Sell me on Spikeless Shoes

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I bought a pair of spikeless FJ shoes about 5 years ago and I felt as if I were playing golf on an ice rink, especially on wet turf. Since then I have been pretty put off. Now, amidst brands like Puma releasing some really bad ass kicks without a spiked option (why? why? WHY?) I am inclined to once again look at spikless shoes.

Can you sell me on them? How will they be different than my previous shoes?

In my experience spikeless shoes are more comfortable and offer plenty of traction assuming it’s not wet. When it’s wet I wear spikes. Plus they look great!

Love my Puma Ignite NXT Disc shoes!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
09f8dbe8acb76e4e7aa7c2854e5ac2b3.jpg

Granted I took off 13 years, but I haven't used spikes for 20 years and haven't noticed any difference. It was forced on me as my former club went spikeless. no worries about slipping unless the bottoms get very old and it's wet.

My pumas are the comfortable shoes I own. I walk in them a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will sell you by saying continue wearing spikes when it's wet. The spikeless Pumas you're talking about are outstanding in dry conditions

I’m all-in on spikeless and only just recently switched in December ;)

But seriously. Keep spikes on those wet days or when you’re few sweeping. Otherwise, the spikeless Cuaters moneymakers are just as stable as any spikes I’ve owned

I’m all-in on spikeless and only just recently switched in December ;)

But seriously. Keep spikes on those wet days or when you’re few sweeping. Otherwise, the spikeless Cuaters moneymakers are just as stable as any spikes I’ve owned
I tend to sweep a lot of dew.

I wouldn't do that to you. What you are asking is way too general. Some spikeless shoes have excellent grab and longevity compared to standard soft spiked shoes. A few years ago I exclusively wore FootJoy's M-Project spikeless model. That was a GREAT shoe for me. They were super comfortable and while I play about 70 rounds a year, almost exclusively walk and carry, and practice 2-3 times a week, it was a year to a year and a half before the soles wore down to where I had to retire them from play. But I would never broaden that to the whole category of spikeless shoes. Frankly, I haven't found another spikeless shoe that holds a candle to the M-Project.

I wouldn't do that to you. What you are asking is way too general. Some spikeless shoes have excellent grab and longevity compared to standard soft spiked shoes. A few years ago I exclusively wore FootJoy's M-Project spikeless model. That was a GREAT shoe for me. They were super comfortable and while I play about 70 rounds a year, almost exclusively walk and carry, and practice 2-3 times a week, it was a year to a year and a half before the soles wore down to where I had to retire them from play. But I would never broaden that to the whole category of spikeless shoes. Frankly, I haven't found another spikeless shoe that holds a candle to the M-Project.
I have the same opinion as you...too many variables here.

If you do not have an overly active feet during your swing (and its not really wet/slick), spikeless should be just fine. I use a narrow stance and don't shift my feet much, so spikeless work for me in all conditions. Super comfortable, look great, provide traction and grip, and don't tear up greens...what more could you want?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I loved the M Project shoes also - had two pair of them and wore them until they were completely shot. If they still made them, I'd probably still be wearing them. The only ones I've found that come close in comfort and grip are True Linkswear.

How good spikeless are (or aren't) probably largely comes down to how active you are with your feet and what kind of courses you mostly play. I don't have terribly active feet in the swing and I play mostly desert courses, so don't play in the wet much except for morning dew/course irrigation leftovers. For me, spikeless are great - plenty of grip, never have a problem with slippage, they're more comfortable than spikes and I don't have to screw around with changing spikes when they wear out. For others playing in different conditions, they may be disastrous.

Last edited:
I was NOT a fan of spikeless shoes until I met the Adidas CodeChaos. I’ve tried both the knitted PrimeBlue and regular versions. The PrimeBlue are great for a quick practice or everyday wear (which is what I wear mine for now). The regular version are more robust and keep your feet in place quite nicely. I just walked 15 km (9.3 mi) in mine tonight and my feet feel great!

