Review Tour Edge EXS 220 Driver Review

After a poor driving round with my gamer driver Sunday (Flash), I went over to the range and worked with the EXS220 and SZ Xtreme drivers.

I can say that the EXS220 seems to hit a tighter dispersion window for me than the SZ X. Nothing really pushed too bad to the right (I haven't hit a slice or fade in years) and while I can get OTT pull hooky at times the shots with the 220 don't seem to dive as hard left on me. Off center shots don't seem all that punished and the distance is there too.

I aim for a green with a pin that is 235. On the course when dry and firm I might get 3-4 drives that end up 230-255 range so to get it onto the 235 green is a poke for me (I know....short knocker...not an internet golfer here by any means ;)).

Out of about 60 drives with the 220 and SZX I managed to hit 3 balls that rolled through the green with the 220 and only 1 that rolled up to the pin with the SZ X.
I made an adjustment with about 10 balls to go adding a bit more tilt to my address position and liked the ball flight better (less sweeping push draws and more straight with baby draw action). So I hope I can take it to the course.

But as I have stated on here many a time, the 220 holds its own with anything I have tested. It sounds better than the SZ X and Epic Flash too. I noticed that again yesterday on the range when hitting all 3 side by side.

Also one thing I am noticing is the stock Ventus Blue 4t seems to hold up really well. Not to say that other stock shafts are sloppy but I would say the tip on it seems a little firmer that most R flex shafts I have swung yet the launch is still there. I feel like with it I can go after it a bit more than I usually do.

Lots to like here for the price. And as @chile mentioned above I noticed they are now starting to show up on Tour Edge's preowned area on the website for under $250.
I almost popped for a used 220 hybrid yesterday but they didn't have the loft and flex I wanted to try.

Remember too guys that Tour Edge has a 30 day money back guarantee trial period if you buy through them. I have tried a few of their 6i's on their demo program and they were always great to work with if you needed to return the club.

Oh and by the way, the finish on the driver is holding up perfectly. No paint chips, no nothing. I will clean it up tonight and snap a pic. Still looks as good as the day I got it.

I bought a certified pre-owned model (since this is my first big TE buy) but it looked immaculate (posted above) so for $236, I am very happy with this. Can't wait to put some more rounds on this...
Curious did it come with the matching head cover?

Got out for 18 today. Took out 3 drivers with me: EXS220, Epic Flash and the Speedzone Xtreme. All with similar weight shafts and flex.
I was able to hit them each on 9 of the various driving holes and played a little scramble off the tee with myself. All were marked with a Bushnell GPS.

Results (red bold indicates it won that category):

EXS220 12* (Ventus Blue 4t 5R at 45" set to U/+)
Avg distance: 230
Shortest drive: 213
Longest drive: 249
Fairways in Reg: 5/9
# of drives used: 4
# of drives over 230 yds: 5

Epic Flash 12* (Even Flow Green 55g 5.5 at 45" set to +2/D weight in fade side)

Avg: 222
Short: 203
Long: 239
FIR: 7/9
# of drives used: 2
# of drives over 230: 3

Speedzone Xtreme 12* (GD YS-5 Nano Reloaded 5R at 45" set to +1.5)
Avg: 220
Short: 171 (hit a tree)
Long: 263
FIR: 5/9
# of drives used: 3
# of drives over 230: 4

EXS220 simply keeps winning these challenges that I throw at it. My only knock is the 4 misses I had with it were all drives that went left and left me blocked in the tree line.
So that has me a bit concerned. If I could eliminate that miss I'd be a 100% happy camper. Going to mess with the hosel settings. I had it in U/+ for the test.
May try O/+ next time out as I like the height I get in the + setting.

The SZ X seems to have an extra gear on the longs, but my poor swings are really punished which is odd given it keeps being touted as the most forgiving driver of 2020.
It is my favorite of the three to look down at though. And I like that the face doesn't seem to rock closed in the higher loft settings. I also enjoy the upright lie angle.

The Flash has always been my steady Eddie driver. Not Flash-y (see what I did there ;)) but it usually keeps me in play and finds fairways. I have been gaming this combo for about a year now so there is definitely familiarity there and likely why I seem to just put an easy swing on it and it finds the short grass more often than not.

Time to just run with the 220

Time to just run with the 220

My next round I’m going to make the hosel adjustment and see what happens. All 18 with the EXS220. No other testing. Give it its fair due

@erock9174 - I'm really enjoying all the detailed updates! I can't wait for my Pro to show up. Should be here today!

