PODCAST Off Course Episode 6: Walking vs Riding

You just described one length... which means you can play all 14 again.

Not necessarily. I've tried one length. It's not as simple as just "here's 7 clubs, they're all the same length, have fun". Great concept, if it works for the individual.

Not necessarily. I've tried one length. It's not as simple as just "here's 7 clubs, they're all the same length, have fun". Great concept, if it works for the individual.
your opinion.

Also, by all means, play with 5 clubs, build a handicap off it, and call it golf - But don't enter tournaments or events with said handicap and bring the other 9 clubs when you play in them.

your opinion.

Also, by all means, play with 5 clubs, build a handicap off it, and call it golf - But don't enter tournaments or events with said handicap and bring the other 9 clubs when you play in them.

Obviously, it's my opinion. That's why I posted it.

There's a fair chance that I might actually play better with less than 14 clubs. Are you saying you disagree with that?

Obviously, it's my opinion. That's why I posted it.

There's a fair chance that I might actually play better with less than 14 clubs. Are you saying you disagree with that?
I'm indifferent, despite totally not buying it. Lots of thoughts on the podcast if you feel like listening.

What I am saying, is that handicaps are designed as the great neutralizer... And people who take 8-9 out for some of their rounds they build a handicap off, then switch to a full bag for a competitive round, are not adequately representing their capacity for scoring in their handicap.

Wait, what doesn't make sense?

Golfing with 5 clubs, or thinking you couldn't play better with all 14?

Played pretty well today. Shot 78. I didn't hit all my clubs.

I think it's a matter of course management and being reactive as opposed to proactive.

If we really want to get philosophical, what's the magic behind 14 clubs?

If nothing else it's a maximum constraint that, for the most part, is arbitrary.

Played pretty well today. Shot 78. I didn't hit all my clubs.

I think it's a matter of course management and being reactive as opposed to proactive.
the difference between 'didn't use all my clubs' and 'didn't have all my clubs' could make all the difference in the world depending on what conditions come up during your round.

If we really want to get philosophical, what's the magic behind 14 clubs?

If nothing else it's a maximum constraint that, for the most part, is arbitrary.
this isn't about 'why 14' it's about establishing a handicap.

If one of my buddies who doesn't play in tournaments rolls up to the first tee for my round Saturday and only has 9 clubs because he spent all his extra money on the Sunday bag he's going to carry, I say all the power to him. Once you start utilizing the handicap system, you must play in the same kind of conditions you would during competitive play to keep it relevant.

your opinion.

i agree with this. I am fully an advocate of find a way to fill your bag with tools to accomplish the task. Even if that means a chipper..

Find something to help you be successful.

this isn't about 'why 14' it's about establishing a handicap.

If one of my buddies who doesn't play in tournaments rolls up to the first tee for my round Saturday and only has 9 clubs because he spent all his extra money on the Sunday bag he's going to carry, I say all the power to him. Once you start utilizing the handicap system, you must play in the same kind of conditions you would during competitive play to keep it relevant.

I guess I'm not understanding why, though.

Is the rule, in competition, that you MUST play with 14 clubs? Do handicaps only count when playing 14 clubs?

Best I could find in limited research is the USGA only sets the cap at 14 clubs. There is no minimum.

So, while this is opinion, if you want to compete and establish a handicap with less than 14, I don't see an issue since it's totally legal.

Is the rule, in competition, that you MUST play with 14 clubs? Do handicaps only count when playing 14 clubs?

My thought on this is. What if your 9 club established handicap is 16. Do you not think you could play better with 14 clubs? So in competition you play to a 9 handicap because that 60 degree wedge works a lot better out of the sand than that 9 iron you decided to carry in your minimalist bag. Or now that you actually have a driver you are getting into greens with a lower lofted club etc.

I guess it is an interesting way to sand bag.

My thought on this is. What if your 9 club established handicap is 16. Do you not think you could play better with 14 clubs? So in competition you play to a 9. I guess it is an interesting way to sand bag.

Honestly, I don't know. This is one of those discussions where it's impossible to tell. Which makes it a fun debate.

All I know is that I don't hit all of my clubs every round. It's nice to have them there, certainly.

Best I could find in limited research is the USGA only sets the cap at 14 clubs. There is no minimum.

So, while this is opinion, if you want to compete and establish a handicap with less than 14, I don't see an issue since it's totally legal.

I think you're missing my point.

If you want to play ALL your rounds with a certain number of clubs (my tolerance threshold ends far before 'just a putter' but whatever), which includes all handicap producing rounds as well as competitive rounds with the same number, no problem.

...my issue is with Sunday bags, where you take a smaller number of clubs out there and score it to your handicap - which could potentially be altering your potential. Note I said "COULD" be.

Would you be okay playing a guy that establishes his handicap with hickory shafts and mashies from the 30s and then rolls up with a brand new set of clubs he practices with?

Honestly, I don't know. This is one of those discussions where it's impossible to tell. Which makes it a fun debate.

All I know is that I don't hit all of my clubs every round. It's nice to have them there, certainly.
I make sure I use every club each round. It’s rough when I’ve got a drivable par 4 18th and I realize the 8i is the only club I haven’t hit yet 🤦‍♂️

Would you be okay playing a guy that establishes his handicap with hickory shafts and mashies from the 30s and then rolls up with a brand new set of clubs he practices with?
"I play all my practice rounds with blades bruh, it helps me concentrate and improve my ball striking"

For sure. Last year, I tracked over 10 rounds how many times I hit all 14 clubs in my bag. This was play at a few different courses. It was interesting that I think I hit my 6 iron like 2 times or something like that. My point is, don't just drop the 6 and carry 13 clubs. Find a club that you will use and will help you somewhere else. Add a wedge or hybrid or second driver.

"I play all my practice rounds with blades bruh, it helps me concentrate and improve my ball striking"
I play all my practice rounds without golf balls. It helps me visualize success.

I think you're missing my point.

If you want to play ALL your rounds with a certain number of clubs (my tolerance threshold ends far before 'just a putter' but whatever), which includes all handicap producing rounds as well as competitive rounds with the same number, no problem.

...my issue is with Sunday bags, where you take a smaller number of clubs out there and score it to your handicap - which could potentially be altering your potential. Note I said "COULD" be.

That's an interesting view, but I hear you.

I guess it boils down to the question of whether or not this hypothetical golfer could have scored lower had they not been limited. It's probably a great unknown.

I mean... what's his handicap?

hahahahahahaha - Not sure why, but this cracked me up :ROFLMAO:

The real question is how many balls does he still lose?? hahaha

I mean... what's his handicap?

I can guarantee, higher than with what he practices with and would be rolling up and playing you with.
The handicap system is based on players creating with the same intent that they would in tournament conditions.

That's an interesting view, but I hear you.

I guess it boils down to the question of whether or not this hypothetical golfer could have scored lower had they not been limited. It's probably a great unknown.
If you carry 9 instead of 14, is it not realistic to assume that gapping issues would be present? How do you pick which ones to leave at home? Do you keep them all out of the bag for your competitive rounds as well? What's the end goal?

Back