What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

The regular CS will have a higher flight. The CSX will have a bit more of a penetrating flight.
Exactly what I found. A tad lower trajectory and penetrating.

I was referring to the CS in this. The new CS reminds me a lot of the previous CSX. The new CSX was definitely firmer feeling.
For me the feel between 2020 CS and CSx were very similar. CSx definitely lower more penetrating flight for me.

I played 9 with the new 2020 CS. It was a short par 3 course so basically wedges were used and one 9 iron. I could not tell a huge difference from previous models to be honest. I did think that the previous versions did spin a bit more and the 2020 version maybe flew a bit further.

Last edited:
Sorry, I've been outside in the heat since 8am. I'll gather more thoughts tomorrow once I'm hydrated and alert.

I'll just say this. If you're a fan of the Prov1x, I think you'll be extremely happy with the CSX. I used both today, basically interchangeably and couldn't really pick out a difference between the two. They feel similar, they perform similarly. And that's great because I don't think anyone can argue that the Prov1x is not great ball.

It's definitely firmer than the CS. Doesn't feel quite as clicky as the 2018 CSX. It's long of the tee. It has a ton of bite with my irons. Great great ball.

Played 18 today with the ‘20 CSX and it continues to impress. I hit some bombs and hellacious seeds. Played with one of the longest guys at my club and he commented on how long and accurate I was.

Approach performance and feel is great. As many have said the ball flight is penetrating and the ball holds its line.

Greenside feel and spin is as good any any other ball. High and low shots flight as intended.

Putting feel is great. Definitely firmer than the CS but nothing offensive at all. I play the TT with the insert and the feel of the ball and insert is great.

I’ve said this before but this will be my gamer for the foreseeable future.

Hit some of the longest drives ever for me on the course I played yesterday with the 2020 CS y&b truvis. It feels good and provides nice bite around the greens. It’s in the running to be my new ball.

Time to jump in on the fun. I’m excited to test these out and see what kind of distance and spin I get.

1593466081510.jpeg

Still in recovery mode after the weekend. Who would have thought that spending way too much time in the heat and drinking more beer than water would have been a bad idea?

Anyways, I just wanted to reiterate how similar the CSX and ProV1x seemed even during my round yesterday. I even threw in one of my favorite balls ever into the mix to see how things would go. The Z Star XV. The CSX can officially do anything my favorite ball up to this point can.

I have never been one to notice a huge difference between golf balls. Especially when they are supposed to offer similar performance. I base most of my decision making on feel as much as I do performance. These feel nice. They feel really nice. I never really got along with the last CSX. They didn't feel right to me. Too hard off the irons and putter without giving me much difference in performance. During our time in Carlsbad, we were essentially told that it was really the only main difference between that and the old CS. They essentially performed the same with feel being the only real difference. They went out of their way to ensure the new CSX stood apart from the CS this time around. They got it right. I can see that the CSX is launching lower than the CS on both driver and irons for me. They also seem to spin more off the irons and appears to be longer off the driver for me. I haven't gotten them on a LM to do any in depth testing between the two and am going off of memory on the CS.

More spin with my irons is exactly what my game needed this season. The CSX delivers. I couldn't really tell any major differences in greenside spin. The greens at my new course are much different than what I am used to. I want to get out to my old course one of these days. I know those greens like the back of my hand. I will be able to tell immediately if they are reacting differently on those shots.

I happened to be in two different shops today and both had a yellow CS with some sort of a symbol on it. The box said something about “play yellow”. Sorry if this was mentioned already but it’s a pretty cool campaign. I wasn’t planning on switching from the V1x but I’ll buy a dozen to help the cause.

View attachment 8950710
Thank you for the support. We are really happy to be a part of this program and help support the Childrens Miracle Network of hospitals and the Play Yellow campaign.

