How do you choose a bag?

Joshnoble01

2024 THP Fantasy Football Experience w/ Adam Rank
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How do you choose a bag. Do you have to play a club if that brand? What are your criteria?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my last three bags it's been easy - Sun Mountain C-130, select color, buy. I like the C-130's layout and their durability is excellent.

14 way, built in cooler, Michigan. Purchased

C1D486B4-829A-439F-94A4-EDEA4A05826A.jpeg

14-way, somewhat lightweight, good reviews, cooler pouch is a nice touch - I don't mind which brand if it's well made.

Currently - Ping Traverse

I want the best carry bag out there over all else. That’s why I always use a PING Hoofer.

Brand does not matter. It has to do what I want it to do but it also has to look good. I enjoy LE bags and Sunday bags.

However, if I had to choose a bag purely on function it would be hard to beat a hoofer.

for carrying, i'm looking to get as light as possible but stay pleasing to the eye and have enough pockets for extra balls, tees, rangefinder and a pullover/windbreaker and a 4 way top...for riding, pockets for everything (balls, tees, a hoodie when it's cooler, cooler pouch (not pocket) in a sturdier build/material...I guess a 14 way divider in it but that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I want the best carry bag out there over all else. That’s why I always use a PING Hoofer.

It probably is the single most functional bag. So long as I can change bags based on need I'll have my personality bags, but if I had to grind on the course I'm choosing the hoofer.

14-way, somewhat lightweight, good reviews, cooler pouch is a nice touch - I don't mind which brand if it's well made.

Currently - Ping Traverse

This, great bag.

Since I can only ride I always go for a cart bag. This bag must also have 14-way divider. Love all the pocket also.

20200502_140207.jpg

14 way, on sale, and the clubs I play!
Sold

I’ve always had trouble buying a bag if I don’t have a club from that company. Main reason I didn’t buy the ping. Silly. But that’s what I did.

How do you choose a bag. Do you have to play a club if that brand? What are your criteria?

I'd be out of luck if I wanted to play a club the same brand as my bag. I don't think Sun Mountain makes clubs. :geek:

I'd say most important features would be 14 way top, full length dividers, lots of pockets, reasonable weight, and a decent price.

Has to have a 14 way top and prefer it to have a putter well. I both ride and walk so fairly light but enough pouches to hold my junk.

If I likes it, I buys it. It doesnt really matter what the brand is or if I have any clubs from that brand. I tend to gravitate towards Sunday bags because I like that they are lighter weight and I usually only carry 9 clubs anyways, so I dont need a fullsize bag.

All roads are pointing me to the Ping Hoofer. I always buy a stand bag. Its been a challenge finding a stand bag with the 14 dividers. So I may be upgrading to the hoofer soon.

I have to like the way it looks. I need pockets for all the useless things I bring on the course. I prefer it to be on the lighter side, but doesn't have to be Sunday bag light. If it's a stand bag, the legs have to be reliable and not hang down after use. If cart bag, 14 way dividers are nice. I could probably think of a couple more things, but those are the main aspects I look for.

My first back was just some TM stand bag that I picked up when bought some off the shelf 2nd hand clubs. Then I bought a Jones Original carry which I have still not used but will use for shorter courses where I don't need a cart. I just replaced the TM with at first a Cobra TEC F6-S bag, which I returned ASAP after it arrived (It said 14 way but they are not full length which I wanted due to +4 grips getting tangled. Now I have a Sun Mountain C130, which I then got 20% more off as it went on flash sale about 6 hours after i bought it! So all in, it was a sweet deal for me and it's a lovely bag. So well laid out and it looks good too. Looking forward to my first round with it tomorrow.

It’s an easy choice. Sun Mountain in whatever color my wife chose when she bought for me, so currently Red.

Price, weight, pockets. I think those help evaluate a bag. That order for sure.

Hown often do people replace them?

Cheapest good looking ogio stand bag on Amazon 6 or so years ago.

Prefer to go with non-club brand specific, such as Sun Mountain or Ogio. 14-way plus a putter well is definitely preferred unless Ogio brings back the Woode top, which is a very suitable alternative to the 14-way IMO. Zippered cooler pocket is definitely preferred since I play in high heat and humidity. Has to sit well on a push cart, since that is what I use for over 95% of my rounds.

I have a Red & White & Blue preference in colors with no brand loyalty. I recently purchased one of Hogan's carry bags. It's pretty light, and the stand system works smooth. I keep a piece of foam in the bag to protect the leg bracket when I use it with the pull cart.

Ben Hogan Bag.JPG

Back