Lots of trial and error. Some I liked but didn’t want to play because I lost a lot of balls every round. I’ve since improved my play and ability to not lose my ball. I’ve found several balls that I like including ZStars, ProV1 and ProV1X. I still want to try the new Bridgestone offerings and will get to it at some point.

Snowman said:
On a related note, doesn’t everybody who does a Titleist fitting get fit into either the ProV1 or ProV1X? No matter who you are or what your game is like, they want to sell you their $48/dozen golf balls.
The online Titleist fitting tool puts me in Tour Soft. I like them on course, but TruFeels are just as good for me at a better price.

Like most, trial and error. Spent last year playing the TP5X, this year switched to the ProV1x and now the left dash ProV1x. They all feel and play pretty much the same, so I'm sure I could game a number of different balls. Just preference. Luckily I don't lose many balls anymore, but if I did, cost would certainly be a consideration as well.

I like to test my gamer over a period of 2-3 rounds to get a good feel on it. See how it reacts around the greens. Off the irons give a good feel. Driver provide a good distance and roll out of possible

Each year or so I will get a sample of the new versions of the main lower spinning 'tour' options. I will start with chipping and putting around the practice green, and start ruling out balls depending on their feel and performance. I will then progress to a full wedge shot to see how they spin (not looking for excessive backspin).

That is pretty much it. On course, it has been a number of years since I have seen any real difference between any of the equivalent (i.e. ProV1 V TP5 V Z star V Chromesoft) major balls in terms of total distance for either irons or woods.

My favorite ball chose me.... kinda. I found my first one in some leaves one day and I never looked at another ball after that.

A Pro-V1

There might be 20 other balls just as good.... as I have no idea.

But good is good......... and I hate change. I just bought 48 ( used mint) this past Monday.

Like most, trial and error. Spent last year playing the TP5X, this year switched to the ProV1x and now the left dash ProV1x. They all feel and play pretty much the same, so I'm sure I could game a number of different balls. Just preference. Luckily I don't lose many balls anymore, but if I did, cost would certainly be a consideration as well.
They might feel similar-ish, but did you notice any performance difference? The prov1x plays pretty differently than the other two.

Well there were some differences for sure, but I'm not Iron Byron and my swing changes from day to day. It was more of a one-off that i even tried the left dash and just have stuck with them.

I was fitted into the ProV1x at the Titleist Distance THP event last April. Since then I have exclusively played that ball until this week. I still plan on it being my primary ball but the Srixon bogo deal was too good to pass up.

That ball seems the same off the tee but lacks a little around the greens. However when goofing off in a casual round it doesn’t hurt as bad to lose a few sleeves.

I used to go through and buy a dozen of this and that when I would read some reviews. But then I did the VFIT in November and it’s like the heavens opened and God himself blessed me with a magic ball. The Tour BX has been so good for me, knocking down spin off the tee but still giving me enough around the green when I need it. It’s been so awesome, I bought 12 dozen. And because they are so good, I barely lose balls anymore, so they will last me a while.

Back