Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. I am not picking a side here, I am genuinely asking, which one is it?

I don't think it can be answered, but I am sure the same 4 people here will have very strong opinions that are also not political until they are...not being a smart ass just so sick of whole thing. Being in the apparent death age range I just try to get though each day without losing my mind.

My wife who has not left the house except to pick up the granddaughter for the last 3 months finally broke last night and we went to Bonefish for dinner, it was glorious. The absolute best double dirty Grey Goose Martini I have ever had..the fish was not bad either.

I played Evergreen a couple years back and wasn’t impressed. Lakewood was a nice course when I played it about 5 years ago.

We did get a lot of rain, but I’ve played two other courses in the area since the rain - Caberfae Peaks and Emerald Vale. Both were soggy in a couple spots but were in great shape other than that.

Elderado in Cadillac might be in good shape. A bit too pricey for me but it isn’t a bad track.

Good luck.

Lakewood was in pretty good condition. Tough track. Much better than yesterday. Son back to work tomorrow so i head home in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or ... he could have framed it better from the get go, saying "We understand that this pandemic is a serious issue, and we have Drs Fauci and Brix to help us navigate this issue. We will have a temporary shutdown during which we will develop rapid, inexpensive, accurate testing, and we will work with state governments to make sure these tests are rolled out in a timely fashion. We also understand that a sustained shutdown will have long-lasting economic impact, and so we have these professionals (Mr and Mrs X, Y and Z) on board to work in conjunction to help us navigate those concerns. We will do our best to find a balance that protects our citizens from both COVID-19 and a severe economic downturn."

We didn't get that though. All we got was a tweet that said "WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF". :rolleyes:

We clearly listened to different people because your “wishful” quote is exactly what was said. But the problem is politics keep getting in the way so people only hear what they want to hear. I don’t have a political fight in this game, I am a neutral party, I am really not taking sides here.

You just made this post political, I simply asked which one is it, because I hear both sides arguing about he should have done this, he should have done that, and in the end all that finger pointing gets you is absolutely nowhere.

DETROIT FREE PRESS: Gov. Gretchen Whitmer extends Michigan stay home order to June 12.

Now what is the ticket situation going to look like?
At least for Baylor, I was shocked how few people cancelled tickets. Less openings trying to upgrade today than any of the prior 3 years.

Or ... he could have framed it better from the get go, saying "We understand that this pandemic is a serious issue, and we have Drs Fauci and Brix to help us navigate this issue. We will have a temporary shutdown during which we will develop rapid, inexpensive, accurate testing, and we will work with state governments to make sure these tests are rolled out in a timely fashion. We also understand that a sustained shutdown will have long-lasting economic impact, and so we have these professionals (Mr and Mrs X, Y and Z) on board to work in conjunction to help us navigate those concerns. We will do our best to find a balance that protects our citizens from both COVID-19 and a severe economic downturn."

We didn't get that though. All we got was a tweet that said "WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF". :rolleyes:
Deuce, do you really think the administration has not tried to get the testing pushed out? Isn't that a function of the private sector? I am really surprised with all the great medical minds and research facilites here in the U.S. they have not whipped this thing. I am a old Piledriver so no chance at understanding all the graphs and surveys and frankly don't want too, but I bet my wife 2 months ago that someone at a University here in the U.S. or at a pharma Company would have had the testing thing figured out and a way to beat this thing worked out in 2-3 months.

Is it that tough of a bug that even the best in the world cannot figure out how to beat it? THe Company that figures out how to beat this thing will make Billions, why has it not happened?

It can't be the red mans fault all together. Not that this is political in any way...

This thread today...sheesh.

Let’s roll back the martyr card a bit. The last 2 bannings of forum members here were both because of their nonstop right wing political talk.

There is virtually nobody in this thread, regardless of political views that would agree with you to just have the government support us since they have plenty of money. In fact both sides have been very clear as of late about opening safely.

But it is posts like this that do tell us that perhaps we have let this go on long enough and just close the thread. Although better than the guy we banned that called me a Nazi...Which is funny considering my religion.
In my post I didnt question any banning thats been done due to political talk. And Im certainly not suggesting youd ban anyone just for different views. You never done that before that i know of and ive certainly (as you know) have had more than my share of different and unpopular views...lol. My opinion I dont feel it has to close and hope you dont. Just that it does though fwiw and sort of by default become slanted towrads one side for some the reasons I given imo.
. As you say yourself......." there isnt a person in the thread would agree with me". Lol but thats sort of what I mean how its gradually and collectively fallen (hence the metaphor "gravity") towards one side more than another. But id like to see it stay open.
It has served imo alot of us well even if just a means to occupy our brains while we are not currently out doing many the other things we use to do.

on an other note my county course went back to 4somes today. But they are keeping 16 min tee times. Which honestly i am liking because it gives great elbow room for maintaining a nice pace and offers room for lessening the amount of slower rounds played. We played this course (very long to walk course) in under 4 which is something we never do as it usually is a solid 420 due to ostly its distance between holes, Ive always maintained tee time intervals shouldn't be too close and is one of a few big reason for slow golf. At 16 mins every group had elbow room between them and it worked which sort of proves my point Ive always felt.