On course, they have plenty of grip for me and I don’t feel like I’m swinging on ice or in slick muck.

I very much appreciate how my feet feel after a round wearing these compared to my other UA Spieth model. The CodeChaos are a lot more flexible so I don’t feel so constrained at the end of a round.

I literally just bought two more pair since I found them on sale and I like them that much.

I’d say stick to spikes. I do love how comfy spikeless are and used to wear them all the time. Now I only have 1 pair of spikeless and 6 pairs spiked

most of my rounds are early morning where dew is a big problem usually through the front 9. When I wore spikeless I constantly slipped. Never ever have that problem now with spikes

i will say spikeless are great for practice. hit a bucket or walk 9 after work. Also in the colder months when the grass is closed, i prefer spikeless on a mat at the range

Spikeless should be your nice day summer shoes. They are awesome in dry weather, but I always wear spikes when it's wet. Spikeless however are far more comfortable, especially for walking. Also when you wear out a pair of spikeless shoes they make for some killer lawn mowing shoes. The little extra bit of traction is perfect.

I have a pair of Puma spikeless coming any day now. I currently wear Ignites with spikes. I dont feel like the spikes help me that much so I want to see how spikeless feels. I am pretty sure I will like the comfort. Plus I hit a lot of range balls and I dont need the hassle of changing shoes at the range parking lot.

As others have said, trial and error to find what works best for you. I wasn’t a fan of spikeless when they first came out. Most of my rounds were early morning dew covered courses and it was like hitting off a slip and slide barefoot.

In my current stable of golf shoes, eight are spikeless (two with spikes). I just picked up a pair of Puma Ignites. They’re like wearing slippers on your feet. So darn comfortable. Was a little Leary about their moonscape soles, but figured these would be summer condition shoes as I’m not sure they’re waterproof. They’ve been great on dry conditions.

I have two pair of Walter Hagen (from Dicks for like $29) that really fit my feet well and are surprisingly stable and dry in the muck and mire rainy/muddy golf of this past spring. Hard to go wrong at that price.

There’s always room for another pair in the closet. Wife says I’m becoming worse that she is when it comes to (golf) shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spikeless shoes are more comfortable and grip just as well IMO. Just must have tried the wrong pair 5 years ago. Haha

I have a pair of Puma Ignite NXT Disc spikeless shoes that I wear to the range or if it is dry
Then I have a pair of the PWRADAPT Caged Disc spiked shoes for when it isn't dry

If you play mainly in dry conditions then spikeless should be fine, but if you play in damp conditions then I would always suggest spikes

Here is another Puma Ignite Disc spike less shoe wearer.

The comfort level while I am playing has been fantastic. I have had many spiked shoes that would seriously leave my feet aching after the round. With these spike less shoes, I can actually wear them on the way to the course, the entire round, and on the way home, and not have tired feet at all. They feel like I am wearing my sneakers.

As for playing and keeping my feet stable, I give them a solid 8 out of 10. I generally don’t play in rain, but sure the ground could be wet on an early morning round. These shoes will hold the ground in dry conditions just as any spike shoe I have worn. When it’s a bit wet they are good not great as a spiked shoe. The morning dew is fine and I don’t feel my feet slip at all.

With all the colors available, you are sure to find a pair that fits your look. I recommend these.

I have a pair of Puma Ignite NXT Disc spikeless shoes that I wear to the range or if it is dry
Then I have a pair of the PWRADAPT Caged Disc spiked shoes for when it isn't dry

If you play mainly in dry conditions then spikeless should be fine, but if you play in damp conditions then I would always suggest spikes
This is the answer. I do the same, really dry then I'm okay wearing my spikeless shoes, but any moisture or a chance of rain in the forecast and the spikes are in play. Even walking I will wear spikes without issue.
It only takes slipping one time and you will not go back to spikeless.

The easiest way to sell them is to tell you they are way way better. That said, I do love in California, so I guess it depends on what conditions you play in. Personally, I’ve been playing spineless for the last 7 years and will never buy a pair of spikes again.

Back