First Look: Callaway MD5 Raw Wedges

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
If you don’t think that golf manufacturers pay attention to the people, then you might not be paying attention yourself. For this one, I really recommend you pay attention. 

What’s the big deal? Well, after a lot of internet outcry, pandering, and flat out begging, Callaway Golf is bringing more MD5 wedges to the people…in a raw finish. You read that right, MD5 in raw. Now, some are wondering if this is going to be like previous raw releases from Callaway that were a little on the limited side where options and grinds are concerned. That can be put to bed, as multiple lofts and grinds are on their way, even with a few new options. 

1-13.jpg

The MD5 Story

As a refresher, the MD5 is the brainchild of wedge legend Roger Cleveland...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great write-up James....I need to get some Jaws in my future.... such a nice looking set.

I go back and forth for my love and hatred of Raw wedges, but these look fantastic. My gut tells me I will have a 56 degree in the bag at some point.

No up charge for RAW = :love::love::love:

Understand the appeal from a finish perspective but other than that, does the raw really change any playing characteristics? Lots of talking of spin but seems like most testing doesn't really validate higher spin on raw wedges. :unsure:

Either way, it's Callaway doing what Callaway does best: giving people what they want in a club. (y)

Nice write up as always James!

More options is always a good thing for us. I don’t reay care too much one way or the other on raw wedges. I know some love them. Would be interested in learning more about the T grind.

Understand the appeal from a finish perspective but other than that, does the raw really change any playing characteristics? Lots of talking of spin but seems like most testing doesn't really validate higher spin on raw wedges. :unsure:

Either way, it's Callaway doing what Callaway does best: giving people what they want in a club. (y)

Unplated wedges can have more precise (sharper) grooves because there is nothing added to them. With that said, they can also wear faster. So a bit of a give and take.

• Staff

I discussed this in the article, rust doesn’t add spin.

But the removal of playing can play an effect, it also can wear faster.

• Staff
It’s always interesting how different we are when it comes to raw wedges. I think many don’t realize it you don’t want the rust, you can prevent it.

That said, this could be enough to get me to really try the MD5’s now, and the having a 62 helps there too.

I am a big fan of the X grind and love my Chrome MD5 Jaws wedges. The raw finish does not appeal to me personally but I am glad that those looking for it will now be able to experience the fantastic Jaws lineup.

Not my cup of tea when it comes to the raw finish. I take care of my clubs and I don't store them where rust is an issue, but even a little bit of rust will drive me crazy so I stat away from that finish.

That said, I know I am in the minority and this offering will appeal to a lot of golfers.

Not my cup of tea when it comes to the raw finish. I take care of my clubs and I don't store them where rust is an issue, but even a little bit of rust will drive me crazy so I stat away from that finish.

That said, I know I am in the minority and this offering will appeal to a lot of golfers.
Nah, the pro raw/rust group is the minority here. Which is what makes it impressive that Callaway is listening.

It’s always interesting how different we are when it comes to raw wedges. I think many don’t realize it you don’t want the rust, you can prevent it.

That said, this could be enough to get me to really try the MD5’s now, and the having a 62 helps there too.

Best way to stop it from rusting? Put a plating on it. :giggle:

Although I appreciate why some folks like the raw look, it's not for me. I went Tour grey because didn't like the chrome and when I tried the chrome plated, glare/reflection was actually an issue for me.

That being said, the tour grey is wearing in an interesting pattern and just anecdotally feel like they are getting softer on strike. Probably just in my head though. And a different thread altogether. :giggle:

Nah, the pro raw/rust group is the minority here. Which is what makes it impressive that Callaway is listening.

If true, that leads me to believe that more of the mainstream golfers (non forum golfers) wanted it, because it says something to release this finish "mid-season" unless the market is there for it. Especially right now.

If true, that leads me to believe that more of the mainstream golfers (non forum golfers) wanted it, because it says something to release this finish "mid-season" unless the market is there for it. Especially right now.
Could also have been in the works for sometime now, or the original plan could have been as it was in past raw released and been through a limited program on their site. But, instead they’ve listened to the clamor, of which I would argue forums and social media are the largest part.

Haven’t said this about a Cally wedge in a while, but I’m interested here. Once again though they cut some of the grind options which hurts me because I really enjoyed the W on the MD3. I’m sure I can easily get along with 54s and 58/60x grinds though.

Could also have been in the works for sometime now, or the original plan could have been as it was in past raw released and been through a limited program on their site. But, instead they’ve listened to the clamor, of which I would argue forums and social media are the largest part.

No doubt, which is a good thing when it comes to options. I gravitate to the darker finish to minimize glare, and can see where the raw finish absolutely helps there.

Either way I am sure these will sell for them.

I bet it got delayed a little. MD4 raw was released in April after the initial launch of those in the fall so the timeline isn’t that far off.

Im really excited that Im getting a LH option. Would love some more grind options but I will take what I can get. These will be in the bag

Im really excited that Im getting a LH option. Would love some more grind options but I will take what I can get. These will be in the bag
Thought about you when I was writing this one!

Great write up James. The MD5 Jaws is a very good wedge. These is raw migh have my name all over them

Decent selection of bounce options for what is effectively a limited/special edition release.

I didnt get along with the JAWs wedges my first go but I think that was more a shaft issue.

I'm not sure if I like the rounded look with a bit of offset that have seemed to be prevalent in the MD wedges.

Had a 52* Raw previously and really enjoyed the look, although I don't buy that it adds spin.

So.... T grind is interesting..... I see they are speaking to weight higher up to help keep the flight down.....man I like the sound of that.

Back