JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The PGA Tour re-start has wreaked some havoc on the rankings and such, with the current top of the OWGR looking like this.

1-5-1024x692.jpg

Yet with seven top tens in a row including a victory, and looking at the players in front of him, it would be hard to find a clear answer. Webb Simpson has been playing rather well. Dustin Johnson has a victory in there too, but without the same level of consistency. Xander was a lip out away from maybe making a case? Rory, Brooks, Tiger, etc all seem to trail the current run of recent success.

Is Bryson Dechambeau currently the de facto #1 player in the world? If not him, then who?

Continue reading...

He’s trending to be but not only is he not the world #1 he is not even the leader in the FedEx Cup that said we can all agree he is

I would say that it is either Bryson or Webb. I believe the OWGR is weighted over two years which is why Tiger is still so high and he has barely played. I will be interested to see how Bryson does on a course at a major but I would say Bryson should be among the favorites in every event he plays in.

He is in the conversation, no doubt. But he hasn’t had the same consistency over multiple years that some of the other big names in this discussion have had so right now he isn’t my number one. If we are ignoring the current ratings, Webb Simpson has a slightly stronger case in my eyes right now.

I reserve the right to amend my answer in about a month because of BAD keeps up his streak, it’s him.

Not sure he deserves number 1 yet. I would say comfortably top 5 and probably should be top3.

I think Bryson is on a very quick path to being the number 1 player in the world. Is he there yet? No. I can see him winning one or two more times this year and continuing to place top 10 every week which will definitely take him straight to the top. It has been fun to watch, and has made the game more fun.

Not yet, but only because of the formula. He’s certainly trending in that direction even with Webb and DJ posting recent wins.

• Admin
He is in the conversation, no doubt. But he hasn’t had the same consistency over multiple years that some of the other big names in this discussion have had so right now he isn’t my number one. If we are ignoring the current ratings, Webb Simpson has a slightly stronger case in my eyes right now.

I reserve the right to amend my answer in about a month because of BAD keeps up his streak, it’s him.

Curious on Webb, so I looked up both of their 2020 starts. Its pretty darn close. Webb has the 2nd win, but also has a missed cut and a poor showing at WGC. Tough call, but both could possibly state their claim.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 7.21.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 7.21.50 AM.png

Curious on Webb, so I looked up both of their 2020 starts. Its pretty darn close. Webb has the 2nd win, but also has a missed cut and a poor showing at WGC. Tough call, but both could possibly state their claim.

View attachment 8952395

View attachment 8952396
Yeah, it’s close between them and I have Webb with the slight lead. He also had some memorable top tens from 2019 too and he was playing well at the end of the year. He is still Webb, but right now he has my nod. But as I said, it could change.

I think so. At least right now he is. Webb is a close second. At least to my eye test.

I would say yes followed by Webb.

Depending on which golf podcast you listen to, Webb Simpson might be the best player ever. :rolleyes:

I see your point, @JB. Ironically, I was thinking the same thing when he won on Sunday.

I would put it this way. Certainly, since play resumed, he is playing the best, imo. However, the measurement is what it is in terms of rankings. So, I would say it is easy to argue that he is currently the best player, but he will have to earn the ranking over time.

Hard not to put him at #1 right now with Webb coming in hot, but that spot is as fickle as any. It’ll be interesting to see if Bryson maintains this level of consistency or if the game starts seeing some cracks.

rankings are an eh way to look at it any how due to their formula, but yes, Bryson is probably top 3 in the world right now. Once he manages some iron/wedge consistency, he will win again and soon.

Look out PGA championship at harding and maybe, maybe the masters depending on that wedge play.

To answer the original question, yes, I believe Bryson is playing the best golf in the world right now.

I also believe that this method he's using is not sustainable. I can only imagine the gastrointestinal horrors that await him from consuming six protein shakes a day, and he is not immune to tweaking his back or another joint on a tee shot.

Much as I hate to admit, it seems he should be no. 1; certainly not Rory

I think he is benefiting from the courses he has been able to overpower lately. Not sure if his game is ready for the majors though. Will need better wedge play and the ability to hit fairways, which my put just enough pressure on his drives to get in his head. But for any bomber's course - he has to be the favorite.

I think he is benefiting from the courses he has been able to overpower lately. Not sure if his game is ready for the majors though. Will need better wedge play and the ability to hit fairways, which my put just enough pressure on his drives to get in his head. But for any bomber's course - he has to be the favorite.

Do you think RBC Heritage at Harbour Town was a bombers course? Genuinely curious as it is not crazy long and ranks in the top 10 toughest many years.

Here is the top 15 in driving accuracy on the PGA Tour currently. Bryson is 112th, ahead of Rory and Brooks actually.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 8.26.11 AM.png

I see your point, @JB. Ironically, I was thinking the same thing when he won on Sunday.

I would put it this way. Certainly, since play resumed, he is playing the best, imo. However, the measurement is what it is in terms of rankings. So, I would say it is easy to argue that he is currently the best player, but he will have to earn the ranking over time.

Well said...

I've seen his wedge game, and there are some pretty awful wedge shots in there. So no, I'm not going to call him the de facto #1.

~Rock

Do you think RBC Heritage at Harbour Town was a bombers course? Genuinely curious as it is not crazy long and ranks in the top 10 toughest many years.

Here is the top 15 in driving accuracy on the PGA Tour currently. Bryson is 112th, ahead of Rory and Brooks actually.

View attachment 8952402
He played smart that week and laid back with less than driver on a lot of holes and I think the greens were pretty receptive that week (if I recall there had been a lot of rain). My point is that his game may not be complete enough to call him #1 just yet. I want to see how he handles the majors with firmer greens combined with the need to hit fairways.

He played smart that week and laid back with less than driver on a lot of holes and I think the greens were pretty receptive that week (if I recall there had been a lot of rain). My point is that his game may not be complete enough to call him #1 just yet. I want to see how he handles the majors with firmer greens combined with the need to hit fairways.

I definitely agree that a lot still has to be seen.
My question is, is hitting more fairways necessary, when looking at the players in front of him and where they rank in driving accuracy?

Or does hitting it past everybody, but having a 60% fairway percentage give an advantage?

Back