Blade vs CB Video...Interesting Results

I’m also not surprised that the video isn’t called “blades, could some people get away with playing them?”

I have always played and score 3-4 strokes lower with blades vs GI irons, consistency, shot dispersion is way better with Forged Blades or Forged CBs at least vs big shovels. Love my Mizuno Blades.

I have always played and score 3-4 strokes lower with blades vs GI irons, consistency, shot dispersion is way better with Forged Blades or Forged CBs at least vs big shovels. Love my Mizuno Blades.

The irony here is ask Mark Crossfield what clubs he plays right now :D

without reliable club and ball data as well as 3d mapping of your swing with each, how do you know it's the blades that are performing better for you? how do you know you're not just swinging differently?

without reliable club and ball data as well as 3d mapping of your swing with each, how do you know it's the blades that are performing better for you? how do you know you're not just swinging differently?
I would absolutely support the premise that there is a certain skill level where diminishing returns are experienced. The story always has been and always should be to play the most forgiving irons you can that actually help your game.

I am a bit curious on his motivation to use Callaway's Mav Max. Isn't he a Cleveland/Srixon guy?

He is and raves about the Cleveland Launcher Turbo hybrid irons.

I didn't know Mr Crossfield could be a bit polarizing. I came across the video by accident and don't know much about the guy.

You all make some excellent points. IMHO, if you have a good swing you can probably hit anything. I would have liked to see him do it with a mid-HI, whose swing is less consistent than his...and hit off grass. Mats can be a bit...forgiving, lol.

That all said, it was an interesting test. I always thought forgiveness was a bit overrated. You can have the most forgiving clubs on the planet, but they still require that the golfer put a good swing on the ball to get good results.

I've shot my best scores using blades. I can't explain it, but it is true.
I'm the same. I was a better player in my former golfing career, but I didn't really become a good ball striker until I moved into a set of the original Taylormade TP combo irons that were blades through the 7i. That is when I dropped about 5 strokes off my HC in a year. Don't know why :unsure:

I didn't know Mr Crossfield could be a bit polarizing. I came across the video by accident and don't know much about the guy.

You all make some excellent points. IMHO, if you have a good swing you can probably hit anything. I would have liked to see him do it with a mid-HI, whose swing is less consistent than his...and hit off grass. Mats can be a bit...forgiving, lol.

That all said, it was an interesting test. I always thought forgiveness was a bit overrated. You can have the most forgiving clubs on the planet, but they still require that the golfer put a good swing on the ball to get good results.
Yep. I’ve played everything from super cavity back irons to a more bladed Titleist Cb iron. Bad swing equaled bad misses on every iron I’ve hit. For me though I just feel more confident with slightly bigger club face over a super bladed iron

I would absolutely support the premise that there is a certain skill level where diminishing returns are experienced. The story always has been and always should be to play the most forgiving irons you can that actually help your game.

there is no empirical, objective, in-a-vacuum explanation that could ever support a blade being a better fit than a more forgiving club. ever. the problem is, we are insane golfers. and because you can never eliminate the insanity from the golfer, objectivity will not reign supreme. instead, you substitute objectivity for preference. and preference, imho, is huge. I should be playing a more forgiving iron than I am. my stats paint a disturbingly clear picture that if I want to post the scores I want to post, I need to hit lots and lots of greens. and yet, here I am, with the pro-iest of the pro version of the mav lineup in my bag. not because I should, but because I want to.

there is no empirical, objective, in-a-vacuum explanation that could ever support a blade being a better fit than a more forgiving club. ever. the problem is, we are insane golfers. and because you can never eliminate the insanity from the golfer, objectivity will not reign supreme. instead, you substitute objectivity for preference. and preference, imho, is huge. I should be playing a more forgiving iron than I am. my stats paint a disturbingly clear picture that if I want to post the scores I want to post, I need to hit lots and lots of greens. and yet, here I am, with the pro-iest of the pro version of the mav lineup in my bag. not because I should, but because I want to.
person to person, club to club, it comes down to preference and sanity haha

I've got a buddy who can't even look at a players CB. Has to play a blade. Currently an 8 or 9 handicap. He's nuts.

person to person, club to club, it comes down to preference and sanity haha

I've got a buddy who can't even look at a players CB. Has to play a blade. Currently an 8 or 9 handicap. He's nuts.

Maybe he is nuts, but he is happy too. :)

Crossfield has always been prone to double speak IMO. I don't really watch his stuff anymore because of it.
I mostly preferred Dan's takes on clubs over his anyway.

I'm curious, because I think those are pretty forgiving, what you think you should be playing? Where would tech meet scoring potential for you?

I got the Forged Tecs because they looked unique, and fun. I still can't stand to look down at them, but I can't really complain about it anymore when they play (score) just as well as my much more handsome favorites. The tech and size doesn't hold me back as far as I can tell. I don't know how much it helps though, either.

He's very good at getting his answer before the test.

I would hope someone with 300,000 subscribers on YouTube would realize that hitting off a mat is one of the most difficulty neutralizing conditions you can possibly create for two iron variants.... and would explain that in depth during the video comparing the two...

..I'm six minutes in, did it happen? Spoiler?

I am such a good ball striker off of those mats in a practice facility, probably scratch. Outside? Not so much...

I'm curious, because I think those are pretty forgiving, what you think you should be playing? Where would tech meet scoring potential for you?

I got the Forged Tecs because they looked unique, and fun. I still can't stand to look down at them, but I can't really complain about it anymore when they play (score) just as well as my much more handsome favorites. The tech and size doesn't hold me back as far as I can tell. I don't know how much it helps though, either.

I have a hard time seeing how a plus index with very good speed (you), would see much of a scoring difference with any iron profile, as long as it was set up for you properly.

I have a hard time seeing how a plus index with very good speed (you), would see much of a scoring difference with any iron profile, as long as it was set up for you properly.
I think that probably goes to the 'we're all crazy' argument, and that people do actually swing differently based on what they're looking at and how they feel about it.

I am such a good ball striker off of those mats in a practice facility, probably scratch. Outside? Not so much...
Curious. Should golfers get fitted off mats?

I struggle with this because his results are his results. It’s on video, it is objectively measured. On the other hand I have a hard time fully believing it. The thing that occurs to me is that a good ball striker like Crossfield delivers the clubhead to the ball well, even if it isn’t perfectly centered on the clubface. So his “miss” is one dimensional. Most of us higher caps don’t deliver the clubhead to the ball consistently, much less well. The other thing is turf interaction and the thin sole. I’ve never played true blades but I’ve played two sets of irons that were closer to that profile in certain respects and both those two irons were clearly more challenging for me to play.

He is and raves about the Cleveland Launcher Turbo hybrid irons.

I haven’t looked and I stopped watching his stuff quite a while ago, but to be fair, isn’t he playing a more compact profile in pw up to 5 or 6 iron?
Curious. Should golfers get fitted off mats?

It is not ideal, but certainly better than no fitting at all. We don’t have many opportunities for outdoor fittings around here. I don’t think it is as big of a deal with drivers, since they don’t strike the ground. Turf interaction, particularly off of less than perfect lies, can make a big difference in how we strike the ball.

Back