Is Bubba Watson a Hall of Famer?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Bubba Watson was one hot golfer a few years ago. Racking up multiple wins over the span of a few years that included two majors.

Winning the Masters twice were certainly the highlight, but he also has 16 wins total on the PGA and Euro Tours combined.

Does that put him in the Hall of Fame in your opinion?

Continue reading...

If I was voting. He is a cusp'er that is currently just outside the mark. One more major and he is in. Or if he gets to 20 wins. Something like that.

Bubba belongs in the World Golf Hall of Fame. I'd say induct him and John Daly the same year!

Cusper but intangibles on his side. If it weren't for a certain tiger chip, his approach on 18 at Augusta from the trees might be the pro shot I most vividly remember.

From their website, under Criteria & Process

Male Competitor
A player must have a cumulative total of 15 or more official victories on any of the original members of the International Federation of PGA Tours (PGA TOUR, European Tour, Japan Golf Tour, Sunshine Tour, Asian Tour and PGA of Australasia) OR at least two victories among the following events: The Masters, THE PLAYERS Championship, the U.S. Open, The Open Championship and the PGA Championship.

A player must be at least 45 years old during the year of a given Induction Ceremony (example: A player be at least 45 years old in 2021 in order to qualify for the Class of 2021), or be at least three years removed from being an active participant (as determined by the Tour) on any of the original members of the International Federation of PGA Tours.

So, it seems, yes.

Cusper but intangibles on his side. If it weren't for a certain tiger chip, his approach on 18 at Augusta from the trees might be the pro shot I most vividly remember.

oh man that bendy shot was a thing of beauty!

If I was voting. He is a cusp'er that is currently just outside the mark. One more major and he is in. Or if he gets to 20 wins. Something like that.
This is basically exactly how i feel. He will be a hall of famer when it's all said and done i think.

• Admin

Male Competitor
A player must have a cumulative total of 15 or more official victories on any of the original members of the International Federation of PGA Tours (PGA TOUR, European Tour, Japan Golf Tour, Sunshine Tour, Asian Tour and PGA of Australasia) OR at least two victories among the following events: The Masters, THE PLAYERS Championship, the U.S. Open, The Open Championship and the PGA Championship.

A player must be at least 45 years old during the year of a given Induction Ceremony (example: A player be at least 45 years old in 2021 in order to qualify for the Class of 2021), or be at least three years removed from being an active participant (as determined by the Tour) on any of the original members of the International Federation of PGA Tours.

So, it seems, yes.

Yes, I know its a semi auto bid, this was more of an opinion. Kind of like how Couples is in, but most think he shouldn't be.

Male Competitor

So, it seems, yes.

That is just the criteria to be considered correct? It is not really a check box thing and your in deal. Or at least it shouldn't be.

That is just the criteria to be considered correct? It is not really a check box thing and your in deal. Or at least it shouldn't be.
Correct. However, if he meets the criteria - and he meets it very well - what would be the argument for him not being in there?

I don't think of Bubba as a hall of famer. But another major and a few more wins and it's hard not to put him in that bottom tier.

Correct. However, if he meets the criteria - and he meets it very well - what would be the argument for him not being in there?

He is left handed??? :unsure: Haha. I guess my biggest contention is that it almost seems too easy to get it. The criteria should be tougher.

I've seen the one on #10, but was there another shot on #18?

Right now I consider Bubba eligible for the "Hall of Very Good". Not quite there yet. If he adds another major or two or a few more tour wins I think he would definitely deserve to be in.

No, solely on dislike.

I think Bubba is on the fence, but on the right side of it getting into the HOF. The two Masters is mighty impressive and I can see him winning more tournaments as well. Is he one of the top HOFers? No. But still someone who deserves it.

For sure. He is really good on 5 or 6 courses and mediocre everywhere else. Lucky for him Augusta National is one of those courses he is really good at.

Yes, if Fred Couples is in the hall of fame than Bubba is a no doubter.

He's probably in, but I think he is a tweener guy right now.

I think he has to sneak in, yeah. I was ready to say no because he hasn't done much lately but that isn't the criteria. He has turned his image into something I can stand and he has a hall of fame worthy game.

Initial reaction, heck no! Looking at the stats...maybe an outside chance IF he wins another major

He'll be in. They let pretty much everyone in. Two Masters will do it. Angel Cabrera will probably even make it.

My initial reaction was no. He is a lock for the Hall of Good but I don't consider him to be a Hall of Fame contender. I think I have a higher standard than most HOF voters in all sports though so I imagine he'll be in.

Back