I am 65 and don't feel "at-risk". No way I would have SIP'ed for months. I hiked and/or walked every day until golf was opened back up, now I walk the golf course. I occasionally go to the grocery store and pharmacy. Yes, I wear a mask when I am in a store, but I never felt scared or at-risk.

In my post I didnt question any banning thats been done due to political talk. And Im certainly not suggesting youd ban anyone just for different views. You never done that before that i know of and ive certainly (as you know) have had more than my share of different and unpopular views...lol. My opinion I dont feel it has to close and hope you dont. Just that it does though fwiw and sort of by default become slanted towrads one side for some the reasons I given imo.
. As you say yourself......." there isnt a person in the thread would agree with me". Lol but thats sort of what I mean how its gradually and collectively fallen (hence the metaphor "gravity") towards one side more than another. But id like to see it stay open.
It has served imo alot of us well even if just a means to occupy our brains while we are not currently out doing many the other things we use to do.

on an other note my county course went back to 4somes today. But they are keeping 16 min tee times. Which honestly i am liking because it gives great elbow room for maintaining a nice pace and offers room for lessening the amount of slower rounds played. We played this course (very long to walk course) in under 4 which is something we never do as it usually is a solid 420 due to ostly its distance between holes, Ive always maintained tee time intervals shouldn't be too close and is one of a few big reason for slow golf. At 16 mins every group had elbow room between them and it worked which sort of proves my point Ive always felt.

Dude if you think this thread is full of people that agree with me, then you clearly have skipped more than half the posts in here. And that’s okay, because for the most part (not all), its done in a fairly healthy debate of sharing ideas and news.

But the entire idea that this thread is one sided is even crazier than the idea that we should just have the government provide for us because they have plenty of money.

It’s a lose, lose here because when Trump brought in the economic advisors to open up the country he was slammed for listening to non medical professionals because this was a medical issue not an economic issue. Now he should take the blame for listening to the medical professional. Which one is it?

It’s pretty easy really, you listen to all your advisors and make an informed decision. The buck stops at the presidency. A President absolutely has to listen to the economic advisors and health advisors, but neither of them have all the answers. Again, the answer lies somewhere in the middle and the devil is in the details.

Some are too concerned with ratings and appearances. A leader is not afraid to make an informed decision, recognize that it will not be perfect and take ownership of the results, good and bad. Currently we are dealing with “leadership” that undermines its own policy in the same press conference said policy is announced. And when something goes wrong, it’s always going to be someone else’s failing.

I’m sorry I got political, I don’t think I could have answered without “going there”. I tried to make it more generic but we all know what I’m talking about. Don’t hit me wit da ban hamma!!!

And with that, I’m going to get this holiday weekend going. I’ve got golf, mountain biking, wakeboarding and dinner out planned. It’s going down!

Last edited:
People have a tendency to see what reinforces their beliefs. If something contradicts those beliefs, it is either ignored or spun in such a way to make it more palatable.

My experience here, our governor took too long to listen to any type of economic task force. It would be incredibly irresponsible to proceed without gathering all possible intel from both the medical and economic sectors.

And I do think this just a messed up situation. A lose-lose with no right answer. Singapore was lauded, then not so much asthey had to re-sip. Brasil, another extreme, doesn’t seem like a suitable model. You probably weren’t going to come out of this relatively unscathed.

We would call this “un palito cagado”. There’s no way to get a grip on it without getting crap all over your hands.

It’s pretty easy really, you listen to all your advisors and make an informed decision. The buck stops at the presidency. A President absolutely has to listen to the economic advisors and health advisors, but neither of them have all the answers. Again, the answer lies somewhere in the middle and the devil is in the details.

Some are too concerned with ratings and appearances. A leader is not afraid to make an informed decision, recognize that it will not be perfect and take ownership of the results, good and bad. Currently we are dealing with “leadership” that undermines its own policy in the same press conference said policy is announced. And when something goes wrong, it’s always going to be someone else’s failing.

I’m sorry I got political, I don’t think I could have answered without “going there”. I tried to make it more generic but we all know what I’m talking about. Don’t hit me wit da ban hamma!!!

That is exactly what he did. He listened to the medical people, then listened to the economy people. Made the phased plan to open the economy back up, and got blasted for that. Your post is exactly what I am saying, you only see one side, so whatever he does is wrong, no matter what decision he makes. If he listened to the docs then he should have had the balls to stand up to them and listen to the economists. Listen to the economists and he should have had the balls to say no, it’s a medical thing. He works with both to come up with a plan and somehow that’s still not right. How dare you force the governors to open if they aren’t ready, how dare you put the decision on the governors this should be coming from the top. It’s a lose, lose, no matter what he does both sides are going to come after him. But Like you said, you made it political, you only see it from your side. That’s your choice, and that’s fine, but let’s not bring it into this thread.

