I really like the idea. Actually looked for a fitter and there is one only a couple hours away. They sound like a great company.

I never felt like KZG was a knock off company even 20 years ago. I have had some exposure to some of their stuff over time and generally found their stuff to be of good quality. I appreciate their loyalty to professional clubmakers even though it may cost them some business. Given there is little to no resale value to their equipment I would have a hard time paying close to OEM prices for their stuff even with the full fit.

Great read, interesting business model and agree they come across as a little closed minded in that regard. If they insist on sticking with the fitting model in order to get their gear in players hands they should be trying to get their product lines into places like club champion. I’m sure they make a quality iron and enjoyed @Jman’s review. I would definitely give them a go, I like using clubs that a lot of my buddies have never heard of

after the putter article, I got in touch with a fitter about an hour away...I just need to find a time to visit. I don't see moving away from my 565s but a putter is not out of the question.

To quote part of their response: "It amazes us that golf associations are in a quandary about how to grow the game…does it ever occur to anyone that getting golfers into the right clubs would be a great start? Many golfers get frustrated with the game, they can’t improve and finally they just give up. Many beginners barely get started before they give up. "

couple things...

no, I don't think properly fit equipment has one iota to do with that....at all. Maybe having access to decent equipment, but I just got my first fitting last November. My first fitting. I've been on THP since 2014 and have been serious about golf for a year or two longer. Fitting never crossed my mind nor anyone else I know who enjoys the game even casually. Never once took away from me enjoying golf.

Also - their responses basically slam every professional fitter that doesn't peddle their equipment, seemingly backhandedly saying they didn't meet their expectations. Thus, they find them inferior and incompetent. Whether that is their actual stance or not, that's how it comes off.

Good on them for taking a stance and sticking to it. But not putting your equipment into anyones hands at all, unless they have been fit and guided into your equipment would take their brand completely off the table for me. Even if a fitter said they would fit, I would never go with a brand I couldn't at least try somewhat in person first.

Good luck to them, but that's a rough stance to take.

To quote part of their response: "It amazes us that golf associations are in a quandary about how to grow the game…does it ever occur to anyone that getting golfers into the right clubs would be a great start? Many golfers get frustrated with the game, they can’t improve and finally they just give up. Many beginners barely get started before they give up. "

couple things...

no, I don't think properly fit equipment has one iota to do with that....at all. Maybe having access to decent equipment, but I just got my first fitting last November. My first fitting. I've been on THP since 2014 and have been serious about golf for a year or two longer. Fitting never crossed my mind nor anyone else I know who enjoys the game even casually. Never once took away from me enjoying golf.

Also - their responses basically slam every professional fitter that doesn't peddle their equipment, seemingly backhandedly saying they didn't meet their expectations. Thus, they find them inferior and incompetent. Whether that is their actual stance or not, that's how it comes off.

Good on them for taking a stance and sticking to it. But not putting your equipment into anyones hands at all, unless they have been fit and guided into your equipment would take their brand completely off the table for me. Even if a fitter said they would fit, I would never go with a brand I couldn't at least try somewhat in person first.

I was thinking that as I read the article...

couple things...

I see that side of it.
What would you say about shafts that are only available through fitters? Does that come off as ego driven or wrong, or is it okay?

Just tell them to re-release a version of the ZO blades and the Gemini dual face driver. haha.

Nice write up. I wasn't aware of them until I joined THP & now to find out they've been in business that long has something to say about the way they do business. I've never hit them or even seen them in person.

I still come back to the fact that it seems like the dealers are the target market, not the golfer. That isn't a winning philosophy for me.

Hadn't even heard of this brand before Orlando.

They had some great stuff in the early 2000s. I think the founder died and his daughter took over.

I see that side of it.
What would you say about shafts that are only available through fitters? Does that come off as ego driven or wrong, or is it okay?
They are about as on my radar to ever buy as KZG ha.

