PODCAST Off Course: Episode 10: Distance on Tour

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show including discussing the distance on tour, how Bryson is breaking golf and a ton more. Hosted by Dan Edwards and Rob Miller, each Friday the hosts give you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before.

Episode 9 is here and Rob and Dan discuss the following topics.

Bryson Breaks Golf
Distance on Tour
Rapid Fire Madness: Taking THPer Questions
And a whole lot more…

As with all podcasts on the THP Radio Network you can catch the episodes a number of ways. Right here on the website, on our Soundcloud channel, and of course our THP Golf Mobile App. You can also subscribe at iTunes and Google Play so you never miss an episode.

Continue reading...

I loved this show.
Shade on Jack.
Distance debate.
THPer questions including mine.

So good.

Great episode fellas! @HipCheck why on earth would you want to use wound balls? Ugh I think @golfunfiltered has started to rub off on you. :LOL:

Great episode fellas! @HipCheck why on earth would you want to use wound balls? Ugh I think @golfunfiltered has started to rub off on you. :LOL:

I know, right? The two of them can head out with their Sunday Bags, play 7 clubs and wound balatas and carry around signs that say "Woke" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I ate some really bad Chiptole last night. Then I wake up to @jdtox quoting me about distance. This is gonna be a rough Friday.

Bryson moving back on the range just to hit driver is testament, ONCE AGAIN, that the ball goes too far.

Bryson moving back on the range just to hit driver is testament, ONCE AGAIN, that the ball goes too far.

Wouldn't everybody moving back on the range be a testament to that? I mean was anybody complaining about the ball when Jamie Sadlowski was playing random tour events?

Or is it that Bryson is different, not part of the hipster crowd and therefore we need to penalize him?

This reminds me so much of the putter change. Everybody can use it, but then a few win with it and NOOOOOO, we must not allow that.

The range at Harbour Town is 275 to the net. #raisethenet

Wouldn't everybody moving back on the range be a testament to that? I mean was anybody complaining about the ball when Jamie Sadlowski was playing random tour events?

Or is it that Bryson is different, not part of the hipster crowd and therefore we need to penalize him?

This reminds me so much of the putter change. Everybody can use it, but then a few win with it and NOOOOOO, we must not allow that.
Neither of those things. It's that the game has changed to favor distance, establishing it as one of the most important "skills" on TOUR.

#changetheball

Make everyone play the same ball.

Would lead to some fun club tournaments with neutered "pro" balls.

Last edited:

Neither of those things. It's that the game has changed to favor distance, establishing it as one of the most important "skills" on TOUR.

Stats can be played a bit for narrative.
Look at the dominance of Jack Nicklaus. He was in the top 10 in distance in 1980 and won 2 majors.
Tiger Woods , one of the longest on tour during his dominant run including 1997 when he was 2nd I believe and 2000 when it was a year for the ages.

Now all of the sudden, distance is a major issue? The problem that exists is not a distance problem, the best have always been there. The problem now is that they don't need distance and accuracy combined. Fix the accuracy issues and the problem goes away.

Stats can be played a bit for narrative.
Look at the dominance of Jack Nicklaus. He was in the top 10 in distance in 1980 and won 2 majors.
Tiger Woods , one of the longest on tour during his dominant run including 1997 when he was 2nd I believe and 2000 when it was a year for the ages.

Now all of the sudden, distance is a major issue? The problem that exists is not a distance problem, the best have always been there. The problem now is that they don't need distance and accuracy combined. Fix the accuracy issues and the problem goes away.
We agree on the accuracy + distance combo thing. Hit the ball as far as possible and accuracy doesn’t matter off the tee as much.

We agree on the accuracy + distance combo thing. Hit the ball as far as possible and accuracy doesn’t matter off the tee as much.

The solution is actually very simple, but they don't want to hear it.
Limit club length at the top level.
Cut the grass a bit differently adding 1" of rough and eliminating 50 30-50 yards of role. Make bunkers more penal than they are.

All of those things are easy and do not impact manufacturers continuing to create.
Oh yeah, eliminate par 5

Ive only gotten to the bryson talk so far.... have to say, put me in the GU/Rob camp of change the ball.

I dont think either of them are saying playing wound balls haha, but make the ball spin again. Make the players have to control that spin. I mean, you force them to play spinnier (that doesn't look right but spelling be damned), i doubt they go all hulk on the ball and take those aggressive lines.

The solution is actually very simple, but they don't want to hear it.
Limit club length at the top level.
Cut the grass a bit differently adding 1" of rough and eliminating 50 30-50 yards of role. Make bunkers more penal than they are.

All of those things are easy and do not impact manufacturers continuing to create.
Oh yeah, eliminate par 5

I think these are changes that need to be made as well. Make fairways longer, make the rough a little longer (I don't want to see major type rough every week either), Oh and for sure get rid of par 5s unless they are legit 580+ yards

Interestingly, Bryson is the longest.. He is also the straightest.

I am not sure what the correct answer is. But, I dont like the idea of the PGA turning into circus golf. I used to play a lot of table tennis and to slow that game down, they changed to a larger ball. Maybe that is the simple answer.

I read an article yesterday talking about how the math doesn't add up when people make claims of wanting a distance limiting ball (80%).
Your longest hitter on tour now hits the ball 260, and the shortest more like 230 or less.

I'd probably stop watching tour golf hahaha

I read an article yesterday talking about how the math doesn't add up when people make claims of wanting a distance limiting ball (80%).
Your longest hitter on tour now hits the ball 260, and the shortest more like 230 or less.

The 20% number is ridiculous. But that is the number they are shooting for..

Do you think Jack realizes how much less land he has to develop without reducing rates to create a course that is shorter?

Back