Deuce, do you really think the administration has not tried to get the testing pushed out? Isn't that a function of the private sector? I am really surprised with all the great medical minds and research facilites here in the U.S. they have not whipped this thing. I am a old Piledriver so no chance at understanding all the graphs and surveys and frankly don't want too, but I bet my wife 2 months ago that someone at a University here in the U.S. or at a pharma Company would have had the testing thing figured out and a way to beat this thing worked out in 2-3 months.

Is it that tough of a bug that even the best in the world cannot figure out how to beat it? THe Company that figures out how to beat this thing will make Billions, why has it not happened?

It can't be the red mans fault all together. Not that this is political in any way...
While I don't assign 100% of the blame directly to the President, I think a large number of his mistakes are because he listens to people he's put in place who are giving him horrible advice, and really should be nowhere near the White House. I won't say more to avoid getting more political.

With that aside, the US failed at early testing thanks to the CDC goofing the initial roll-out of their tests, and the FDA not having a streamlined process to allow companies/hospitals/universities from rolling out their own products. I know it's a sticky situation and I know the FDA has their regulations for a reason, as evidenced by the Chinese flooding the testing market with craptastic tests taking advantage of the newly relaxed FDA restrictions, forcing the US to have to go back and vet tests. The CDC test failure, and initial FDA regulations, really introduced a delay we have yet, IMO, to recover from. Could someone in power/authority pulled some levers to move that along? Could we have expanded on the tests developed by another country? Maybe. Possibly. That's a few comments without getting into a TL;DR post though.

There is plenty of blame to go around, and I really hope we do a post-mortem after the pandemic, and I really hope we can fix the major gaps through sensible laws, sensible regulation, and a sensible pandemic framework, such that all American citizens receive the protections they deserve in a coordinated and rapid manner during a future event (that will eventually happen).

Last edited:
I just really cannot stand that statement which has been made many times in this thread. That statement is everything so much an "all about me" and selfishness.
The debate or counter to that could just as easily be......"No one has to die from covid just so you can go dine out on a Saturday evening or do whatever other leisurely activity you want"
lets face it.......thats what most the arguments from many folks is really about.

I cannot wrap my brain around your argument/counterpoint/or whatever you'd call this.
If I died because someone else went out to dine, or did some other leisurely activity......I surely can't say it's their fault, because I obviously did the same thing....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That is exactly what he did. He listened to the medical people, then listened to the economy people. Made the phased plan to open the economy back up, and got blasted for that. Your post is exactly what I am saying, you only see one side, so whatever he does is wrong, no matter what decision he makes. If he listened to the docs then he should have had the balls to stand up to them and listen to the economists. Listen to the economists and he should have had the balls to say no, it’s a medical thing. He works with both to come up with a plan and somehow that’s still not right. How dare you force the governors to open if they aren’t ready, how dare you put the decision on the governors this should be coming from the top. It’s a lose, lose, no matter what he does both sides are going to come after him. But Like you said, you made it political, you only see it from your side. That’s your choice, and that’s fine, but let’s not bring it into this thread.

Well originally I was defending Fauci as part of a team without getting political. I don’t see how you can be critical of Fauci, but give his boss a pass?

I really don’t think I see only one side, I work in finance and have a deep understanding of the last three month’s impact. I might see it differently, but it’s certainly not one sided.

Also, he got blasted for his plan because he introduced it and then actively pushed states to violate it within 24 hours. Which hearkens back to what I said about leadership.

But I digress. Happy Memorial Day everyone. I love you all.

Well originally I was defending Fauci as part of a team without getting political. I don’t see how you can be critical of Fauci, but give his boss a pass?

I really don’t think I see only one side, I work in finance and have a deep understanding of the last three month’s impact. I might see it differently, but it’s certainly not one sided.

Also, he got blasted for his plan because he introduced it and then actively pushed states to violate it within 24 hours. Which harkens back to what I said about leadership.

But I digress. Happy Memorial Day everyone. I love you all.

And all this post does is once again see one side. It’s fine, that’s where you align and I have absolutely no problem with that. I just wish people can admit they only see it one way and learn to keep the politics out of this thread. Maybe this will be your last political post??? Maybe...

Masks do not help - Fauci

You must wear a mask - Fauci

You must stay indoors to prevent the spread of Covid19 - Fauci

Staying closed for too long could cause 'irreparable damage’ - Fauci

It’s tough taking advice from the Medical Expert when this is what they give you. I didn’t even mention the prediction of 500k deaths.

Michigan Governor extends stay at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back