Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This past year, the KZG brand was introduced to THP via a few different reviews. Along with learning about the equipment, we also learned about the company’s emphatic focus on fitting dictating access, rather than simply flooding the market with product.

Having worked directly with three different clubs in the KZG umbrella for homepage reviews, I found myself not only wanting to know more about the company, but for THP readers to know more as well. As is always the case, the best way to do that is to go to the source. We sat down to ask KZG six questions which put the ball in their court, and what we got back were some of the most detailed responses ever. While at first glance, it seemed like almost too much information, the responses tell the story so well that it just wouldn’t make sense to cut them down.

Instead, the incredible depth has been left intact, and hopefully the time will be taken to really dive in and digest all that KZG has offered up...

Continue reading...

I’ve played with a few players gaming KZG, so had a tiny bit of exposure to the brand. This interview ups my knowledge of theirs exponentially. I, for one, really respect their business model and philosophy.

Thx James

• Staff
I know some simply move on by when they see the KZG name on an article or thread, that’s why we wanted to do something to let people get to know the brand more and understand what they’re all about.

I thought we would get some good answers to my questions, I never knew we would get this depth, detail, and straight up honesty.

Its not a short read, but imo it’s a must read.

Did not know anything about KZG and that was super in depth. I like how they stressed their focus on integrity. I have never heard a golf company really put that at the forefront. Thanks for the write up @Jman.

I'm still in the camp that it's 90% carpenter, 10% hammer. For the vast majority of weekend golfers, getting a "perfect" fitting will yield minimal results to their handicap. As long as flex and model is commensurate with the handicap level which most fitters can accomplish even if not the best of the best, the golfer will see a bigger impact in their game if they spend the money on lessons and practice the short game. But every company including KZG needs to have a widget to sell, so why not hang your hat on a perfect fitting. I'd argue "perfect" is only needed as handicap approaches scratch and better. As handicap increases, the quality of the fitter is less important. I didn't say unimportant because everyone benefits clubs that fit right, just that "perfect" isn't a benefit to most.

@Jman This is pretty cool. I like their approach to the golf world. While it isn't in lock step with the materialistic philosophy of much of the American culture that doesn't mean they can't fill a great niche of folks. I personally don't buy the marketing that club technology improves dramatically year after year, especially with the conformance rules, maybe every 5 years or so.

Do you think their model would benefit from a PGA decision to roll back the clubs/ball? Seems like if the major OEM can't market "longer" each year the next marketing step would be "custom fit perfectly for you".

Also, forgive the ignorance, do we already have a KZG experience for custom fitting? Could be a cool event for them to live stream what they do best, and I've got a feeling that watching a live fitting would absolutely catch on fire on this forum. 🔥🔥

I think it's another great article. I know from previous reviews that KZG is a bit different in how they do things and balked at that... (like their insistence on fitting). This article gives an insight into the method behind their madness and makes it understable why they insist on it. Kind of an "oh, that's why" moment. Thanks! And their focus on integrity is pretty cool too.:D

We do not.
I'd expect no less.... I mean there are only +110K threads, +6.6M posts, and seemingly dozens of events/experiences. Why can't we all be up to speed on all of them.

I'd expect no less.... I mean there are only +110K threads, +6.6M posts, and seemingly dozens of events/experiences. Why can't we all be up to speed on all of them.

Hahah. This is very true. Lots of fun still coming and ya never know what the future holds.

Well they think very highly of themselves don’t they? Haha.

Interesting read for sure. I’ll be honest I never heard of them before they appeared on THP and I really don’t like the looks of their equipment that much. Also to be fair I’ve never hit it so maybe its as good as they think it is.

Is it safe to say they move more irons and wedges than drivers and fairways?

Well they think very highly of themselves don’t they? Haha.

Interesting read for sure. I’ll be honest I never heard of them before they appeared on THP and I really don’t like the looks of their equipment that much. Also to be fair I’ve never hit it so maybe its as good as they think it is.

As I was reading this, I kind of thought the same thing, but when it comes across through the feature, it is more confidence than arrogance in my mind. At least that is what I got out of it.

As I was reading this, I kind of thought the same thing, but when it comes across through the feature, it is more confidence than arrogance in my mind. At least that is what I got out of it.
I was thinking that after I typed it, I guess if a company doesn’t have confidence in their product then it would be hard to sell. Still though having requirements in order to sell their product to me still comes across a little arrogant to me

I checked out their website and for the entire NY,NJ, CT tri-state area they have one fitter in upstate New York. Gotta do a better job than that if your ethos is hands on custom fitting.

This is exactly how I took it, at first glance I see how some get arrogance, but this is just a company that believes in their philosophy and won’t bend on it, I respect that.

Dang! Go ahead and put me in the camp of people who think that KZG came off poorly in this.

Not a fan of KZG. Hard pass on them. Clubs might be good, but based on my interactions with them something is not right in their company culture. YMMV. Not my kind of golf company.

This is exactly how I took it, at first glance I see how some get arrogance, but this is just a company that believes in their philosophy and won’t bend on it, I respect that.

they have their model/beliefs and they are sticking to it. It's actually kind of refreshing to see that because we have seen many in this and other industries go a different route every few years.

I’m surprised at those taking this as negative. Especially since we often scream about marketing and wishing companies would stick to their philosophy....can’t help but feel if this was a bigger name some takes would be different.

Starting 27 years ago I got into building golf clubs. Merely a hobby to put stuff together for my kids and some friends. But I was always looking far and wide for options. KZG was an option for what I perceived as knock offs. I never engaged with them. There were so many better options.....Fast forward to today. They are recreated and fully custom. OK, Great. A review of their product line and actually they have some nice stuff...OK, So let's engage and getmesome….The nearest fitter to me is in Charlotte a full 6 hours away. In a world of substantial offerings via direct on line and many fitters near by....Where does KZG fit? Very nice write up. THP and James you do a great job bringing product and info to the forefront.

I was thinking that after I typed it, I guess if a company doesn’t have confidence in their product then it would be hard to sell. Still though having requirements in order to sell their product to me still comes across a little arrogant to me
They seem to realize their niche and are confident there.

Clearly haha
They're not closed minded though... they gave prices in the review threads when THP wanted to know and they were reluctant to say...

Back