PODCAST Off Course: Episode 10: Distance on Tour

Currently being printed at GU HQ.851F5074-4C7A-42A9-AC50-926D497E2810.jpeg

99E05954-D0FF-4F18-A6F6-D9D224083A74.jpeg

This is fascinating.

There are some am benefits to it. A larger ball will be much easier to hit solid. Every other ball role back idea hurts your average golfer.

This just in... USGA gets bored of no one taking them seriously, turns their attention to the NFL.

#RollBackTheReceiverGloves
#RollBackTheSpikes
They have rolled the receiver gloves back a bunch over the years and also outlawed stickum. The gloves they were now are no where near as sticky as the original receiver gloves and not close to stickum. The NFL has a whole section on cleat length. USGA will have to turn it's attention to the NHL.

In all seriousness every sport has regardless rules addressing equipment, fields, uniforms, etc. People just seem to get more bent out of shape when it comes to golf.

Part of me wants to roll back the ball just to see all the distance is ruining the game people lose their minds when all the short hitters get forced off the tour due to effectively longer courses. Not to mention it would benefit me greatly since I’d still be longer than others and it would be harder for me to hit it OB.

They have rolled the receiver gloves back a bunch over the years and also outlawed stickum. The gloves they were now are no where near as sticky as the original receiver gloves and not close to stickum. The NFL has a whole section on cleat length. USGA will have to turn it's attention to the NHL.

In all seriousness every sport has regardless rules addressing equipment, fields, uniforms, etc. People just seem to get more bent out of shape when it comes to golf.
Most don’t play football after high school, so the equipment rules don’t impact a game we still play, unlike golf.

Out of curiosity, if the spin of a ball is such a problem, why are the guys out there using spinnier balls?
Shouldn't they all be playing the lowest spinning ball possible if that is the key to unlocking distance and accuracy?

cmon dan you know why.spin is key for them to succeed in the the short game. The thing is (and this is alluding you your other quoted post to me) the technology is so awesome these days, they can make the layers so dynamic that you can maximize spin with those shots while keeping driver spin low. And I never said lower spin means accuracy. Opposite actually. But as we know, if you mishit a ball (low on the face/heel) that increase in spin can turn a fade into a big slice off the course

these guys are good. And a ball that spins more off the tee may not really do anything as these guys can just start hitting more up on the ball when needing to knock some off. But I think it would allow the actual better drivers if theball show up more than just the guyswho can bomb the stuffing out of it and keep it in play most of the time (as in rough or fairway).

I love the new Bridgestone ball btw for the reasons you stated. It’s what I’ve been using most of this year.

the problem with this, is technology.

I watched a video today talking about the new Bridgestone Tour B XS - showcasing how they have done a brilliant job against competitors in that while their wedge and iron spin are still maximized, there are notable drops when you get to driver.

What are the governing bodies going to do about something like that? Technology is SO good in 2020. Companies will find a way - and it's not like you can enforce spin overall. How does that even begin to be tracked?

true. I’m not sure what they could do to make sure it spins as that’s so variable by strike, swing speed, angle of attack, etc

people complained or changed courses then though. That’s why the modern championship course was designed. “Needs to be long! Tiger hits it too far andnewer players will do the same.”

But that also doesn’t change anything. The longest still won. Why the need to alter that distance is important now? As Jack was playing a “different” course than the rest he was winning. Then Tiger was and they knew the new regime was going to bomb it. So in their lack of wisdom just added length.

Why does the Honda Classic continue to be considered tough? It doesn’t have length nor crazy thick tough.

#GrowTheGrass

(y)

But that also doesn’t change anything. The longest still won. Why the need to alter that distance is important now? As Jack was playing a “different” course than the rest he was winning. Then Tiger was and they knew the new regime was going to bomb it. So in their lack of wisdom just added length.

Why does the Honda Classic continue to be considered tough? It doesn’t have length nor crazy thick tough.

I mean valid.
Longest will always be long and have advantage.

I’m not even sure I’m trying to say that distance should be dialed back. I’m more in the camp that I want to see them work the ball again or be better ball strikers.

I love watching them hit shots not just step up and throttle it straight. everyone loves when we get to see pro tracers like JT did last week I think when he hit asuper low driver with a draw around a corner. Only flew 240 o think and it was sexy how he controlled the ball. We know he can bomb it as well.

Another good podcast guys! Finally got time to listen in the car as I was on kid transport duty. :)

So I’ve noticed the past few days while watching the WGC tourney that I’ve yet to see a driver distance. Now I haven’t been glued to the tv but every drive I’ve seen with ball speed, height, and a trace there is never a distance like when they roll out 70 yards. Now that the fairways are holding back the distance I feel they don’t want to show how the ball/equipment DOES NOT need rolled back. If they played on fairways like this all the time, this wouldn’t be a discussion.

Back