Bryson DeChambeau WITB: 2020 Rocket Mortgage Classic Winner

Interesting WITB. I think Bryson is going to be very competitive at Augusta this year and have a great shot at the FedEx cup.

x100? There's still an x7 between sensibility and Rebar proto lmao
I’m not that that guy. I can’t imagine what those rebar shaft are like. Maybe rebar?

Artisan wedges eh? Innnnnteresting....

Artisan wedges eh? Innnnnteresting....

yeah i thought that was interesting too. cobra wedges are really good and ben is very talented at grinding to the tour staff’s specs. going artisan is not expected.

yeah i thought that was interesting too. cobra wedges are really good and ben is very talented at grinding to the tour staff’s specs. going artisan is not expected.
He's been experimenting with wedges going back to last year, even tried some PXG temporarily. Searching for a setup with less spin than his previous Cobra ones

Artisan is the real deal though. With Mike Taylor doing the wedge work, that’s a legend still very much in the game.

Artisan is the real deal though. With Mike Taylor doing the wedge work, that’s a legend still very much in the game.

oh for sure. it’s just interesting that someone who is fast becoming the face of a brand is not gaming that brand’s wedges when they offer a great product

So happy for Bryson. I will admit I have been a fanboy since he was in college. Dude has been lights out since the restart. Hope he keeps it going. I wonder if I could hit that driver any higher than the ball sits on the tee.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oh for sure. it’s just interesting that someone who is fast becoming the face of a brand is not gaming that brand’s wedges when they offer a great product

I believe he was like that with the LA golf shafts too. Was slow to get them in the bag when he had been brought on by the brand

Here is a look at WITB of the 2020 Rocket Mortgage Classic Winner Bryson DeChambeau.

Driver: Cobra KING SPEEDZONE 7.5 with LA Golf BAD Proto shaft 75TX

FW Woods: Cobra KING LTD 3 and 5 wood with LA Golf Trono BAD Proto shafts 75TX and 85TX

Irons: Cobra KING One Length Utility 4 & 5 and Cobra KING Forged Tour One Length 6-PW with LA Golf Rebar Proto Iron shafts

Wedges: Artisan Prototypes 50, 55 and 60 with LA Golf Rebar Proto Wedge shafts

Putter: SIK Prototype with LA Golf C2L Shaft

Golf Ball: 2020 Bridgestone TOUR B X with REACTIV Cover

Continue reading...

Do you know how long his driver shaft is, @JB?

Im not sure that is accurate.
He is playing Protos of a new shaft LA Golf is working on.
That video is from 2018.
He says a couple of thousand per club.

Do you know how long his driver shaft is, @JB?
I thought I heard someone say it was 46 but I could be wrong.

Also very happy to see him get the W. Not the popular opinion but do like the guy and happy to see him having success.

I thought I heard someone say it was 46 but I could be wrong.

Also very happy to see him get the W. Not the popular opinion but do like the guy and happy to see him having success.
I love seeing Bryson get the win. I like the guys who aren't cookie cutter conventional. Bryson is def different and he has set himself up for a big year.

I would love to try that Jumbo Max grip on a iron I wonder how much Lead they had to put in those heads to get the SW back to where it is supposed to be.

I have thought about this a lot, since the wedges are the biggest hangup most people have for OL. But I just think how his needs are so wildly different than most golfers, how much is it worth trying to shoehorn them vs having success like this? Considering that to get them to work, they'd literally be fighting against the club's features, trying to reduce spin so much.

Put that time and energy into optimizing the SZ for him and boom, Cobra's got a huge boost. I don't know there's a good answer out there, but just some of my thoughts.

I love seeing Bryson get the win. I like the guys who aren't cookie cutter conventional. Bryson is def different and he has set himself up for a big year.

I would love to try that Jumbo Max grip on a iron I wonder how much Lead they had to put in those heads to get the SW back to where it is supposed to be.
He's playing their ultra lite grip which is the same weight class as most grips. He switched to those last year when he was tinkering with shafts and heads searching for the right spin numbers. Fwiw, I'm playing Forged TECs with the JumboMax grips with Cobra Connect that are "normal" jumbo weight (105g) and the swing weight is about 4-5 points lower I believe.

The weird thing is in relatively little I’ve seen him play it appears his scores could be a lot better if he was a better wedge player on partial shots.

The weird thing is in relatively little I’ve seen him play it appears his scores could be a lot better if he was a better wedge player on partial shots.

Yup, he could tighten up that wedge game and putting and then he could be out there doing something crazy special.

That video is from 2018.
He says a couple of thousand per club.

Very different now. Spoke to the team at LA golf yesterday about these and we will have a lot more coming soon on both the irons and wedge versions.

Last edited:
The fact that he seems to be dialing in all that distance is kinda scary. Not every course will suit him, but many will. If he keeps improving his putting how many more could he win this year.

Very different now. Spoke to the team at LA golf yesterday about these and we will have a lot more coming soon on both the irons and wedge versions.
How crazy is that. Almost makes me wanna try them for myself.

all that lovely graphite :love:

For his driver and FWs, nothing wrong with rebar. It's not as though he needs deflection or anything to help with the ball. Point and shoot. That shaft is the only thing keeping his tee shots striaght. If you watch any of his slo-mo drives, he's all over the clubface at impact. Some heel, some toe.

Wedges on the other hand.... honestly, despite being a 10, I think I could've hit a majority of his approach shots closer than he did. His "One swing to rule them all" approach to the greens definitely puts a ceiling on his potential.

For his driver and FWs, nothing wrong with rebar. It's not as though he needs deflection or anything to help with the ball. Point and shoot. That shaft is the only thing keeping his tee shots striaght. If you watch any of his slo-mo drives, he's all over the clubface at impact. Some heel, some toe.

Wedges on the other hand.... honestly, despite being a 10, I think I could've hit a majority of his approach shots closer than he did. His "One swing to rule them all" approach to the greens definitely puts a ceiling on his potential.

it will be very interesting to see whether other players pursue extremely tip stiff driver shafts to achieve the same, particularly those with speed. although curvature is not only about gear effect, right? face and path need to be aligned extremely closely at that speed to achieve a straight(ish) ball flight.

i disagre that his swing is an issue for the wedges. bryson still shapes and flights the ball, as do most tour pros. i don't see how his particular swing model is any different than other pros who spend countless hours honing their own swing?

Back