But...that's basically the entire exotic shaft industry, is it not? It's not like most exotic shafts are available to test at Golf Galaxy, while only one company isn't. It's all of them, and it's a niche market for people seeking them out.

They are about as on my radar to ever buy as KZG ha.

But...that's basically the entire exotic shaft industry, is it not? It's not like most exotic shafts are available to test at Golf Galaxy, while only one company isn't. It's all of them, and it's a niche market for people seeking them out.

Right, that was kind of my thought.
Basically all of the higher end custom fit clubs are the same. See Miura, etc.

Ohhh I see where you are going with it. I got you now.

But even with Miura, aren't there some higher end stores or stores in either higher income or higher traffic that sometimes can have miura displays? Or am I making that up. I'm not sure, I don't think the Cleveland area counts haha.

Ohhh I see where you are going with it. I got you now.

But even with Miura, aren't there some higher end stores or stores in either higher income or higher traffic that sometimes can have miura displays? Or am I making that up. I'm not sure, I don't think the Cleveland area counts haha.

Hahah. I am not sure. I know that there are a number of companies that have gone to the fitting exclusive model, including Bridgestone Golf.

You are not saying KZG and Muira are comparable are you? Other than saying they are both relatively fitter only right?

You are not saying KZG and Muira are comparable are you? Other than saying they are both relatively fitter only right?

Depends who you ask. I would argue since acquisition that KZG and their fitters are on par with them, yes.

Don't have the time to read this now but I will get to it. I have been impressed with the previous reviews of KZG.

Hahah. I am not sure. I know that there are a number of companies that have gone to the fitting exclusive model, including Bridgestone Golf.
I'm not sure if Bridgestone golf is the best company to follow for clubs ideas right now. But even so, you can still buy clubs directly on their site if you want to. even that is a big difference IMO.

I'm not sure if Bridgestone golf is the best company to follow for clubs ideas right now. But even so, you can still buy clubs directly on their site if you want to. even that is a big difference IMO.

I think that is the differentiator. And it is one every company has to battle.
On one hand sell direct, which would be hard with no standard shaft, grip, etc all while not pleasing fitters that buy your product.
On the other hand, margins are better and some consumers might be happier with that.

My take is that they are all in on full premium fitting. But I think they should at least give standardized prices such as "these irons from". I also don't think it would be major harm in selling heads only direct. It would be a great differentiator, because the only people buying them would be those that know club making.

I applaud the idea of standing firm on fitting. But it is harder to say get fit and then let's say you improve a ton or decide you want something else, but love your set. You can't reorder with those specs you were fit for.

I’m going to put up a list of innovations and things they’ve done in golf that I had to omit from the interview and I think it’ll surprise some folks.

Interesting Article. I'm surprised by how much negative contention there is regarding their responses?
I love that this company sticks to making sure their clubs are sold only when fitted. I'm so tired of going to OEM sites where there's numerous people commenting about a clubs negative performance, when they ordered the club(s) without ever even hitting them, let alone being fitted! Atleast I won't have to worry about that with this company.
Excellent article!
(I must apologize. I accidentally hit 1 instead of 5 at the end of the article. It won't allow me to correct. Sorry.)

Very interesting read! I’d never heard of KZG before this review (I’m still playing my 10+ year old clubs, so maybe I don’t get out much). Based on their responses it doesn’t seem like a brand I’m likely to cross paths with in the near future.

I still have a KZG 5-wood in my bag that was made for me 19 years ago. I was virtually in tears when I cracked the face of my KZG PFT 300 driver - awesome club.
Several years ago I won a draw for $1,000 which funded a set of KZG wedges assembled by my club fitter. I have them in the bag on occassions, even though they replace wedges from the Titleist tour van servicing the US PGA tour (a mate plays on the tour).
My experiences with KZG has been a happy one. I once had three hole-in-ones in the space of two years during inter-club competition. KZG sent me a hole-in-one cap - no idea how they found out.

Back