surprisingly not so much on par 4’s. And I was surprised by the par 3 number, but I did go +1 on the four par 3’s yesterday. Looks like I need to work on the big stick.
AE173303-2EB4-4D8A-AE7B-E1568593DBAB.jpeg

Yup, just more opportunity to put a ball OB or something spectacularly bad like that. The chart below shows distance bias on the par 5’s, but surprisingly not so much on par 4’s. And I was surprised by the par 3 number, but I did go +1 on the four par 3’s yesterday. Looks like I need to work on the big stick.
View attachment 8943777
Yep. It does seem to scream that. Or a change in approach maybe. Interesting.

Thanks for sharing. I'm always fascinated by this part of things.

Give me a par 3 with OB or water nearby and I will find it... Worst mental image there is...

Back