JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A little game of best ever, where we throw up something and you tell us if it was the best ever and either why or why not? We present a few pros and cons.

FOR IT BEING BEST
2019 Masters featured Tiger Woods return to winning a major after a long drought.
Come from behind win, where Tiger was not leading at the end of any of the first 3 rounds.
11 players with in 3 strokes of winner.
Stacked leaderboard of Tiger, DJ, Brooks, Xander, Fowler and more.
3 players with in 1 stroke of the lead

AGAINST IT BEING BEST
Tiger only took the lead when Molinari seemingly choked it away by rinsing his shot on the 12th and 15th.
Woods bogies the 18th because there wasn’t much of a chase.
All three players that finished 1 back parred the 18th.

Give us your thoughts.

Continue reading...

One of the best for sure, but not the best. I think the 97 Masters when he ran away from the field was better.

I don't have a deep library of great Masters from yesteryear, but that was a great overall event. Hovland getting top am was just a cherry on top.

I think it was one of the best for sure. I was glued to the tv set. Molinari felt the Tiger pressure of old and buckled making it even more exciting to watch.

• Admin
I think it was one of the best for sure. I was glued to the tv set. Molinari felt the Tiger pressure of old and buckled making it even more exciting to watch.

Is one of the best, the best? Or not the best? :unsure:

96 Masters for me, Faldo overturning Normans 6 shot lead for me

Have to say I did feel sad for Norman, don't think he was ever the same after that

It is not THE best. Definitely the best in recent years...but ever? I don't think so but my Masters knowledge isn't fantastic

No.

The 1986 Masters is the best ever.

• Admin
No.

The 1986 Masters is the best ever.

I think this one stands out for a lot of people, but I am always curious why? Is it because Jack won at 46 or because of the actual play? I remember watching that tournament as a kid getting close to high school and thinking about the pompous nature on 16 when his son says "be good" or "be right" and Jack says "It is". But that was Jack.

At the time it seemed like the impossible to win at his age, but more because he wasn't playing as much. After that though we had Kenny Perry who should have won a major at 48 and Tom Watson who should have won more than a decade older than that.

Tiger was not just older, he was rebuilt on an operating table. With that said, Tiger came in as a near favorite due to his Tour Championship win prior.

I think this one stands out for a lot of people, but I am always curious why? Is it because Jack won at 46 or because of the actual play? I remember watching that tournament as a kid getting close to high school and thinking about the pompous nature on 16 when his son says "be good" or "be right" and Jack says "It is". But that was Jack.

At the time it seemed like the impossible to win at his age, but more because he wasn't playing as much. After that though we had Kenny Perry who should have won a major at 48 and Tom Watson who should have won more than a decade older than that.

Tiger was not just older, he was rebuilt on an operating table. With that said, Tiger came in as a near favorite due to his Tour Championship win prior.
Because it was the greatest of all time (at that time) winning what was clearly his last, a last moment in the sun and his son on the bag made it even more special. With Tiger, it’s not a fluke or his last, he will compete for a few more years and win again, it was a return yes, but not a last hurrah. With Jack, it was like a going away celebration.

Because it was the greatest of all time (at that time) winning what was clearly his last, a last moment in the sun and his son on the bag made it even more special. With Tiger, it’s not a fluke or his last, he will compete for a few more years and win again, it was a return yes, but not a last hurrah. With Jack, it was like a going away celebration.

So if Tiger doesnt win another, this adds vintage and gets to that spot?

I think 40 years of aging has added allure to this event, because unlike Jordan, it is not as if Jack stopped playing after this, he just didn’t compete as much or as well.

I also find it funny we are talking about Jack being pompous and comparing it to Tiger who too has always been pompous.

Great story but not the best Masters ever. Everybody knows that Patrick Reed winng the green jacket in 2018 is the best ever. Hahahaha. Seriously, I think Tiger's coming out party in 1997 when he dominated the field was the best.

