PODCAST Off Course Episode 6: Walking vs Riding

I've just never seen it written that the handicap must be built and played in the same manner. What if a person builds their handicap walking and carrying, but then utilized a push cart during the torunament?
There's nothing in the rules that penalizes you for screaming and waving your hands around while someone else is trying to hit, either.

What's your point?

I've just never seen it written that the handicap must be built and played in the same manner. What if a person builds their handicap walking and carrying, but then utilized a push cart during the torunament?

Rounds for handicap must (at least pretty sure they use the must verbiage here) be played in accordance to the rules of golf and attempt to shoot the best score possible for each hole. So in technica terms, yes you need to build it and play it in the same manner in terms of effort put into the round. In my view that does not include walking vs riding or switching out equipment, but IT does include building a cap based off of options you have in the bag; as in recording scores with say 5 clubs then giving you more options to score better by adding the rest in a tournament setting. Doesn’t mean you will score better with more clubs but you could.

Last edited:
There's nothing in the rules that penalizes you for screaming and waving your hands around while someone else is trying to hit, either.

What's your point?

You must have a different rule book than I do. Rule 1.2a covers that very situation.

Screenshot_20200522-132530_USGA Rules.jpg

Is it really a rule if there is no penalty for breaking it? It's more of a set of guidelines right?

1590172228515.png

How many strokes do you think you’re dropping based on that? If it’s measurable, then it’s not a good indication of your true handicap index.

Excellent point. Its impossible to measure how many strokes could be gained or lost by carrying more or less clubs.

Must I? Your argument is completely ignoring 1.2a so why can't I ignore it too in my examples?

View attachment 8945021
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching. As soon as you show me where playing with <14 clubs is wrong, you can use that to support your stance.

Good luck.

I'd call DQ a penalty of sorts. View attachment 8945022

Any time it takes a commitee to decide you know it is a bad rule.. hahaha. I get that you have to act accordingly and if you are being a jerk you can be DQ'd alla Sergio. But, this one requires more discussion.

Way off course now...

Any time it takes a commitee to decide you know it is a bad rule.. hahaha. I get that you have to act accordingly and if you are being a jerk you can be DQ'd alla Sergio. But, this one requires more discussion.

Way off course now...
He, you brought it up. I just posted the Rule.

Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching. As soon as you show me where playing with <14 clubs is wrong, you can use that to support your stance.

Good luck.
Knowingly altering the conditions with which you play in order to establish a handicap is 100% lacking integrity. Do you think me establishing a handicap with 14 left handed clubs only to switch to right handed clubs for a tournament is fair?

but... but... it doesn't say it anywhere in the rules that I can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Integrity.

I think we've lost the rational discussion.. Are people arguing just to argue? Clearly if you are doing something to get an unfair advantage it is against the spirit of the rules.

Excellent point. Its impossible to measure how mamybstrokes could be gained or lost by carrying more or less clubs.
I strongly disagree. I’d lose a ton of strokes if I tossed half my clubs and went out to play. No way could I argue that having 14 clubs isn’t an advantage over 13 or les. This whole thing just goes back to the integrity of the game. If you’re looking for a loophole, then it’s probably inadvisable. Especially if you establish a handicap with 9 clubs (or however many under 14) and show up on tournament day with a full bag.

Good luck.

I don’t think that’s what he was saying in terms of playing in general. It’s about building a handicap which is supposed to truly reflect your potential. Now why 14? Who knows. But that’s the rule for maximum so there it is. If people want to play with less ( I do) then fine but just do it because that’s how you plan on competing, not so it’ll make your handicap higher and then adding clubs come tournament time.

Knowingly altering the conditions with which you play in order to establish a handicap is 100% lacking integrity. Do you think me establishing a handicap with 14 left handed clubs only to switch to right handed clubs for a tournament is fair?

but... but... it doesn't say it anywhere in the rules that I can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Integrity.

I don't see how that could be wrong. If you're playing enough to setup a legit handicap left handed, then you're probably lacking in your RH practice.

I think we've lost the rational discussion.. Are people arguing just to argue? Clearly if you are doing something to get an unfair advantage it is against the spirit of the rules.

Ok I just lost my train of thought. I’m officially off course. I need all of those dogs in my life.

Knowingly altering the conditions with which you play in order to establish a handicap is 100% lacking integrity.

What if I were to establish a handicap on a much harder course than I'm planning on playing a tournament on? That would be knowingly altering the conditions with which I play.

I don't see how that could be wrong. If you're playing enough to setup a legit handicap left handed, then you're probably lacking in your RH practice.
You're not on an island, you're on another planet.

I don’t think that’s what he was saying in terms of playing in general. It’s about building a handicap which is supposed to truly reflect your potential. Now why 14? Who knows. But that’s the rule for maximum so there it is. If people want to play with less ( I do) then fine but just do it because that’s how you plan on competing, not so it’ll make your handicap higher and then adding clubs come tournament time.

All I'm saying is that adding clubs doesn't increase the potential success for everyone. Some people need less choices not more. Some due to lack of skill, some due to poor decision making, etc. There's nothing that can say, across the board for everyone, that playing with 14 clubs in the bag increases the chances of success over playing with 13 (or less) clubs in the bag 100% of the time. Some people just might play better with less clubs.

What if I were to establish a handicap on a much harder course than I'm planning on playing a tournament on? That would be knowingly altering the conditions with which I play.
Honestly asking, isn't that what the slope and rating are supposed to protect against?

Honestly asking, isn't that what the slope and rating are supposed to protect against?

Yeah, they are, but it's still a change. I dunno. He pulled that "change" statement out of thin air so I countered with something equally absurd.

You're not on an island, you're on another planet.

You think? What if someone is ambidextrous and can play (nearly) equally well from either side. Should they be bound by some expectation to only play from the side they're best at?

Back