NJ Golf courses are opening!!

Just got done playing Architects. First time there I’m years, before the clubhouse was built. Course was in immaculate condition aside from the bunkers which were pretty rough, and unfortunately not because they weren’t allowing raking. Lots of rocks and just not manicured at all.
other than that, pace of play was fantastic. They were now allowing 4somes but still with the 16 min blocks and we still finished in under 4 hours(not including a 20-30 min frost delay).

Just got done playing Architects. First time there I’m years, before the clubhouse was built. Course was in immaculate condition aside from the bunkers which were pretty rough, and unfortunately not because they weren’t allowing raking. Lots of rocks and just not manicured at all.
other than that, pace of play was fantastic. They were now allowing 4somes but still with the 16 min blocks and we still finished in under 4 hours(not including a 20-30 min frost delay).

I played there Sunday morning. Course like you said is in fantastic shape, but the bunkers are in awful shape. We were taking the ball out of the bunkers for the most part and putting it closest in the rough beside the bunkers. We played in 3 hours and about 10 minutes.

I played there Sunday morning. Course like you said is in fantastic shape, but the bunkers are in awful shape. We were taking the ball out of the bunkers for the most part and putting it closest in the rough beside the bunkers. We played in 3 hours and about 10 minutes.
I’m surprised at how firm the fairways were considering all the rain we’ve had. Ball was rolling pretty good.

I’m surprised at how firm the fairways were considering all the rain we’ve had. Ball was rolling pretty good.

yes the fairways were running. I’d hate to see how much they run in August.
playing Royce Brook Sunday, another place with firm fairways but it’s supposed to rain Friday night into Saturday so that should slow them down. Greensat Royce Brook need to be softened up too though. Played there first weekend open and the greens were like rocks hitting into them but were very slow, usually they are very fast.

yes the fairways were running. I’d hate to see how much they run in August.
playing Royce Brook Sunday, another place with firm fairways but it’s supposed to rain Friday night into Saturday so that should slow them down. Greensat Royce Brook need to be softened up too though. Played there first weekend open and the greens were like rocks hitting into them but were very slow, usually they are very fast.
Haven’t been out to Royce Brook in a while. I know the East course gets a lot of hate on the forums but I always enjoy playing it. I thought I saw they have the golf boards. Any idea if they’re still renting them out and what the extra fee is?
Also, let me know if they have the grass range open yet...or is that reserved for members?

Haven’t been out to Royce Brook in a while. I know the East course gets a lot of hate on the forums but I always enjoy playing it. I thought I saw they have the golf boards. Any idea if they’re still renting them out and what the extra fee is?
Also, let me know if they have the grass range open yet...or is that reserved for members?

The golf boards aren't out as far as I know. i haven't seen them in the last 2 seasons. The range is open but the grass range is for members only.

I like the Mercer county courses but can’t seem to get a tee time in any of them. It’s horrible!
Time to play (my swing sucks right now) and having a hard time to get a time!
cant even find a lesson to square me away

I like the Mercer county courses but can’t seem to get a tee time in any of them. It’s horrible!
Time to play (my swing sucks right now) and having a hard time to get a time!
cant even find a lesson to square me away

This weekend they started foursomes every 16 minutes, I am hearing next week it will be 12 minutes. I have had no problem securing a tee time every weekend and some during the week too.

I have played Knob Hill 2x in tournaments before. Very nice track.

Yea it’s one of the better housing development tracks I’ve played. Of course it was re done so it plays much nicer these days.

Couple more pics:

Yea it’s one of the better housing development tracks I’ve played. Of course it was re done so it plays much nicer these days.

Couple more pics:

yes I really enjoyed the course. Didn’t play well the first time out there, didn’t have any knowledge of the course whatsoever. 2nd time I played much better.
I am playing Royce Brook tomorrow and Fox Hollow next Sunday. During the week is up in the air not sure where I am going to play.

yes I really enjoyed the course. Didn’t play well the first time out there, didn’t have any knowledge of the course whatsoever. 2nd time I played much better.
I am playing Royce Brook tomorrow and Fox Hollow next Sunday. During the week is up in the air not sure where I am going to play.

I only played Royce brook I think on Pub side awhile ago. Pretty flat track if I remember correctly. The side I was on I remember I bridge drive over for one of the holes. Fox hollow to me is a mish mash but i actually kind of like it. Has good potential although some of the uphill holes are strange imo. Let me know if Fox hollow has logo balls this year if u don’t mind. They didn’t have last year when I was there and would like to grab one before they r gone (someone told me it was sold and couple years will be housing development. Not sure how true this is).

Fox hollow. I believe I took this on 5th hole looking back :)

Sounds like your more central. Might I recommend Heron Glen or Neshanic Valley if they r open. Maybe Architects makes sense for you as well. Another housing development one to try in that area is Beaver Brook.

Last edited:
I only played Royce brook I think on Pub side awhile ago. Pretty flat track if I remember correctly. The side I was on I remember I bridge drive over for one of the holes. Fox hollow to me is a mish mash but i actually kind of like it. Has good potential although some of the uphill holes are strange imo. Let me know if Fox hollow has logo balls this year if u don’t mind. They didn’t have last year when I was there and would like to grab one before they r gone (someone told me it was sold and couple years will be housing development. Not sure how true this is).