Thank you for the support. We are really happy to be a part of this program and help support the Childrens Miracle Network of hospitals and the Play Yellow campaign.
Glad I could help. My local shop I think only had sleeves of the Play Yellow so far so I bought a sleeve the other day. Will likely be picking a dozen up from Dicks later this week.

Anyways, I just wanted to reiterate how similar the CSX and ProV1x seemed even during my round yesterday.

They went out of their way to ensure the new CSX stood apart from the CS this time around. They got it right. I can see that the CSX is launching lower than the CS on both driver and irons for me. They also seem to spin more off the irons and appears to be longer off the driver for me. I haven't gotten them on a LM to do any in depth testing between the two and am going off of memory on the CS.

Any discernible difference in launch or shot height between the CSX and the V1x ?
Reason I ask is because the V1x is supposed to be Titleist's highest launching urethane ball and you mentioned the CSX flying lower than the CS.

Any discernible difference in launch or shot height between the CSX and the V1x ?
Reason I ask is because the V1x is supposed to be Titleist's highest launching urethane ball and you mentioned the CSX flying lower than the CS.
I find that the Prov1x seems to launch lower than Chrome Soft or Srixon Z Star. For my swing anyways. And this is just an eye test. So, any variables in my swing on a given day can surely play into that. I seem to get a nice mid boring trajectory off of my driver and irons with it. If we're talking a degree difference between the two, I wouldn't be able to pick it up without a LM.

My swing is a bit of an anomaly at times though. I seem to launch the ball higher than most, but definitely produce a lot less spin than most as well.

I've got a few rounds coming up in the next few days. I am going to pay attention to the CS vs CSX where launch/carry distance off the tee is concerned and spin into the greens.

I've been playing quite a bit with the regular CS and I've really been enjoying it. Distance seems to be similar to the Bridgestone I've been playing, spin seems like it's increased and it definitely does better in the wind compared to the previous model.

I need to get the new CSX in hand though. Last year's Triple Track version is one of my favorite balls ever and while I like the regular CS it didn't do anything to blow me away.

got some Chrome Soft TT ready to go... needed some red white and blue for the 4th of July Round!

I don’t need balls yet but those Play Yellow ones are a strong ponder right now.

I spent some this afternoon in the short game area testing the 2018 Cs/CSX against the 2020 CS/CSX. Nothing scientific but I was able to hit a variety of pitches/chips from about 30yds and in. I used my 49* and 54* as those are the wedges I use a lot into and around the green. My goal was to pay attention to the spin and make some mental notes of what I saw. I rarely take the ball high into the green unless I’m in some thicker rough, short sided or have a forced carry. For my wedges I play the ball either front of my stance for height or back for a nice bump and run.

I started with the 2018 balls bc I know what those give me since I’ve played them the longest. Both great balls imo and I could play the 18 CSX with no problems if I had to.

As suspected based on my time with the CS it felt great and had some runout to it. On occasion I could get it to check up a little, but more often than not it ran out a few feet. Hard to gauge how much but safe to say enough to have me aiming short of my target and having it run up. Again typical of what I saw when I played these before.

The 18CSX definitely has more spin. I’ve used this ball for a majority of my rounds since it came out because of how it checks into the green with irons and the action I can produce with wedges. Aiming to the same target, roughly about 30yds, the ball had one or two hops and checked up. One thing to know this ball will run out, but not as much as the CS. I played the ball back in my stance and it performed as expected. Open up the 54 a little and it hits soft and checks. A lot of what I saw during my time putting it in play.

The 20CS has been in rotation since I got back from The Grandaddy. I really enjoy this ball through the bag and into the green. Where the previous version came up short spin wise with irons and wedges, this one begins to fix the issue for me. Again I know this is all on me and how I deliver the club/wedge to the ball, but I saw this version checking a little better. I saw more stopping with minimal rollout. The ball still moved forward after landing but I didn’t see it running out as much. A lot of what I saw was similar to my experience on the course. One thing to note that a wedge player with a more aggressive move than I have, will have no problems checking these up with their shots.

