Greatest American Rock Band?

REM
Lynyrd.
ZzTop
Metallica
Nirvana

America wasn't known for its great bans...tthat was England.

We were known for our solo artists.

Prince
Elvis
MJ
Jimi

And you could go on an on...

Best American band? Unfortunately, I'd probably give it to Metallica.

TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS!

I think it’s gotta be The Eagles. Regardless of personal opinion they’re the most decorated and listened to

Eagles
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Silver Bullet Band
Heartbreakers
Credence Clearwater Revival
Santana
Crosby. Stills & Nash
Chicago

Doobie Brothers

There is no way I can pick a "best"

There are at least another dozen that I skipped over.

100%, take the Stones any day in the Beetle/Stones debate, and I would put Nirvana and REM as 1b and 1c on that overrated list.

100%, take the Stones any day in the Beetle/Stones debate, and I would put Nirvana and REM as 1b and 1c on that overrated list.
Well, the Stones and Beatles aren’t American.....

I would say the band is in this bucket:

Lynard Skynard
Allman Brothers
CCR
The Doors
Metallica
Van Halen
GNR
Tom Petty
The Foo Fighters

I like this list. Probably striking GNR for a relatively brief relevant existence. It was a rocket ship for sure...

Gotta add the Eagles.

Not really saying who is the greatest. Though I have said the Foo Fighters have to be the best of the last 25 years. Just so dang solid...

Last edited:
The ine that is hard to ignore is guns and roses. They had maybe the greatest ever first album of all time. Now. They were a holes for sure. But samn that album screamed, “turn it up”. Then there is motley crue. Tom petty. Ccr. Doobie bros. Nirvana. Metallica. So many good bands. Different times for many. Almost need to date stamp the periods. And lets not forget the eagles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get a kick out of so little love for Aerosmith. Take their first four albums, Aerosmith, Get Your Wings, Toys in the Attic, and Rocks, those four alone are more good music than most bands can put out in an entire career. Lots of ups and downs since then though, so I get it to some degree.

Well, the Stones and Beatles aren’t American.....
You are correct. There was supposed to have been a quote in there from snowman about the Beatles being overrated. I'm just a potato today and suckage at the internet is my game. Carry on.

You are correct. There was supposed to have been a quote in there from snowman about the Beatles being overrated. I'm just a potato today and suckage at the internet is my game. Carry on.
Haha! All good dude.

I think a thread on overrated bands would be fun...and crazy. Ha!

For me it'd be Chicago (the early days)

You also have to consider:

The Eagles
The Beach Boys
Aerosmith (as much as that pains me)
The Grateful Dead

Going a bit more modern day I'd have to say:
Metallica

I like this list. Probably striking GNR for a relatively brief relevant existence. It was a rocket ship for sure...

Gotta add the Eagles.

Not really saying who is the greatest. Though I have said the Foo Fighters have to be the best of the last 25 years. Just so dang solid...
I probably would have to include the Eagles. I wouldn't pick them, but they are beloved by many.

Note, while they're definitely not my favorite, I don't actually hate the Eagles. And I don't think you should rank them ahead of Petty, Springsteen, or Aerosmith. But all the Eagles love in here made me think of this.

Rush
The Hip
The Band
Blue Rodeo
Our Lady Peace
With honourable mention to Half Moon Run, Arcade Fire & City and Colour (Band type name so I say it counts:))

OOPS, wrong country;-)

Too many to name
Led Zeppelin
Beatles
Rush
Scorpions
Queen
Iron Maiden
Def Leppard

Rush
The Hip
The Band
Blue Rodeo
Our Lady Peace
With honourable mention to Half Moon Run, Arcade Fire & City and Colour (Band type name so I say it counts:))
OOPS, wrong country;-)

You provided us with Bieber, which cancels out any of the great musical artists that were from Canada.

Too many to name
Led Zeppelin
Beatles
Rush
Scorpions
Queen
Iron Maiden
Def Leppard
None of those are American....

Rush
The Hip
The Band
Blue Rodeo
Our Lady Peace

OOPS, wrong country;-)
The Band is maybe my favorite band of all time, any country.

My apologies... I am coming to this thread late and have not read through it in its entirety. What is the definition of “greatest?” If it is an objective standard, such as most album sales, it has to be the Eagles.

If it is subjective, I have a hard time deciding between Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and The Eagles.

Back