@erock9174 - I'm really enjoying all the detailed updates! I can't wait for my Pro to show up. Should be here today!

Nice !! Good luck with it.

As for the updates, just trying to provide as much feedback as possible. Glad you are enjoying it.

The testing had me a bit flustered today though I must say.

First off, I had the first tee time and there was another single behind me. I was riding and he was walking. So I had tried to build up a good lead ahead of him but he kept pushing me along. I hate making people wait but the testing was my top priority !!

Then I have a 14 way bag but when testing clubs (I had 17 with me today) it gets overwhelming. At one point I went to tee off on #6 and the EXS220 was not in the riding cart with me. Instead of putting it in my bag I had put all 3 drivers into the basket in the back of the cart. All I can figure is when I hit a bump it must have fallen out. Thankfully a group 2 holes behind me found it and gave it to me. Crisis averted. So if anyone knows of a stand bag with an 18 way divider system... I am all ears ;)

Got out for 18 today. Took out 3 drivers with me: EXS220, Epic Flash and the Speedzone Xtreme. All with similar weight shafts and flex.
I was able to hit them each on 9 of the various driving holes and played a little scramble off the tee with myself. All were marked with a Bushnell GPS.

Results (red bold indicates it won that category):

EXS220 12* (Ventus Blue 4t 5R at 45" set to U/+)
Avg distance: 230
Shortest drive: 213
Longest drive: 249
Fairways in Reg: 5/9
# of drives used: 4
# of drives over 230 yds: 5

Epic Flash 12* (Even Flow Green 55g 5.5 at 45" set to +2/D weight in fade side)

Avg: 222
Short: 203
Long: 239
FIR: 7/9
# of drives used: 2
# of drives over 230: 3

Speedzone Xtreme 12* (GD YS-5 Nano Reloaded 5R at 45" set to +1.5)
Avg: 220
Short: 171 (hit a tree)
Long: 263
FIR: 5/9
# of drives used: 3
# of drives over 230: 4

EXS220 simply keeps winning these challenges that I throw at it. My only knock is the 4 misses I had with it were all drives that went left and left me blocked in the tree line.
So that has me a bit concerned. If I could eliminate that miss I'd be a 100% happy camper. Going to mess with the hosel settings. I had it in U/+ for the test.
May try O/+ next time out as I like the height I get in the + setting.

The SZ X seems to have an extra gear on the longs, but my poor swings are really punished which is odd given it keeps being touted as the most forgiving driver of 2020.
It is my favorite of the three to look down at though. And I like that the face doesn't seem to rock closed in the higher loft settings. I also enjoy the upright lie angle.

The Flash has always been my steady Eddie driver. Not Flash-y (see what I did there ;)) but it usually keeps me in play and finds fairways. I have been gaming this combo for about a year now so there is definitely familiarity there and likely why I seem to just put an easy swing on it and it finds the short grass more often than not.
Inspired by this head to head to head... Before I was notified of TEEm selection I bought a 785, then went through lessons and changed my swing. I will be head to head these at driving range and course next time I play.

The exs is great and a fairway bomber for me. Consistent distance with great ball flight. Not sure if I'm leaving anything on the tee from the high flight with Smoke Yellow. Maybe look for Smoke Black to try.

Thanks for heads up on pre-owned. I want to try hybrid and 3w.

I am pretty sold on the EXS 220 driver and will game it until the next best thing shows up, maybe in 2 or more years. :ROFLMAO:
I don't talk up a product that I don't like, so believe me when I say, this is my gamer.

I do. Put some range swings on it...(I hate that we have to use mats at my home range...all the tees are super high) so I ran around the course with it...I've been struggling with my driver lately so I was a bit anxious about hitting it right away but I got my some of my set up issues worked out enough to put some good tee shots on this. the sound is definitely different but I adjusted to it quickly. center face strikes are music to my ears and the feel is really nice. I hit a couple of 250 yarders (with rollout) and a few in the 230s but I was straight...ish for the round so I just need to get back with my instructor and work on the driver. I have the hzrdus yellow smoke on it and at first, I thought it might be too flexy but I didn't notice it while playing...I definitely want to swap out to a mid sized grip, tho...to be honest, I bought a certified pre-owned model (since this is my first big TE buy) but it looked immaculate (posted above) so for $236, I am very happy with this. Can't wait to put some more rounds on this...

@ApexFan i am contemplating a shaft change but not till i put a few more rounds on it.