The 20CSX is the unknown for me and many. We got the low down back in December on the make up for this ball and how this version is different than the CS. To be honest I immediately discounted the ball because I know I don’t have the swing speed off the tee the ball demands. I’m not comparing it at all to the Prov1X or ZStar XV, but I feel like this ball will compete nicely with those two based on the presentation. A few THPers have commented that you don’t need a high, 100mph plus, swing speed off the tee to get the benefits from this one and that makes me smile.

Back to the wedge shots. I’ll try to temper my excitement based on a practice session, but I’m sold. I still saw some run out with the ball in the back of my stance for bump and runs as expected, but moving it forward and opening up the 54* the ball landed and stopped within a couple of inches. A few times I got aggressive with the pitches and saw some great spin. This ball took what the 2018 CSX did and made it better based on my limited practice with it.

I hit up the practice green to work on a couple of things and I wanted to pay attention to how firm it felt off the putter face. I’m using my Toulon Chicago and the 2018CSX felt really firm off the putter. There is an audible click coming off the face. The 20CSX feels firm as well, but I’m not hearing/feeling that click off the face. Safe to say I really enjoy this one off the putter.

I’m playing a course tomorrow that I have a good idea where my normal tee shots end up, so I’ll know real quick if I’m losing distance off the tee. I also know I’ll have a couple of holes where those in between wedge shots will come into play so I’ll make some mental notes and hopefully have a better idea if the 20CSX will be the ball im playing long term.

Practice session in the extreme heat today and the results are so promising. Heat index put the temps at 106° and the humidity was no joke but I still had to get some reps in. The 58X and the 54W are my weapons of choice.
For the last season I’d been playing the CSX TT ‘19. It was the perfect balance for me. Firm, but not harsh. Low spin off the tee. High spin around the greens. I gave the 2020 CS a go this year. It was a solid ball but definitely played softer. The CSX 19 was still giving me a better balance from tee to green so i was excited to try the newer iteration. During my last outing, I saw some pretty significant distance gains on a few shots. Half to a full club distance. One of them shocked my playing partners and the Marshall who happened to have stopped and watched my approach shot. I don’t know whether or not it literally carried a full club further but when I reached the ball it was almost 15yds further than what I normally see off my 7i. Similar off the driver but definitely long to longer.
Back to the greens. I’m not sure if it’s the new jaws wedges, the CSX 2020 or both but I found myself having to step on a few shots because I wasn’t getting the same amount of roll out. As a matter of fact some shots were stopping almost immediately on the moister greens and checking up quickly on the drier greens. It was definite adjustment. I even had a few wedge shots that I thinned and fully expected to go off the green that grabbed and and stopped before rolling off into oblivion.
In a nutshell, I’m sold. This will be my gamer. The distance. The flight. The spin. I love it. Let’s just say I moved some things and grabbed a few.

FC7AEDD5-D9E0-406B-9258-61FCB99E3360.jpeg

First round with the CSX in a couple of hours. Based on @dacatalyst41 post I’m excited to see where I am off the tee with this ball. I’m playing with a friend who typically out drives me by 10 -15 yds, so I’ll have a good benchmark for results.

Ok so today was a scramble round started with a USA truvis and then switched to chrome + after I hooked it in the woods... What ball is Chrome + like?

Played the Truvis Chromesoft for the first time today on consecutive holes. I was wowed. Feels great off the club face, and very responsive around the greens. I borderline think I like it more than my current Vice Pro Plus due to the juiciness of it.

Ok so today was a scramble round started with a USA truvis and then switched to chrome + after I hooked it in the woods... What ball is Chrome + like?

I never played the + but iirc it was firm from others feedback.

Sleeve of the CSX2020's in the bag for tomorrow. Sadly, I don't have the regular CS 2020 to compare them to. I do though have the 2018 CSX so I'll do as best I can.

Back