Fox hollow. I believe I took this on 5th hole looking back :)

Sounds like your more central. Might I recommend Heron Glen or Neshanic Valley if they r open. Maybe Architects makes sense for you as well. Another housing development one to try in that area is Beaver Brook.
I played Architects last Sunday. It’s in unbelievable shape, 6 weeks of no play will do that. I have played it before, rest of my group has not. They are sheltered when it comes to golf, I like to play a lot of different courses to collect golf balls like you.
Haven’t been able to get on Neshanic yet. I don’t have a county card so they only let me book 5 days out. Heron Glen I haven’t played in a long time.
Fox Hollow was sold already and if I am not mistaken it is run by Billy Casper Golf now. Fox Hollow is verystrange in its set up. I am not a fan but my group likes to play different things and being that NYC courses are still closed we have been trying to play different courses in NJ.

I played Architects last Sunday. It’s in unbelievable shape, 6 weeks of no play will do that. I have played it before, rest of my group has not. They are sheltered when it comes to golf, I like to play a lot of different courses to collect golf balls like you.
Haven’t been able to get on Neshanic yet. I don’t have a county card so they only let me book 5 days out. Heron Glen I haven’t played in a long time.
Fox Hollow was sold already and if I am not mistaken it is run by Billy Casper Golf now. Fox Hollow is verystrange in its set up. I am not a fan but my group likes to play different things and being that NYC courses are still closed we have been trying to play different courses in NJ.

Ah so if your nyc and willing to go all the way to Architects then maybe check out Patriot Hills, Mansion on the Ridge, river vale CC, berkshire valley, Skyview. These r all north and northwest nj and rock land County ny. Even a little farther north upstate I think Wallkill is a hidden gem. You could try Garrison in Westchester although a lot of holes r side of a hill and angled. Back down the Parkway a little Galloping Hill. If u haven’t hit these already :)

Ah so if your nyc and willing to go all the way to Architects then maybe check out Patriot Hills, Mansion on the Ridge, river vale CC, berkshire valley, Skyview. These r all north and northwest nj and rock land County ny. Even a little farther north upstate I think Wallkill is a hidden gem. You could try Garrison in Westchester although a lot of holes r side of a hill and angled. Back down the Parkway a little Galloping Hill. If u haven’t hit these already :)

I have played Galloping Hills, Mansion on the Ridge, River Vale and Skyview. I will have to try the others soon.

This weekend they started foursomes every 16 minutes, I am hearing next week it will be 12 minutes. I have had no problem securing a tee time every weekend and some during the week too.
I prefer the weekday times. Closer to a 4 hour round. I can’t handle the standing around waiting.

Played Pennsauken yesterday. Place was in good shape. They have this system on high alert.
clubhouse closed
Can not enter until 10 min before
They have a fence with a chain to not permit people from wandering in.
place was pretty good. Greens were slow

I prefer the weekday times. Closer to a 4 hour round. I can’t handle the standing around waiting.

I played Neshanic yesterday, Ridge and Meadows 9’s. Play pace was very good, played in 3 1/2hours. Course is in super shape. Meadows was redone over the winter and the bunkers have been redone, new sand reshaped and eliminated some. Greens were slow too. Every course I have played in NJ has had slow greens so far. Pace of play with 16 minute tee times has been phenomenal even on the weekends. We haven’t played longer than 330/340 on any of our rounds.

Played Stone Harbor on Monday. Course was in good shape except the tee boxes. They are a little rough shape despite there having not been that much play. Starter went through a ten minute discussion about what we could and could not do on the course before letting us go to the first tee. No club house, no practice green, no range.

Not quite NJ but close to Philly.
Philmont CC.
Friendly staff. Very easy going. Good pace of play. Course in decent shape. Greens still growing in a bit so a little bumpy. Come back in 3 weeks and course should be in perfect shape imo.

Played Fox Hollow Golf yesterday, boy was that a rough round. And I don’t mean the course, my golf game atrocious. I hit I think 2 fairways of 14. And I walked/drove past my ball in the very thick rough multiple times and my partners looking for their balls as well. Course is in great shape, bunkers are pre-raked each morning, no rakes for players, rough is the thickest I have seen it ever there and the greens were like putting a marble on glass and these greens have a lot of slope in them to begin with they don’t need to be that fast to crush your soul. I did the old”I can hit this 5 iron out the rough from 205 out no problem multiple times”, even though on one of them I drove past the ball 2x and walked over it once. The ball was falling into the rough if you rolled off the fairway or you landed in the rough. Not a good day yesterday....

Playing Mercer Oaks East in Thursday. I hope they mow the greens in the AM

Not quite NJ but close to Philly.
Philmont CC.
Friendly staff. Very easy going. Good pace of play. Course in decent shape. Greens still growing in a bit so a little bumpy. Come back in 3 weeks and course should be in perfect shape imo.

An assistant pro was killed there yesterday. So sad.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 11.20.26 AM.png

Back