PODCAST Off Course: Episode 10: Distance on Tour

i dont understand why this has become such a problem, its a sport, every player competes to be the best, work to be the best. this is in every sport.
if theres no doping, you cant get around it. every player wants to train harder, lift more, run faster, at least youd think so but some players just have the natural ability and dont put a lot of effort into it i suppose. but the ones that do, will always.

my oldest is going to be a freshman in high school, i had told him repeatedly for the last 2 years of junior high, lift and run hard and he started to a year ago, he is bigger, stronger, faster than i was at that age and will ever be and moving forward, and its only going to help him continue to grow in athletics, its what he wants to do and try and be the best.

my point is, this has been going on for awhile and will continue to only get bigger. if a person loves the sport and theres a ton of money involved and financial lifetime securities involved, you better believe teens and young adults will become monster bodies for what their trying to do.

I always find it interesting that people say the balata was spinnier. It was not. They were hitting these balls which were softer and in some cases liquid in middle. They were inefficient and the clubs mainly drivers and woods were inefficient.

They may have spun a smidge more off the driver. But off irons and wedges they spin less.

Hard to tell, especially off the tee, because the modern metal woods are so much better and more efficient now.
But this old ad from Titleist is showing 8 iron spin nearing 10k with a balata.

123.jpg

You don't want more mime golf? or Hot Dog golfer rollers? Common it's a soon to be classic :LOL:

Hard to tell, especially off the tee, because the modern metal woods are so much better and more efficient now.
But this old ad from Titleist is showing 8 iron spin nearing 10k with a balata.

View attachment 8949739

That is interesting. Everything I have every seen in head to head tests does not show those numbers. I am not saying they are wrong. I am old enough and lucky enough to have played the Titleist tour 90/100 balls. 😢

Edit. Here is a pretty good comparison I think

1592587042620.png

Last edited:
Great listen guys! I was hoping for a blimp sponsorship, but I’ll be looking for the Off Course billboard to keep Bryson from cutting corners in future events.

@HipCheck throwing more completely unsolicited shade at Rob Riggle this week. What other Robs do you have an issue with? I don’t see @Canadan going after Daniel Craig 🤷‍♂️

Great listen guys! I was hoping for a blimp sponsorship, but I’ll be looking for the Off Course billboard to keep Bryson from cutting corners in future events.

@HipCheck throwing more completely unsolicited shade at Rob Riggle this week. What other Robs do you have an issue with? I don’t see @Canadan going after Daniel Craig 🤷‍♂️

I'll take a shot at Harry Potter next week to level things off.

looks like he tried to hook it in and it went straight. ;)

This just in... USGA gets bored of no one taking them seriously, turns their attention to the NFL.

#RollBackTheReceiverGloves
#RollBackTheSpikes

This just in... USGA gets bored of no one taking them seriously, turns their attention to the NFL.

#RollBackTheReceiverGloves
#RollBackTheSpikes

but not even joking, receiver gloves are ridiculous.

Ive only gotten to the bryson talk so far.... have to say, put me in the GU/Rob camp of change the ball.

I dont think either of them are saying playing wound balls haha, but make the ball spin again. Make the players have to control that spin. I mean, you force them to play spinnier (that doesn't look right but spelling be damned), i doubt they go all hulk on the ball and take those aggressive lines.

I am not sure what the correct answer is. But, I dont like the idea of the PGA turning into circus golf. I used to play a lot of table tennis and to slow that game down, they changed to a larger ball. Maybe that is the simple answer.

This is fascinating.

Ive only gotten to the bryson talk so far.... have to say, put me in the GU/Rob camp of change the ball.

I dont think either of them are saying playing wound balls haha, but make the ball spin again. Make the players have to control that spin. I mean, you force them to play spinnier (that doesn't look right but spelling be damned), i doubt they go all hulk on the ball and take those aggressive lines.
the problem with this, is technology.

I watched a video today talking about the new Bridgestone Tour B XS - showcasing how they have done a brilliant job against competitors in that while their wedge and iron spin are still maximized, there are notable drops when you get to driver.

What are the governing bodies going to do about something like that? Technology is SO good in 2020. Companies will find a way - and it's not like you can enforce spin overall. How does that even begin to be tracked?

You don't want more mime golf? or Hot Dog golfer rollers? Common it's a soon to be classic :LOL:

I told you we need to keep this a "Riggle Free Zone."

Back