PODCAST Off Course: Episode 10: Distance on Tour

shorter holes = quicker pace of play. 🤔

Do you think Jack realizes how much less land he has to develop without reducing rates to create a course that is shorter?

As I understand it and I could be WAY off. Jack is an architect. He charges essentially a flat fee to work with him. He is not a builder so he really does not care what land is or how it is developed.

I think a big part of the issue is the land developers want big courses. That means more houses on the course.

The 20% number is ridiculous. But that is the number they are shooting for..
I think that's how it works... People always go with the extreme (or assume the extreme with a change).

I think that's how it works... People always go with the extreme (or assume the extreme with a change).

Could you imagine? Bryson does all this work to gain a competitive edge. Only to have it legislated away in the interest of "We old farts don't like how you play our game".

Neither of those things. It's that the game has changed to favor distance, establishing it as one of the most important "skills" on TOUR.

The game has always favored the longest players. With the best player of each generation being one of the longest if not longest at that time. This generation is nothing different. The only thing that has changed is some sentimental belief in clutching to the past, old courses, etc. There is no way to reel distance in at this point. There is to much tech and understanding of what it takes to create distance. Sure a limited flight ball will slow things down for the short term. But engineers, launch monitior gurus, and players will overcome that riddle and we will be having this same discussion again.

Could you imagine? Bryson does all this work to gain a competitive edge. Only to have it legislated away in the interest of "We old farts don't like how you play our game".

this is what Adam does. He makes the ridiculous sound more ridiculous.

The length of the range there is not relevant to his narrative of lunacy.

this is what Adam does. He makes the ridiculous sound more ridiculous.

The length of the range there is not relevant to his narrative of lunacy.

Do you think Jack realizes how much less land he has to develop without reducing rates to create a course that is shorter?

Just curious but do you know how much Jack actually designs anymore? Other than messing with Murfiled Village and Scarlet I haven't heard of him doing any courses lately.

Just curious but do you know how much Jack actually designs anymore? Other than messing with Murfiled Village and Scarlet I haven't heard of him doing any courses lately.

His son is the VP of Nicklaus Design.

His son is the VP of Nicklaus Design.
I was more asking if you knew if Jack actually did any design work anymore. Outside of his pet projects. Just curious more than anything not really related to the topic.

"lets put them in a big old pile, get a little gasoline and light it"
LOL

It appears we picked a good topic this week, based on the thread activity.

...and I absolutely love it! Thanks so much for tuning in!

Wait till next week and you drop the bomb of quotes :ROFLMAO:

Which goes back to my point about Jack and Tiger.

well tiger wasn't the most accurate driver of the ball correct? he was just an escape/recovery artist.

not sure about jack. A bit to young to have ever seen him play for the most part haha.

also, I would like to see what these guys do with a ball that isn't made super low spin (bryson, rory, dj, hovland, champ, wolfe. etc). would they still try to smash the ball even though that miss will spin more and possibly go way offline?

well tiger wasn't the most accurate driver of the ball correct? he was just an escape/recovery artist.

not sure about jack. A bit to young to have ever seen him play for the most part haha.

also, I would like to see what these guys do with a ball that isn't made super low spin (bryson, rory, dj, hovland, champ, wolfe. etc). would they still try to smash the ball even though that miss will spin more and possibly go way offline?

His accuracy was decent and his iron play was amazing, but at the end of the day, that doesn't change anything. Long hitters dominated and now that the playing field has been leveled a bit and players got longer, complaints come in.

Nobody would be complaining if Tiger was still longer than everybody else.

Out of curiosity, if the spin of a ball is such a problem, why are the guys out there using spinnier balls?
Shouldn't they all be playing the lowest spinning ball possible if that is the key to unlocking distance and accuracy?

This was a great listen. Best episode yet (y)

More Holey Moley on the golf course. The show is awesome @Canadan you are missing out.

Out of curiosity, if the spin of a ball is such a problem, why are the guys out there using spinnier balls?
Shouldn't they all be playing the lowest spinning ball possible if that is the key to unlocking distance and accuracy?

I always find it interesting that people say the balata was spinnier. It was not. They were hitting these balls which were softer and in some cases liquid in middle. They were inefficient and the clubs mainly drivers and woods were inefficient.

They may have spun a smidge more off the driver. But off irons and wedges they spin less.

Back