First Look: Callaway MD5 Raw Wedges

Had a 52* Raw previously and really enjoyed the look, although I don't buy that it adds spin.

I've read/heard conflicting reports on the spin topic.

I believe that Vosh from Miz said it adds spin, but others have said it doesn't.

My guess is, if it does anything, it does very little.

I believe that Vosh from Miz said it adds spin, but others have said it doesn't.

Vosh discusses this on our live stream. He said rust doesn’t inherently increase spin. A raw wedge has no plating therefore grooves are still at their natural form, channels may be deeper, etc.

The downfall here is that they will wear faster vs a playing.

yeah, thats my thought, it doesn't move the needle. It would be hard to test as well as your "rust" will be different than mine, and if I have a lot of range time will I knock off the rust in the ball striking area etc...

I enjoy for the look at address, definitely no glare!

Bout...damn...time...

yeah, thats my thought, it doesn't move the needle. It would be hard to test as well as your "rust" will be different than mine, and if I have a lot of range time will I knock off the rust in the ball striking area etc...

I enjoy for the look at address, definitely no glare!
It’s not about the rust, it’s about the lack of plating.

It’s not about the rust, it’s about the lack of plating.
For the Spin component? So the argument is that the "no plating" or rusted surface has a higher coefficient of friction than plating, which generates more spin.

For the Spin component? So the argument is that the "no plating" or rusted surface has a higher coefficient of friction than plating, which generates more spin.

No sir. It is about plating alters the grooves slightly so there could be a reduction. With that slight increase, could come faster wear.

Thanks for the awesome preview James. Though I haven't played them in several years, I have always been a fan of raw wedges and these look and sound incredible. The no upcharge part is also very cool.

I do need a new 54/58 later this year.. :unsure:

I like the looks of the wedges but not the raw. Options are awesome! Thanks Callaway!

Good article and write up. Good that they will offer for the diehard who want and enjoy the rust. Not for me though.

No sir. It is about plating alters the grooves slightly so there could be a reduction. With that slight increase, could come faster wear.
huh, interesting. The rules and regulation on the groves geometry remain the same, right? So is just a matter of how the plating alters the groves shape. Would you expect the same out of a milled wedge face rather than a plated carbon steel? Are there any milled wedges out there? Guess thats a fairly expensive way at getting at this question :ROFLMAO:

huh, interesting. The rules and regulation on the groves geometry remain the same, right? So is just a matter of how the plating alters the groves shape. Would you expect the same out of a milled wedge face rather than a plated carbon steel? Are there any milled wedges out there? Guess thats a fairly expensive way at getting at this question :ROFLMAO:

Personally, I don't worry about it :)
Yes, regulations remain the same.

I like this release, and enjoy the raw wedges. The last set of Callaway wedges I had was the MD2 TGour in Raw, and I really, really liked everything about those... they were forged, had a great head shape and finish, and the bounce was money for me. I still have them.

Seeing the Tour grind come back on the 58* has me really intrigued. Could these lure me back to Cally wedges? Maybe X-Grind 54* w/ T grind 58*? That could be pretty fun.

Do the manufacturers account for the plating though, by increasing the size/depth of the grooves? If not, then wouldn't it seem logical that getting more access to the full groove size/depth would increase the spin? I'm curious to know how much groove depth, size is lost to plating....?

Having said that.....I know that Ping has the hydra coating which supposedly helps retain spin in the presence of water/moisture. So....in that case, perhaps the coating is superior to a raw finish in that example?

EDIT: Sorry, seeing other posts now......ignore this one if you like. I'm not trying to go off topic here.

Do the manufacturers account for the plating though, by increasing the size/depth of the grooves? If not, then wouldn't it seem logical that getting more access to the full groove size/depth would increase the spin? I'm curious to know how much groove depth, size is lost to plating....?

Having said that.....I know that Ping has the hydra coating which supposedly helps retain spin in the presence of water/moisture. So....in that case, perhaps the coating is superior to a raw finish in that example?

EDIT: Sorry, seeing other posts now......ignore this one if you like. I'm not trying to go off topic here.

Many companies do something for grooves, Ping just happened to really market their coating. Cleveland started this trend years ago.

Love love love raw wedges! I do love the Tour Grey color though. No reason to change those out. But, maybe, just maybe, I will make the switch to the raw version.

Thanks @Jman! Great job by Callaway (as usual), listening to their customers, and also for no upcharge! I'm interested to hear more about the T Grind also, more options are always good!

Nice write up James.
I love the raw, I trust the rust, in my mind I have to think the non plating wedges will produce more spin due to slightly more open grooves, yes the downfall maybe they'll wear faster but I don't worry about that. The way manufacturers produce different clubs yearly or whatever their life cycle is, we all change clubs like underwear, sometimes its daily..
Again, its not the rust that produces the spin, its that there's no plating which can potentially create more spin with slightly more open grooves.

X grind in 54 and 56 too!? Who doesn’t need a third set of MD5 wedges...? 🤣

How much more quickly would they wear? Like many, I assumed based on things I've heard in the past, the rust would be adding friction and therefore contributing to more spin over time. It sounds like that is a flawed assumption.

I go back and forth for my love and hatred of Raw wedges, but these look fantastic. My gut tells me I will have a 56 degree in the bag at some point.

I agree. I love the way these look now. But have an MD3 still in the bag and honestly I'm not a fan of the rust.

How much more quickly would they wear? Like many, I assumed based on things I've heard in the past, the rust would be adding friction and therefore contributing to more spin over time. It sounds like that is a flawed assumption.

Totally player and even geography dependent.
For those going with the idea of more spin, does anybody need it right now with the MD5 JAWS wedges? They spin like crazy already.

Back