I guess if you wanna narrow down the best player in the world to the last tournament, then he'd qualify. Going back much further than that, I don't think he would. He's playing great. Give him a chance and he might make it there.

I definitely agree that a lot still has to be seen.
My question is, is hitting more fairways necessary, when looking at the players in front of him and where they rank in driving accuracy?

Or does hitting it past everybody, but having a 60% fairway percentage give an advantage?
I think hitting more fairways in the big events will be "more necessary" for him than some of the others due to his poor wedge play. I will be sitting with popcorn in hand watching because he is going to be VERY entertaining in the majors this year!

I think hitting more fairways in the big events will be "more necessary" for him than some of the others due to his poor wedge play. I will be sitting with popcorn in hand watching because he is going to be VERY entertaining in the majors this year!
I think there are some courses where that will definitely be the case.
Although I do not think the poor wedge play is as real as people believe. Poor wedge play as a whole don't allow for top tens in every tournament back since the re-start. In my mind anyway.

I also believe the Masters is very driver friendly. To me the biggest question will come down to his putting, more than the wedges.

He is for sure the player of the month (June) and the hottest player on tour. Number one requires a bit more longevity in my mind. But I have zero doubt that his success will continue.

So I guess, "almost" is my answer..

Although I do not think the poor wedge play is as real as people believe. Poor wedge play as a whole don't allow for top tens in every tournament back since the re-start. In my mind anyway.

I also believe the Masters is very driver friendly. To me the biggest question will come down to his putting, more than the wedges.

Would it though, if the wedge play is not as good as others’ wedge play, but he is hitting many more wedges? In other words, his wedge play may be less good than many other players, but his wedge play is better than most others’ 8 or 9 irons. Just speculation on my part...

While he is playing really well, he still needs to slide into that spot as everyone else did. If you looked at just this year only, then I would say yes.

The PGA Tour re-start has wreaked some havoc on the rankings and such, with the current top of the OWGR looking like this.

1-5-1024x692.jpg

Yet with seven top tens in a row including a victory, and looking at the players in front of him, it would be hard to find a clear answer. Webb Simpson has been playing rather well. Dustin Johnson has a victory in there too, but without the same level of consistency. Xander was a lip out away from maybe making a case? Rory, Brooks, Tiger, etc all seem to trail the current run of recent success.

Is Bryson Dechambeau currently the de facto #1 player in the world? If not him, then who?

Continue reading...
Him or Webb Simpson are playing the best currently which is interesting because their style could not be more different.

Of course we could bring Rory, JT, Koepka, Cantlay, and DJ into this conversation too. They are all playing really well.

Brooks is back in the saddle this week though. It will be clash of the Titans soon.. haha. The whole beefcake thing for Bryson could stem from their confrontation last year. Where Brooks called him out for slow play. Bryson said "say it to my face" and Brooks did... Haha.

Brooks is back in the saddle this week though. It will be clash of the Titans soon.. haha. The whole beefcake thing for Bryson could stem from their confrontation last year. Where Brooks called him out for slow play. Bryson said "say it to my face" and Brooks did... Haha.
Kind of a wake up call eh? Bulk up or shut up.

If golfers were ranked like NCAA sports, then he would definitely be number 1 with the majority of first place votes right now.

Without regards to the OWGR which has a specific formula to determine #1, I would argue the Bryson is the de facto #1 at this time. And I think he has the staying power to remain a fixture near or at the top of the rankings

Bryson is playing like he is, and if he keeps it up, he will be. He absolutely is playing with an advantage right now, going 2 or 3 clubs less into some greens than other players. His ranking has improved each event since the Waste Management Open.

If we are only looking at a small snapshot he has a strong case. I still value Webbs two wins more though.

Would it though, if the wedge play is not as good as others’ wedge play, but he is hitting many more wedges? In other words, his wedge play may be less good than many other players, but his wedge play is better than most others’ 8 or 9 irons. Just speculation on my part...

And how far is he hitting that 8 iron? Faldo referred to it (8 iron distance) on Sunday afternoon. On all full shots he is definitely hitting less club than most others would hit at the same distance.

His wedge struggles are very overblown too. It’s discussed when he hits a bad one, but his proximity stats since the return have been much better (and ranks well), and plenty good enough to succeed anywhere. Plus he’s still dialing in distances, it’s not like this is a static thing.

Nah, he won against a weak field and on an easy course (-22?)

He may be #1 soon, but he'll need to win a major first, no player should ever be #1 without a big win IMO.

with his top 10s and a win and the current streak i gotta say yes
do i like it no
i want to see what he does at augusta

right now hes hitting it 400 yards and looks like hes playing on a local muni...................................
i want to see a course thats set up to beat his a$$ and then we'll know

his putting stance looks like his driver stance
i mean hes as stiff as a 2x4
his wedge play looks the same and as a poor chipper myself i dont know how he chips looking like that

And how far is he hitting that 8 iron? Faldo referred to it (8 iron distance) on Sunday afternoon. On all full shots he is definitely hitting less club than most others would hit at the same distance.

That’s my point. He gets to hit a wedge when somebody else is hitting a iron, so, even if his wedge play is not as good some others’ wedge play, his wedge play is better than others’ 9 irons.

His wedge struggles are very overblown too. It’s discussed when he hits a bad one, but his proximity stats since the return have been much better (and ranks well), and plenty good enough to succeed anywhere. Plus he’s still dialing in distances, it’s not like this is a static thing.

I am not sure it is overblown when every expert in the game is talking about it. The reason may be off, but it is 100% the current weakest part of his game.

he just fires me up. lose that ridiculous hat, payne stewart played the part dont feed me that bs
its like ugly play at its best i dont even want to watch it

I am not sure it is overblown when every expert in the game is talking about it. The reason may be off, but it is 100% the current weakest part of his game.
It's overblown because everyone jumped on that 155th season ranking in a very small sample stat. But looking at the actual proximity data from inside 100 or 50-125, for the last 4 weeks, not only are his numbers far better than before the break, they rank well, and they're also even better than when he was winning in 2018.

It is the weakest part of his game, but that doesn't mean it's as bad as it's been portrayed. It's definitely not bad enough to consider changing his equipment, rather than continue to dial it in.

That’s my point. He gets to hit a wedge when somebody else is hitting a iron, so, even if his wedge play is not as good some others’ wedge play, his wedge play is better than others’ 9 irons.

Exactly. You are spot on. He is hitting considerably less club. On Sunday, on the 17th hole, he had 230 into the green. According to Faldo, Bryson hit an 8 iron onto the green from the left rough.

It's overblown because everyone jumped on that 155th season ranking in a very small sample stat. But looking at the actual proximity data from inside 100 or 50-125, for the last 4 weeks, not only are his numbers far better than before the break, they rank well, and they're also even better than when he was winning in 2018.

Your not wrong, I still see it as his current weakness, and this was at soft and comparably easy courses. We will see how it stands up as the courses toughen up.

Back