So if Tiger doesnt win another, this adds vintage and gets to that spot?

I think 40 years of aging has added allure to this event, because unlike Jordan, it is not as if Jack stopped playing after this, he just didn’t compete as much or as well.
Jack winning was a sheer fluke, a brilliantly special fluke. Tiger winning was a matter of the back holding up, and we know it can and he will win more.

If we are using the injury card though I’ll put Hogan in 51 up.;)

2019 will go down as one of the best Masters, but I'm thinking, in no particular order, 1986 and 1997 for ones in my lifetime. 1960 is an influential one for the early television exposure to Arnie making a last round charge and winning with birdies on 17 and 18, elevating him to superstar status.

I also find it funny we are talking about Jack being pompous and comparing it to Tiger who too has always been pompous.

I genuinely dont think anybody was talking about it other than me. Both of them are and have been. I was telling the story of watching it as a newcomer to golf getting ready for high school, not that it was a real negative.

I am just of the mindset that the only reason 86 is viewed a certain way is because it aged well, not because of any other significance other than his age. Had he ridden into the sunset, maybe I have a different view, but he placed 5th or 6th at the Masters more than a decade later.

I genuinely dont think anybody was talking about it other than me. Both of them are and have been. I was telling the story of watching it as a newcomer to golf getting ready for high school, not that it was a real negative.

I am just of the mindset that the only reason 86 is viewed a certain way is because it aged well, not because of any other significance other than his age. Had he ridden into the sunset, maybe I have a different view, but he placed 5th or 6th at the Masters more than a decade later.
But given we know Tiger is going to do the same thing, wouldn’t that too put this in the same category?

With that being the case, what do you quantify as the greatest ever? 97? Would be hard to argue.

Jack played an incredible second-nine that Sunday, Especially with the putter. The GOAT at the time who hadn't done anything in a few years and of which nothing was expected captured lightning to give everyone one last thrill. Tiger in 2019 has some similarities but not exactly. Tiger was playing very well in the year prior to the 2019 Masters. As for Jack being pompous, I've never heard anyone view him that way as a golfer. I think in interviews he has said that his response to his son on 16 was the cockiest thing he ever did in a golf round.

But given we know Tiger is going to do the same thing, wouldn’t that too put this in the same category?

With that being the case, what do you quantify as the greatest ever? 97? Would be hard to argue.

It could put it in the same category, but I guess as this becomes vintage we will know.
To me right now, I think it was 2019, only because of the battle back. I always thought for Jack, he not only had better Masters wins, but that it was only the case for 86 based on age. Had Watson not choked, would that be the best ever?

It could put it in the same category, but I guess as this becomes vintage we will know.
To me right now, I think it was 2019, only because of the battle back. I always thought for Jack, he not only had better Masters wins, but that it was only the case for 86 based on age. Had Watson not choked, would that be the best ever?
That’s the subjectivity of all this though, had Mollinari not choked, would this be the best ever?

I enjoy these topics, because there is no one correct answer.

That’s the subjectivity of all this though, had Mollinari not choked, would this be the best ever?

I enjoy these topics, because there is no one correct answer.

I think that is the million dollar question, because FM, definitely choked.

I think that is the million dollar question, because FM, definitely choked.
If we are looking at only the best performance ever, then it's 1997. If we are looking at the best overall Masters based on compelling story, 1997 and 1986 would both have it over 2019 for me.

As for choking in 2019, 4 out of the 5 leaders put it in the creek on 12. The one who didn't- Tiger. Maybe you can say all the others choked, but I would credit Tiger for being the one who didn't.

It's my favorite for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. I am a huge Tiger fan and it was awesome watching him get it done. The shot on 16 was one for the ages.

The 2019 Masters was the best I'd ever seen. Everything leading up to it, everything during it, and the collective world wondering "Will he win this?" was more than enough to qualify in my mind.

Back