Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls and Baller Box

They just won the US Open too. First major in over 10 years. Woodland doesn't move any needles. It's just pretty hard to compete with the big guns when the big guns are grabbing all the talent.
He can't move a needle if he's not asked to. I think he's a good guy. His relationship with Amy was really special. But he was made invisible too.
They had a great social media thing going until Corey left for FJ.

He can't move a needle if he's not asked to. I think he's a good guy. His relationship with Amy was really special. But he was made invisible too.

FWIW Corey didn’t leave for FJ. He left a long time ago and was working from another state in the interim while he looked for a job.

An issue I find is that this isn't a golf company. They have WAY bigger names in sports using their gear outside of golf. Golf is something they do but it hardly defines them so the way the golf product is pushed on us is meh at best. They are top dogs in Baseball and Tennis equipment... golf is just another thing they do IMO.

An issue I find is that this isn't a golf company. They have WAY bigger names in sports using their gear outside of golf. Golf is something they do but it hardly defines them so the way the golf product is pushed on us is meh at best. They are top dogs in Baseball and Tennis equipment... golf is just another thing they do IMO.

Could be. I mean you could say the same about Mizuno, Cobra and a few others too though.
Each of these have separate golf departments and people though.

Could be. I mean you could say the same about Mizuno, Cobra and a few others too though.
Each of these have separate golf departments and people though.

I feel the same way with Mizuno definitely. Cobra not as much but if they are I'm just not seeing it out there outside of golf. (cobra name over puma)

It’s funny but I think of Mizuno as a serious golf brand. I know they do many sports and are good at all of them. WIlson is too in fairness to them. But it just seems different.

While they do have a PR agency for outside golf media, they have marketing and communications in house.
We have held multiple events with them and the President of the company and THPers have always had a great time.

With that said, this community at least has been pretty vocal about the last year or so at Wilson Staff.
@JB thanks for shattering my completely unrealistic preconceived notions on how marketing works.:ROFLMAO: I've spent hours, and days, weeks even parked in front of television and movies learning the dark arts of how advertising agencies work and what lengths they go to all trying to ensure they keep their clients happy and have successful advertising campaigns.:LOL::LOL: Otherwise it's so easly to lose the account.:D

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Yeah I would say that is fair. I was looking for something to stand out. It didn’t in either a good or bad way.
Wondered if anyone had played a round with these. I'm curious since it seems Wilson might becreating a STAFF line up with the proto driver, irons,wedge, ball and who knows what else.

Wondered if anyone had played a round with these. I'm curious since it seems Wilson might becreating a STAFF line up with the proto driver, irons,wedge, ball and who knows what else.

I mean they kind of already do, right?
Everything but metal woods in the Staff Model model family currently.
I have used it for short game practice only. It reminds me a lot of the DUO Pro in that regard.

I have used it for short game practice only. It reminds me a lot of the DUO Pro in that regard.

That staff lineup has to be a tough sell considering the guy wearing the Wilson hat is only using Wilson irons. Wilson headcovers masking the driver/fairways and not a wilson ball.

Then again does it matter? I don't know Gary as a product mover.

That staff lineup has to be a tough sell considering the guy wearing the Wilson hat is only using Wilson irons. Wilson headcovers masking the driver/fairways and not a wilson ball.

Then again does it matter? I don't know Gary as a product mover.

Im not sure. For the avid golfer, I am not sure it matters, outside of validation.
To use a parallel, most golfers wouldn't ignore Mizuno clubs, because the guys playing them on tour, only use the irons, right?

Never viewed Wilson as a top of the line ball. Would rather buy Titleist, Bridgestone or Callaway - at a cheaper price to boot.

A ball subscription service is interesting in a negative way. Does Wilson expect us to lose a lot of balls per month that we have to restock?

Also, take out the extra plastic and reduce the size of the box (more environmentally friendly), and pass those savings on to the golfer. If you can convince me its a better ball than those 3 manufacturers above, and at a cheaper price, then I would be interested. Until then, the only Wilson's I play are those I find in the woods, and save them for over water tee-shots - so I don't lose my good ones.

Wilson - convince me otherwise. Showoff (environmentally unfriendly) packaging and a higher price just isn't going to cut it for me.

Yep, They pretty much have a STAFF line completed. I imagine they are executing this to separate those who see Wilson soley as a big box brand. But they leave it to the consumer to figure out the difference. You can't built the line and forget to makret. Even with THP'ers it seems to be confusing.
I think the model they should follow is right there in Chicago with TE/Exoctics. That company is disruptive in a good way.

Wondered if anyone has actually played a round with this thing. I seems like the DTC idea was half thought out but now because of their going DTC retail shops don’t want it.a North Carolina shop told me that today. Then, it’s supposed to be tour quality but non of their pros play it.

Wondered if anyone has actually played a round with this thing. I seems like the DTC idea was half thought out but now because of their going DTC retail shops don’t want it.a North Carolina shop told me that today. Then, it’s supposed to be tour quality but non of their pros play it.

I played 3 holes with one on Monday. It was fine. I still think it reminds me an awful lot of the Professional.

I played 3 holes with one on Monday. It was fine. I still think it reminds me an awful lot of the Professional.
Suits me! I bought a dozen Duo Professionals in the lovely town of Burlington NC

That sounds like a less than rave review. I don’t recall the Professional as standing out from the course in too many meaningful ways. Solid but in a crowded pack.

That sounds like a less than rave review. I don’t recall the Professional as standing out from the course in too many meaningful ways. Solid but in a crowded pack.

Im hopeful to get more time with it In the coming weeks.

Bumping this out of curiosity. I looked at the reviews for the ball on the W/S site and people raved about it. I have never seen one.
Do comapnies drop positive reviews into their own sites or did actual people play this thing.

Bumping this out of curiosity. I looked at the reviews for the ball on the W/S site and people raved about it. I have never seen one.
Do comapnies drop positive reviews into their own sites or did actual people play this thing.

I can’t answer that. Only Wilson would know that. I can say I would be pretty surprised if they’ve sold a ton of these. Despite the ball being decent

Totally agree on your second point. I didn’t mean to just pick on WIlson with my question. I think of that often with product reviews.

I don't see many Wilson balls in general. They don't really carry them locally outside of a select few at Walmart and such.

I'm curious if they're holding up to their premium price. I don't see myself spending that kind of scratch on an unknown. But, am always willing to go out on a limb if there's some buzz. Anybody get these in play much over the past few months?

I don't see many Wilson balls in general. They don't really carry them locally outside of a select few at Walmart and such.

I'm curious if they're holding up to their premium price. I don't see myself spending that kind of scratch on an unknown. But, am always willing to go out on a limb if there's some buzz. Anybody get these in play much over the past few months?

Im going to force ask @JDax to play them next round.

Send me some I'll play they. I play Wilson balls on occasion.
It's funny i find a Decent amount of Wilson balls in my area.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back