PODCAST Off Course Episode 6: Walking vs Riding

Carts are faster if it's just you and you're doing zero waiting. If you have to wait, that gives the walker time to catch up to the cart and now it's just a moot point.

Carts are faster if it's just you and you're doing zero waiting. If you have to wait, that gives the walker time to catch up to the cart and now it's just a moot point.

It's effectively racing to get to a red light.

It's effectively racing to get to a red light.

Unless you're first out or it's a dead course that day. I have no issue with walking, I actually love it. I'm a little sour my area doesn't have more walkable courses, nor do they really mention anything about a walking rate.

Unless you're first out or it's a dead course that day. I have no issue with walking, I actually love it. I'm a little sour my area doesn't have more walkable courses, nor do they really mention anything about a walking rate.
Yeah, this discussion is definitely region specific. There are some courses (even around here) I wouldn't think for a second to walk, even though I love to walk.

Not with proper policing...

I'm thinking the red light is your slower playing partners (walkers, Sunday baggers :D), but I get what you're saying.

Love the pace with solo carts! But I’ve gotten stuck behind a foursome in four carts that was easily playing >4:20 pace. You can take one slow golfer out of the cart, but you can’t take the slow out of the golfer.

I just got through the Sunday bag part before I got to work. I totally agree on the Sunday bag, what's the point? Sunday bags are the smart car of the golf world. Sure it works, but with it's limitations why?

On Pace of play I completely agree that singles in power carts area the fastest. When you guys talk about better players typically being quicker that's 50/50 to me. I play with a couple of + handicaps that can drag us down with their pre shot routines and time spent reading greens, etc. I suppose they make up for it though by taking less shots but they can certainly hold up the group and others behind us.

I'm thinking the red light is your slower playing partners (walkers, Sunday baggers :D), but I get what you're saying.

If its your slowing playing partners, that would mean walking wouldn't increase that pace, unless of course they are riding while you are walking.
And at least you would have the shade : )

Going to try to fit this one in this afternoon.. Can't wait to listen!

Another Daly or Tiger is tough. I think Rob is right in that it would be tough for someone with Daly’s traits and talent to get into a similar position with all the coaches, agents, and camps, but I think tennis is a good example that this can still happen with wild young players like Kyrgios, Zverev, and some of the other young guys. I’m looking forward to the next golf version!

I don’t think we ever see the extended dominance that Tiger showed because of Tiger. He has the mentality that you need to constantly improve and as a result now we’ve got guys who ascend to #1 and are still working to get stronger and make swing changes. That’s why I think we see another Daly before Tiger.

On Pace of play I completely agree that singles in power carts area the fastest. When you guys talk about better players typically being quicker that's 50/50 to me. I play with a couple of + handicaps that can drag us down with their pre shot routines and time spent reading greens, etc. I suppose they make up for it though by taking less shots but they can certainly hold up the group and others behind us.
Yeah, @HipCheck took me by surprise on that one.

There's nothing worse than the guy you know is capable of solid golf but is flat out not an option to play with because every shot is like his last chance to make the tour.

Sunday bag is a “lifestyle choice” only “presentation” only, I see no use for one what so ever. To me it’s like a man bag.

Sunday bag is a “lifestyle choice” only “presentation” only, I see no use for one what so ever. To me it’s like a man bag.

YES!
The Sunday Bag is the Murse of golf bags.

Good listen today. I agree wholeheartedly about the Sunday bag. Though I have been stuffing 14 in mine as I've tried to use it. It's officially out of commission as of yesterday.

C’mon man. You know that doesn’t make sense.
Wait, what doesn't make sense?

Golfing with 5 clubs, or thinking you couldn't play better with all 14?

Wait, what doesn't make sense?

Golfing with 5 clubs, or thinking you couldn't play better with all 14?
makes sense, one guy played with a putter only.....................................

makes sense, one guy played with a putter only.....................................

I wonder if the higher the handicap, the less clubs you actually need. Or better yet, can actually use.

I wonder if the higher the handicap, the less clubs you actually need. Or better yet, can actually use.

This. Just because I shoot X with 5 clubs, does not mean I could shoot X-1 or lower with 6 clubs. Maybe I've come to hit those 5 reliably enough and introducing more decisions into the process would just muddy the waters.

This. Just because I shoot X with 5 clubs, does not mean I could shoot X-1 or lower with 6 clubs. Maybe I've come to hit those 5 reliably enough and introducing more decisions into the process would just muddy the waters.
You just described one length... which means you can play all 14 again.

Back