Covid Pin Rip off?

SHIFTY

Orgasm Donor
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We have these pvc lifter things on our pins to lift with your putter and the ball comes out of the hole. It goes around the pin, so really makes the pin 2.5-3x as wide. And any putt with half decent speed not hitting dead center of the pin will bounce off it.

So I was on the 9th hole of my home course in Birch Hills, pin was at 194. I hit a high beautiful shot and was going right at the pin. It hits the base of the pin/hole and jumps up 10' in the air and lands 7' to the left. I hit the edge of the hole, and the ball either went in, or just rebounded off the lifter thingie. I'll never know if that device wasn't attached to the pin what would have happened. I realize it probably would have bounced out, but maybe not. Who knows... All I know is if the cups were raised, I would have smashed the cup.

This is now in my book, just like my 179 hole in one on my simulator this winter. Doesn't count. So still looking for my first one.

1591110220220.png

1591111111356.png

Attachments

• 1591110293828.png
    1591110293828.png
    524 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
interesting... are you saying you hit this?

1591110687974.png

Or the cup looks goofy and you hit the lip of it?!

either way

HIO *

interesting... are you saying you hit this?

View attachment 8947006

Or the cup looks goofy and you hit the lip of it?!

either way

HIO *
no that"s the pc to lift with if you are talking about the noticeable part, it has a pvc tube attached to it, with a round pvc pc on the bottom in the cup, you lift with your putter to lift it up and the ball comes out. I hit the base of the hole and the pvc pipe that is around the pole attached to that noticeable piece.
Fixed the picture. Wrote "hit here".

so it "doinked" off the outside edge of the cup? or ground just hard? 10' is high.

so it "doinked" off the outside edge of the cup? or ground just hard? 10' is high.
Not 100% sure, was 194 yards away, think I was the edge of cup, hit that pvc pc around the pin that makes the hole 3x as wide and bounced, or bounced out of bottom of cup off the round pvc thing at bottom of hole? Picture leads me to believe it went off pvc thing on bottom of cup. But who knows. And like I said putts with pace bounce off that thing that for sure would have dropped.

Either way, I'm not counting it, just thinking what possibly could have been,

Last edited:
Not 100% sure, was 194 yards away, think I was the edge of cup, hit that pvc pc around the pin that makes the hole 3x as wide and bounced, or bounced out of bottom of cup off the round pvc thing at bottom of hole? Picture leads me to believe it went off pvc thing on bottom of cup. But who knows. And like I said putts with pace bounce off that thing that for sure would have dropped.

Either way, I'm not counting it, just thinking what possibly could have been,

Understood - crazy to think about. I guess thats what happens when courses need a plan of action. I have to say I like the design of this and classy look. A lot of the noodles are looking pretty gross at this point. weather or something has deteriorated them rapidly.

While I don't think it would have gone in, because it's statistically improbable and just really freaking hard to do, I do not like that lifter thing making the pin wider. Not one bit. I get the reason for it, but that's going to rob more than just a hot shot from 194. The number of chips denied is going to be large.

To the best of my knowledge, the rules state that a pin must be 3/4" in diameter, so anything that alters that is probably not legal likely for these exact reasons. If your club is using these devices because of covid, well anything goes these days, but if they're using them because they think they're neat or helpful then that's probably an issue you can take up with the course manager.

Understood - crazy to think about. I guess thats what happens when courses need a plan of action. I have to say I like the design of this and classy look. A lot of the noodles are looking pretty gross at this point. weather or something has deteriorated them rapidly.
I like this way better than the noodles that we had previously.

I think I got shafted on a hole in one today. The ball hit 6” from the pin and I heard a noise/rattle. The ball spun back. The Guys on the next tee box think it bounced right into the hole but the thingie inserted into the hole caused the ball to bounce out and roll/spin back.

Im certainly not counting it as a HOI but it’s been on my mind all afternoon.
C79A469E-E24D-4C3E-98BE-2E6EF67F6930.jpeg

I have seen plenty of alternatives that use the same principle, but without widening the pin. None are ideal, but all those I’ve seen are better than that style.

Back