His wedge struggles are very overblown too. It’s discussed when he hits a bad one, but his proximity stats since the return have been much better (and ranks well), and plenty good enough to succeed anywhere. Plus he’s still dialing in distances, it’s not like this is a static thing.

As probably the biggest one length proponent on the forum, this is not meant to be a diss. It is going to be very interesting to see where Bryson goes with all of this and it is so freaking interesting to watch. Those who don’t like one length in wedges would say that you cannot get the proper angle of attack, shaft lean, etc. to really control spin the way you need to at that most elite level of play in order to score with the wedges, particularly when wedges so often require partial swings. Some think Bryson should go to more of a two length set. I am not advocating this position, but I see their point. I hope he can do it. It is one of the most interesting golf stories to me that I have ever followed.

If golfers were ranked like NCAA sports, then he would definitely be number 1 with the majority of first place votes right now.
No doubt with this method.

I think his wedge play is fine but he is adjusting to the new found/built speed. I can’t imagine going from 135 mph on a driver to a touch shot with a wedge. I think need he just needs time to find the new distances, which he will. His technique is fine, so his wedge play will be fine

Last edited:
Or does hitting it past everybody, but having a 60% fairway percentage give an advantage?

The answer is yes and has always been yes. The dominate players of every generation have always been the longest players. None of them have been straight. On the weeks they are hot with the driver they dominate. They weeks they are not they are still in contention. If you can hit it long and get hot with the putter a couple times a year. You will never lose you card. Look at Cam Champ, one week each of the last two seasons, putter got hot and he got the W.

To answer original question Bryson and Webb are playing the best golf right now. Are they the best player in the world maybe? The Sagarin rankings which do a better job of showing who is playing the best currently still has Rory at number 1 (https://rankings.golfweek.com/rankings/default.asp?T=world). But if I was placing bets on the best player currently Bryson is getting alot of action

As probably the biggest one length proponent on the forum, this is not meant to be a diss. It is going to be very interesting to see where Bryson goes with all of this and it is so freaking interesting to watch. Those who don’t like one length in wedges would say that you cannot get the proper angle of attack, shaft lean, etc. to really control spin the way you need to at that most elite level of play in order to score with the wedges, particularly when wedges so often require partial swings. Some think Bryson should go to more of a two length set. I am not advocating this position, but I see their point. I hope he can do it. It is one of the most interesting golf stories to me that I have ever followed.
Yeah I have read those articles and I get the point they are trying to make. You can guess I don't agree with them haha. It is certainly a very compelling story to follow along with. I do think that some people would not be able to get along with OL wedges, and that's fine. I just see it as one of those things where the stats bear out a different story than the narrative.

The other less discussed thing is that even if his wedge proximity is poor, is it better than his proximity from farther out? Yes. And is it better than other players proximity from farther out? Also yes. And with him maintaining the same tee accuracy as before, that's really all that matters.

The answer is yes and has always been yes. The dominate players of every generation have always been the longest players. None of them have been straight. On the weeks they are hot with the driver they dominate. They weeks they are not they are still in contention. If you can hit it long and get hot with the putter a couple times a year. You will never lose you card. Look at Cam Champ, one week each of the last two seasons, putter got hot and he got the W.

To answer original question Bryson and Webb are playing the best golf right now. Are they the best player in the world maybe? The Sagarin rankings which do a better job of showing who is playing the best currently still has Rory at number 1 (https://rankings.golfweek.com/rankings/default.asp?T=world). But if I was placing bets on the best player currently Bryson is getting alot of action

I think this nails a lot of the conversation when it comes to wedge play and fairways hit

I've seen his wedge game, and there are some pretty awful wedge shots in there. So no, I'm not going to call him the de facto #1.

~Rock
but wasn't he no. 1 in putting last week? That helped his poor play inside 100 yds

Yeah I have read those articles and I get the point they are trying to make. You can guess I don't agree with them haha. It is certainly a very compelling story to follow along with. I do think that some people would not be able to get along with OL wedges, and that's fine. I just see it as one of those things where the stats bear out a different story than the narrative.

