Player that Moves Gear?

Can I go with Vijay? He has introduced me to a number of brands, grips, etc when I was first getting into golf. He has probably moved some product more than most on Tour currently.

Clubs, no one. If tiger couldn’t do it, no one can. The collective numbers of tour pros make a difference though IMO. Titleist being able to say they are the number 1 ball on tour I think absolutely helps. TM and Cally bags being everywhere absolutely help. But a single player moving clubs? Nah

I think apparel is different.

You dont think Bryson moves equipment?
I think you could make the case Tiger sold equipment too. Not enough vs what they were wasting in terrible marketing, but I mean they went from nothing, to selling thousands of clubs because of Tiger, right?

I would say it is any player on tour that gets a good amount of screen time, coupled perhaps the visual element of the equipment. For example, the Ventus shaft graphics are quite noticeable. I think those type of visuals can lead to more sales.

Soft goods? I think rory/rickie/Koepka/Bryson move shoes and apparel.

Equipment... besides those 2, hmm.... I think Bryson has raised the awareness of one length and has moved some units, but outside of that I don't think there is 1 pro that if he has it in the bag it is selling directly because of that.

People see Taylormade/Callaway/Srixon etc and I think it raises interest but not sure how many go DJ is playing M6? I need to buy that.

I also think this is why money in those player contracts is drying up except for the very tip of the iceberg.

I buy what I like not what a particular pro wears or plays. I have my favorite pros. But, what they wear or clubs they use don't compel me to go out and emulate them.

I think you could make the case Tiger sold equipment too. Not enough vs what they were wasting in terrible marketing, but I mean they went from nothing, to selling thousands of clubs because of Tiger, right?
I guess I take the fact that Nike couldn’t be successful with it means they didn’t really “move” equipment. I know some bought for him, but some buy for various pros that are just their favorites. It’s like Rory, I’m sure SOMEONE buys clubs because of Rory, but it’s not much. Same with Bryson, no I don’t think he moves equipment. One length is some weird science experiment that some people are trying, but I think they would have tried it if anyone used it as a pro. I think that idea sells clubs, not Bryson.

I guess I take the fact that Nike couldn’t be successful with it means they didn’t really “move” equipment. I know some bought for him, but some buy for various pros that are just their favorites. It’s like Rory, I’m sure SOMEONE buys clubs because of Rory, but it’s not much. Same with Bryson, no I don’t think he moves equipment. One length is some weird science experiment that some people are trying, but I think they would have tried it if anyone used it as a pro. I think that idea sells clubs, not Bryson.

That is super interesting. The reason I disagree is because One Length was tried at multiple times and was never successful. Now here comes a quirky guy that plays well at Augusta as an amateur and has won in bunches at the PGA Tour in a really young career.

The Tiger effect is real. Everyone went out and bought Nikes when he was playing I think the VR wedges, cavity back irons, nike golf balls, even the pro combos and many tour pros used them too. He sold equipment, but I dont think anyone touches the amount he sold when he was on top.

I think Phil is responsible for a lot of callaway clubs now, but that could be less focused on play as marketing. Not on the same fleet size as tiger, but probably sells a lot of wedges.

For some reason Spieth still really does. Even though his play hasn't warranted any of that as of late.

I think Bubba does too.

Rickie Fowler is way up there.

For some reason Spieth still really does. Even though his play hasn't warranted any of that as of late.

I think Bubba does too.

Rickie Fowler is way up there.

Soo do you think clothing for spieth with Under Armour or Titleist Clubs

Soo do you think clothing for spieth with Under Armour or Titleist Clubs

personally I only think Under Armour. I always forget that he plays Titleist.

Bubba and Ping with those Pink drivers is the only thing that comes to mind quick, but I dont k how if that even counts.

Other than Tiger, can any company actually quantify the boost they get from someone putting it in the bag.

Does @Jman count with Swag??? Jk

personally I only think Under Armour. I always forget that he plays Titleist.

