Review Bushnell Tour V5 Laser Rangefinder Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Each year more distance measuring devices come to market with promises of new features to make life easier on the course. For the most part they work as intended, but is an upgrade worth the price of admission?

This year Bushnell introduced the Tour V5 and Tour V5 Shift models, the latest in the long line of Tour V range finders that many consider the go to for distance measuring. The difference between the two is largely based on if you would like Slope Technology or not, which the Shift model has.

1-6-1024x484.jpg

The Shift has a new enhanced algorithm to get a “True Play As Distance”. A bit confusing because it does make you wonder if the new algorithm is enhanced, was the previous version many have...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Another solid review JB.

Question: is the BITE strong enough to make you feel comfortable to be rolling around a golf course with a $300 ($450 CDN) device stuck on a 1" square metal pole or was it always in the back of your mind?

• Admin
Another solid review JB.

Question: is the BITE strong enough to make you feel comfortable to be rolling around a golf course with a $300 ($450 CDN) device stuck on a 1" square metal pole or was it always in the back of your mind?

Did you read it all the way through? I discussed our single issue with it in there :ROFLMAO:

In my opinion, the Precision Pro magnet is stronger, but I have no scientific data to back that up. One has fallen off, the other hasn't.

Poor battery after 10 rounds? What type of battery is in this?

Nevermind, I see on the website its a cr2 battery. That's what I have in my old v2.

But does it come with batteries for life?

• Admin
Thanks for the review.

I like Bushnell and feel like you can trust their products, but at this point they are not the go to in the market anymore with other quality options out there. If I played on courses with consistent elevation challenges, I would consider this one, but Precision Pro makes a great option that many have liked.

I will say I have a Bushnell Excel watch and now that they have fixed the app issues, I have found my need for a handheld rangefinder less and less.

Also @JB I'm glad the V5 didnt find its way into the water after falling off. That would have really upset me given BITE is being marketed so heavily.

• Admin
Also @JB I'm glad the V5 didnt find its way into the water after falling off. That would have really upset me given BITE is being marketed so heavily.

And you have driven over that exact bridge. Hammock Beach Conservatory 18th coming to club house. Bounce Bounce Bounce and sat right on the edge.

Improved optics. That would help me. No interest in BITE. I see that as a gimmick, not a feature. Is it really so hard to grab off a cart shelf? Would be much harder to pull it out of a creek when it bumped off. 🙃Slope is handy around here where nothing is flat. But 10 rounds dead battery, ugh.

Did you read it all the way through? I discussed our single issue with it in there :ROFLMAO:

In my opinion, the Precision Pro magnet is stronger, but I have no scientific data to back that up. One has fallen off, the other hasn't.
That answers my question. I found the Precision Pro Magnet to be stronger than the one on the Pro XE as well so I was curious. It’s a nice to have but after a snafoo with the Pro XE sliding down the rail and falling, I never felt comfortable enough to leave it on the cart rails while navigating the course.
Otherwise, the device sounds stellar. Good to know the optics are brighter and sharper as they were already quite good.

How does Bushnell say this one compares to my Pro XE?
The bite on my Pro XE has also failed once, and now I can never use it again.

Glad to see the most popular rangefinder is trying to compete with the best range finder! I guess I will have to hit up the forum to hear more about the visuals and comparison to NX9. side note/nit picky comment - Not sure a y/m separate button is needed as most people rarely toggle that US Yards - elsewhere meters...

It only takes one time and it’s over.

one aspect that im interested in as a comparison measure is the display and rangefinder view point. Is brightness and visual upgrade outshining NX9? Huge difference or marginally?

Improved optics. That would help me. No interest in BITE. I see that as a gimmick, not a feature. Is it really so hard to grab off a cart shelf? Would be much harder to pull it out of a creek when it bumped off. 🙃Slope is handy around here where nothing is flat. But 10 rounds dead battery, ugh.
I know I thought the magnet on another rangefinder would be a gimmick, but man it has changed the way you play... just place it on the roof bars grab and go and replace when grabbing a club... I am a little OCD and have to check its still there often.

They don't. In my opinion the Pro line is always their top line and the Tour V line is always secondary. In this instance, there appears to be some major overlap and the Tour V line has a bit more to offer.

I can’t think of a single reason to upgrade a laser unless your earlier one died. Cool new gadget but I wonder why in the world the app is needed. Seems like more fiddling when you already have the laser number. But if I needed a laser, this seems cool if the battery issue is actually anomaly

I can’t think of a single reason to upgrade a laser unless your earlier one died. Cool new gadget but I wonder why in the world the app is needed. Seems like more fiddling when you already have the laser number. But if I needed a laser, this seems cool if the battery issue is actually anomaly

The App is pretty cool, especially when playing a new course. For instance dog leg holes, where you can't laser a sight line, will give you an overhead and flyover.

The App is pretty cool, especially when playing a new course. For instance dog leg holes, where you can't laser a sight line, will give you an overhead and flyover.
Could be great for people who don’t use an app already. Good point - I was applying it to my game, not others.

And you have driven over that exact bridge. Hammock Beach Conservatory 18th coming to club house. Bounce Bounce Bounce and sat right on the edge.

Oh damn, yeah that would have been a goner for sure. Also super jealous you have the Conservatory so close to play. Love that course.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB

As @JB mentioned, when playing a new course or just trying to get an angle the range finder might not give a clear number for you, it works great. I use it a lot to figure out distances to a hazard or the carry of the hazard.

While this is probably a great rangefinder, I don't see it as a positive upgrade. That is the one positive about rangefinders, they will last a long time.

I found myself in need of a new rangefinder earlier this year, but got a secondhand one for free. If I find myself back in the market I’m all-in on the shift, but that magnet is scary! After losing my last one, my rangefinder lives in its case every second I’m not using it.

After using a friend's Bushnell last year, I keep wondering if I'd like one more than my Leupold. Ponder mode engaged.

Back