I'll concede that taking a side on such an argument is highly subjective, but I can pretty comfortably say that no one I golf with would feel the same way about a penalty area than OB in certain locations.

It's a totally different experience.
How? Most golfers would be more inclined to play away from a pond than from a white stake where there is open grass on the other side.

I think we both know that arguing either side of this one is completely arbitrary and dependent on the individual.

Find me a reckless individual who hits driver on every hole no matter how challenging and I'll find you two guys that play away from trouble at any chance as soon as OB comes into play. I do it myself on numerous locations of my home course.
Whoever always plays away from OB would do the same for a pond.

Just a quick note, multi quote is built into the system and very easy to use. Here are the instructions.

Quote Button – This is how to multi-quote. You can click as many quote buttons as you want across as many pages, and even threads as you want, and then when you go to the reply box at the bottom of the page. You will see on the bottom left it says Insert Quote, click that and all your quotes will be there and you can click quote messages, or delete some of the quotes if you didn’t want to quote them anymore or clicked it by accident. You can also de-select a quote you previously selected by simply clicking the quote button again for that post.

Bumping this.

Wow, there’s so much passion in this thread you would think we’re talking about iron covers or something. Here’s a bold idea, play how you want in a fun round with some friends. Use a lateral rule or the local rule if applicable. Heck if you want, take a provisional or three if you need to. If you’re playing for money or score, play by whatever rule is in effect weather you agree with it or not. Until then, I’ll play the local rule and get upset that I have to add another tally on the scorecard... if i can find it.

But so is a pond that is adjacent to the fairway. It is the same thing from a playing perspective.
That's somewhat selective, isn't it? Ponds aren't usually created to keep people away from anything.

How? Most golfers would be more inclined to play away from a pond than from a white stake where there is open grass on the other side.
Whoever always plays away from OB would do the same for a pond.
Are these facts or conjecture?

As I completely disagree, and don't know anyone who supports that logic, I'm going to have to comfortably agree to disagree.

a penalty is a penalty, right? why do we have to complicate it with 3 stupid ways to play each different type of penalty? seems like my way can simplify things, still protect property, keep people safe, and speed the game up. the only thing potential detriment I see is removing the option to hit out of a lateral hazard. in my way, that option is removed so it's always a one-stroke penalty. one shot in, one penalty shot to drop, hitting your next shot. easy. i'm a genius.

I agree 💯. And if you’re dropping within two club lengths from where the ball crossed OB, you are probably playing out of some gnarly rough or behind some trees (I know too well...) so to me it’s plenty punitive with that change.

I can think of 2 courses within 10 miles of my house that have scenarios that fit that description. Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it's not out there.

I think you give the "average golfer" too much credit, too.

And just because 2 instances that meets the criteria means that it exists everywhere? Both may be false equivalencies.

That's somewhat selective, isn't it? Ponds aren't usually created to keep people away from anything.

True. They are to protect access to the hole in some shape or form. OB is meant to define the course boundaries.

Still don't see the value in making OB more of a penalty than a penalty area. The idea that 2 strokes vs 1 stroke affords any more protection of off course areas for the vast majority of golfers who aren't pin point accuracy golfers just doesn't make sense to me. Nobody intends or aims for the OB not do they intend or aim for a hazard/pond/trees etc.

OB usually isn't created either (excluding internal OB). It is a necessity of the property. When it comes to how to play the hole, the genesis of the OB or the pond doesn't matter.

Are these facts or conjecture?

As I completely disagree, and don't know anyone who supports that logic, I'm going to have to comfortably agree to disagree.
Several people above said the same thing as I did. It defies logic that an average golfer would see a pond or see a OB stake, on an otherwise exact same hole, and would decide to go risky and hit close to the pond but stay safe and away from the OB because one is a single penalty and the other is a double penalty. They see both as penalties or lost balls and will play each the same way. Logical.

OB usually isn't created either (excluding internal OB). It is a necessity of the property. When it comes to how to play the hole, the genesis of the OB or the pond doesn't matter.
Disagree. OB is absolutely created to keep people away from things.

how what's an issue?

you seem to be implying that removing hazards is an issue. i’m saying merging hazards and penalty areas into one hybrid area seems to make a lot of sense. maybe i’m just not understanding the point you’re making?

There is no way that any one playing a NYC area public course is making a walk back to hit another tee ball. The groups behind you would just get violent if you tried it (exaggerating, but it wouldn't be pretty).
Hence why I left the NE for a more polite and welcome area. I know full well of what you speak.

So I have several groups of guys I travel with....And often we are playing links courses with no defined objects to mark a miss hit ball....So we have set up our own rules for our play....We play the entire course lateral....Loss a ball....drop near the area add one continue on....Put a ball OB...drop where it went out add one continue on....Do these rules apply if we were to play in official tournaments....no...but it works for our play in places we are not familiar with often and we don't have to walk back and re hit...And we are walking typically.

you seem to be implying that removing hazards is an issue. i’m saying merging hazards and penalty areas into one hybrid area seems to make a lot of sense. maybe i’m just not understanding the point you’re making?
I was just making a joke that they eliminated the term 'hazard' in the new rules with 'penalty area' taking over... thus the LOL thing attached.

I was just making a joke that they eliminated the term 'hazard' in the new rules with 'penalty area' taking over... thus the LOL thing attached.

shows what i know about the rules. i didn’t even know they did that haha

shows what i know about the rules. i didn’t even know they did that haha
Where have you been? I know it has been discussed here.

Disagree. OB is absolutely created to keep people away from things.
The area that is OB is almost never created for that purpose. The course is usually laid out next to or around the OB area. Courses through housing, or courses that abut the edge of the property line. OB is hardly ever created to be OB.

The area that is OB is almost never created for that purpose. The course is usually laid out next to or around the OB area. Courses through housing, or courses that abut the edge of the property line. OB is hardly ever created to be OB.
lmao how could you possibly know that?

Wow, there’s so much passion in this thread you would think we’re talking about iron covers or something. Here’s a bold idea, play how you want in a fun round with some friends. Use a lateral rule or the local rule if applicable. Heck if you want, take a provisional or three if you need to. If you’re playing for money or score, play by whatever rule is in effect weather you agree with it or not. Until then, I’ll play the local rule and get upset that I have to add another tally on the scorecard... if i can find it.

If we change the OB rule can we change these to GIR?

IMG_3073.jpg
IMG_3074.jpg

Back