Point for @JB on the issue. Thought he was synonymous with the big T

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
...Titleist being able to say they are the number 1 ball on tour I think absolutely helps...
Easy for them to say when they sponsor about 90% of the pros on the Tour (I don't know if that's the actual number, but it sure seems like it). Of course your ball is the most played on Tour, you're paying them all to do so.

Easy for them to say when they sponsor about 90% of the pros on the Tour (I don't know if that's the actual number, but it sure seems like it). Of course your ball is the most played on Tour, you're paying them all to do so.
....ANNNNNDDDD each player's ball has been modified from the ones you and I can buy. unlike a certain other manufacturer that rhymes with widgebone.... where the pro's actual ball is on store shelves.

I can't really speak to anyone's motivation for equipment purchases other than my own. No one has really ever told me that they are buying a club because of a tour pro. I can only speculate based on trends that I see I suppose. Taking Tiger out of the equation, I think Rory could have been just as much of an impact on Nike's club sales as he was right before they exited the space. He was young and on fire back then. I won't lie. I ended up with a red driver at one point that I 100% blame on watching Rory hit bombs, lol.

Now, it's hard to say. I think Rory probably moves TM drivers pretty well. Bryson has to be a big needle mover in the one length movement. DJ and Day were probably responsible for some Spider Tour sales. Xander and those Apex Pros maybe (I would do almost anything to get my hands on that raw set). Maybe a few years ago, Adam Scott was selling broomstick putters :ROFLMAO:

That is super interesting. The reason I disagree is because One Length was tried at multiple times and was never successful. Now here comes a quirky guy that plays well at Augusta as an amateur and has won in bunches at the PGA Tour in a really young career.
Bryson may point to a bigger picture thing. I think when pros start using something the public picks up on it and starts buying it. That may not be brand specific though. I think that shot Spieth hit with the T-MB in the open made people notice pros using utility irons and now 4 years later everyone has bought a utility iron at least once and every manufacturer has their own tilt on the concept. Same with hybrids. They were very niche till tour pros played them and now almost everyone has them and some have 2 or 3.

Bryson may point to a bigger picture thing. I think when pros start using something the public picks up on it and starts buying it. That may not be brand specific though. I think that shot Spieth hit with the T-MB in the open made people notice pros using utility irons and now 4 years later everyone has bought a utility iron at least once and every manufacturer has their own tilt on the concept. Same with hybrids. They were very niche till tour pros played them and now almost everyone has them and some have 2 or 3.

I would actually point to Tiger using a utility in the open more than Spieth, but I get it.

Ricky. Any time that you are able to have contracts with multiple companies and be featured in a Taylormade event when you play Cobra clubs; you move gear.

About Bryson- I think what is unique is that while he does move equipment, I think to a lot of people, he sells a thought-process, a creativity, and a bit of tinkering that is in us. I play OL, although I tried it and then became familiar with him right after. But, because of him, I've tried JumboMax grips (and love them). I've also looked at other ideas of his and experimented quite a bit on my own. I don't jump on something because "it works for Bryson." But I will certainly analyze his reasoning and ideas, and then decide whether something might be useful or not to me.

I am with you on most of this (minus the JumboMax grips). I was intrigued by OL because of Bryson, but I wouldn't say that I purchased them because of him. I went that way because of reviews here, folks from MC 2019 who experienced them and then getting behind the idea of it.

Doesn’t matter why. It still helps

That’s fair. Who played them before when it wasn’t successful?

I'm not sure Bryson moves equipment. I'm not even sure Tiger, individually, moves equipment these days, except maybe Bridgestone balls. Almost all of the TM ads you see include, Tiger, Rory, DJ, Rahm etc. I think it's more of a team, approach to moving product then an individual endorser. Like Titleist and balls: The most played ball in the Open, Amateur etc.

That’s fair. Who played them before when it wasn’t successful?

A number of guys have tried them since they were first introduced as EQL decades ago

He’s still on leaderboards, featured groups and highlights so he’s still being seen......for now. 🥺

Back