Sudden lower launch

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
Let’s talk about launch. All of a sudden I am launching my long irons and woods REALLY low. I had a few 3 wood shots come off at 3 or 4 degrees and I can’t help but laugh when that happens.

Obviously it could be a few things for me but have you ever had this happen (or the opposite) and how did you adjust?

3 and 4 degrees and you are not hitting them low on the face?

Unless I'm just striking low I take a face on video to see where my hands are at impact.

Or wait for my brand new Forged Tecs and see where launch is then. :D

That low of launch almost sounds like you are almost topping the ball. Move it in your stance just a bit and you will be fine.

3 and 4 degrees and you are not hitting them low on the face?
It might be low on the face but it comes off with a lot of ball speed so I’m not sure. I was seeing 140 or so with the 3 wood so I don’t think they were topped.

It might be low on the face but it comes off with a lot of ball speed so I’m not sure. I was seeing 140 or so with the 3 wood so I don’t think they were topped.

Low on the face will almost always result in more ball speed.

That low of launch almost sounds like you are almost topping the ball. Move it in your stance just a bit and you will be fine.
Very possible, who knows. I know I did top my first ball in over a year last round but today it wasn’t showing up as a top (but again, it may have been!)

Low on the face will almost always result in more ball speed.
Shoot, well we might have our answer. I’ve been trying to bring the launch down but that’s insane 😂

I bought lighter clubs (Shafts). 47 g in Driver, 58 in hybrids, 110 in irons. I was hitting line drives and it changed, probably a mental thing as well. I will move into 95 g in next irons. Good luck.

I bought lighter clubs (Shafts). 47 g in Driver, 58 in hybrids, 110 in irons. I was hitting line drives and it changed, probably a mental thing as well. I will move into 95 g in next irons. Good luck.
Yeah, I’ve been messing with my swing and it has been good but when it’s bad, yikes.

Shoot, well we might have our answer. I’ve been trying to bring the launch down but that’s insane 😂

Low on the face: More speed, lower launch, higher spin

Yes sir - I’ve written about it a million times and yet when I apply it to myself, all logic goes out the window. I feel like Turk in the diabetes episode (sorry, scrubs fan).

• Haha
Reactions: JB
@Molten I forgot to ask is this low launch off the tee or deck?

Inverted cones, speed slots, etc. These club designers know how to help a mediocre golfer!
I wonder how much ball speed I get on the topped wedges I struggle with sometimes.

With irons, hybrids, and/or fairways? Because that is not true with driver. Low on the driver face is the slowest of low/mid/high contact.

With irons, hybrids, and/or fairways? Because that is not true with driver. Low on the driver face is the slowest of low/mid/high contact.

Actually it depends on the driver and where weight is placed.
I was speaking specifically for fairway woods, where in our testing, we are dealing with consolidated real estate and weight quite different than in a driver.

The OP spoke about very low launch and gave examples of 3 wood. Driver wasn’t mentioned.

Any strike under the centre of gravity of the clubhead with twist the club face down regardless of the shaft. A strike close to the leading edge of the club face may have part of the ball wrapped around the leading edge before it rebounds off the face with low spin.
Spin is related to attack angle and ball compression causing distortion of the balls cover.

could be low face strike

check ball position

check wrist set at the top (too little will give you low launch)

Back