Today was a tremendous day with this club, amazing and bombs!

1. Par 4 350 had pushed this to the right 125 left figured this was about 250ish based on shot.
2. Par 3 220 relaxed and watched the iron game show off
3. Par 5 473 - driver a bit into right rough 215 left... Getting better
4. Par 4 365 - bombed it 278 perfect fairway hit.
5. Par 4 419 great shot off to the the right side lasered to hole 110 don't believe it was 300 assuming tee box was up, but don't play enough to know better
6. Par 3... Yanked a wedge but we don't need to talk about that here.
7. Par 4 335 went for broke and ended up 63 out... right hand side
8. Dog leg gave the 220 a break
9. 369. This was a cut corner that benefitted the hard pan ground out there... 71 left from the left rough cart read 274
10. Par 5 long grip and rip hole...pulled it a bit but just off fairway 265
11. Par 5 winning face 20 feet left of fwy and not a great hit... Prob 235/245
12. Par 3 n sniped
13. Hit left and ended about 88 to hole... Head scratcher on distance as it's unfathomable how it landed where it was...discounting this hole to wind and hard pan...300+
14. Irons
15. Worst shot all day pushed well right...250 in right rough
16 - 3w
17 - par 3
18 - misaligned 258 behind tree lines. Good solid smash just worknin alignment.

Great updates guys!! Seems like this one plays toe to toe with most all other drivers being thrown at it! Love the detailed shot descriptions and on course testing! Keep it up!

Bought it based on this thread. It sheer outperformed my sz extreme.

What I would say about it is that it isn't the absolute longest but I've never played a more consistent performing driver. It's so stable, as close to point and shoot as an 11 cap will ever own.

Bought it based on this thread. It sheer outperformed my sz extreme.

What I would say about it is that it isn't the absolute longest but I've never played a more consistent performing driver. It's so stable, as close to point and shoot as an 11 cap will ever own.
It’s an incredible combo of everything, as time had gone in, the more impressed I’ve been.

Delofted to 8.5* just to see... Enjoying this driver muy macho. the new grip has made a world of difference in feel as well...my shaft change ponder is on hold since i grabbed a pair of shoes today :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Got out Sunday for a round with the EXS220.

Shot decently well for this course 42/42 (longest course I play from the whites - around 6400 yds)
But it was a very feast or famine round with the driver....well to be quite honest, mostly famine 💩
I hit it 14 times:
Hole 1 - snap hook 192 yds miss left
Hole 2 - snap hook 198 yds miss left
Hole 3 - ugly snap hook - 169 yds miss left
Hole 5 - 174 yds in the middle - didn't make good contact - did end up in the fairway though, luckily it's a really shot hole.
Hole 6 - Snap hook into the trees - 196 yds
Hole 7 - Hook 192 yds- Missed left
Hole 9 - 263 yds - Pushed one a little that didn't draw back. It had enough height to clear the trees and where the balls lands is extremely dry so it ran out forever. I haven't been able to put one over these trees in a few years so that was cool to see.
Hole 10 - 184 yds low snapper that missed left
Hole 12 - 232 yds - Nice one down the middle with a gentle draw
Hole 13 - 251 yds - Nice one in the middle.. my playing partner said in terms of ball flight its the best drive he's ever seen me hit
Hole 14 - 219 yds decent one in the fw
Hole 15 - 228 yds - Fairway hit
Hole 17 - 182 yds - another smother hook - miss left that put me into some really thick rough. Carded a triple bogey 7. meh
Hole 18 - 210 yds - Another miss left.
I seemed to catch a little lightning in a bottle on Holes 12-15 but the rest of the day was troubling for me and I couldn't put my finger on why the other swings were so poor. Swing felt good but obviously something was amiss. Indian not the arrow for sure.

Where can I get a Tour Edge EXS 220 shaft adapter? Need to try out the new LinQ gunmetal in this head.

Basically what I got and the LINQ gunmetal is almost done curing - plan on a trip to the range today to compare.
missed my chance at a range day.

missed my chance at a range day.
Bummer
I got afternoon meetings or else I’d be at Raintree. They just added new range mats today.

Still wacking the crap out of this club and am still very happy. I have never had a club be so forgiving and go so straight then this club. My poor M6 driver is just collecting dust in my closet. This is by far my favorite Teem Tour Edge club.

Bummer
I got afternoon meetings or else I’d be at Raintree. They just added new range mats today.

I really liked that course! Much better than anticipated.... let's tee it up down there sometime.

Back