The other less discussed thing is that even if his wedge proximity is poor, is it better than his proximity from farther out? Yes. And is it better than other players proximity from farther out? Also yes. And with him maintaining the same tee accuracy as before, that's really all that matters.
There is no question his wedge proximity is poor. He ranks outside of the top 75 on tour in every approach stat from 50 yds to 150 yds. There is no doubt Bryson will figure that part out. IMO the change will be a slight change to his one length. I see him going to 8 iron length in all scoring clubs.

but wasn't he no. 1 in putting last week? That helped his poor play inside 100 yds

I think he's been putting well for more than just last week. But at the Traveler's he had 47 yards after his drive. It took him 2 more shots to get on the green. That's just one example, I've seen some other suspect wedge shots out of him the past few weeks.

Obviously, when you win, you win, regardless of your wedge game. He's gaining strokes elsewhere. But I don't find that to be sustainable.

I don't think DJ became the force he became until after he tightened up his wedge game. I'd argue that if Bryson tightened his wedge game, he wouldn't just be the de-facto #1, he'd be the official #1.

~Rock

There is no question his wedge proximity is poor. He ranks outside of the top 75 on tour in every approach stat from 50 yds to 150 yds. There is no doubt Bryson will figure that part out. IMO the change will be a slight change to his one length. I see him going to 8 iron length in all scoring clubs.
All of those rankings are because of the early part of the season when he was adjusting to his first bulk though. This week, he was T-18 from inside 100, better than Wolff, Armour, and Kisner. Each week since the return, he's been much better than the early season. The season long stats aren't really that relevant when talking about the current state of his game.

I am not sure what he will do ultimately to figure it out, although I believe he will. He obviously is searching to some degree, having moved from Cobra wedges, which I understand had to do with spin issues. As a plus index, you would know more than most (and more than I, since I am nowhere near that level of play), that controlling spin on a wedge is crucial. A deviation in spin rate of 600 on a wedge is going to change carry by 6 or 8 yards (guessing), which will make all the difference to consistent proximity. I have to believe that it is harder to control spin on partial swings when the shaft length of the wedge is the same as 7 iron. I think he either changes the length, as you propose he might do, or he is going to have to do a lot of work on his wedge play. JMO.

All of those rankings are because of the early part of the season when he was adjusting to his first bulk though. This week, he was T-18 from inside 100, better than Wolff, Armour, and Kisner. Each week since the return, he's been much better than the early season. The season long stats aren't really that relevant when talking about the current state of his game.
Has it gotten better yes, but to state it isn't a problem is short sided IMO. Bryson knows it's a problem and hence he has worked on it to make it better. Last week at Rocket Mortgage Bryson was 51st strokes gained approach to the green at -.485 and Wolfe was 16th at 2.954 strokes gained approach to the green. I would say Bryson won despite his approach game.

He's not #1 right now. He's had a hot start, but I would pick Webb as #1 if not going off of the world golf rankings.

Has it gotten better yes, but to state it isn't a problem is short sided IMO. Bryson knows it's a problem and hence he has worked on it to make it better. Last week at Rocket Mortgage Bryson was 51st strokes gained approach to the green at -.485 and Wolfe was 16th at 2.954 strokes gained approach to the green. I would say Bryson won despite his approach game.

I think it is as well, but I do see the other side of the debate such as hitting a shorter club than others at approach so the comparison might be skewed.

I do not think he will be switching to two lengths though. At least not according to his shaft sponsor and what he is testing. That could change obviously.

One note, and I'm unsure but very curious how much of an effect it had, but ShotLink includes any shot within 30 yards of the green as approach, so some of his par 4 drives were included.

I think it is as well, but I do see the other side of the debate such as hitting a shorter club than others at approach so the comparison might be skewed.

I do not think he will be switching to two lengths though. At least not according to his shaft sponsor and what he is testing. That could change obviously.
If he does go to two length it was only be once he has exhausted all options with the one length. Similar to when he tested one length in driver, fw, and hybrid. The distance loss was to great and he abandoned the idea of one length in those clubs.

Do you know or can you say, is he testing softer flexs in the scoring clubs? I could see that as an option

One note, and I'm unsure but very curious how much of an effect it had, but ShotLink includes any shot within 30 yards of the green as approach, so some of his par 4 drives were included.
I have never seen how they corrected that issue, would be interested to know what effect it had

Please excuse my ignorance on the topic, but outside of being able to say you are the #1, does the OWGR have any bearing on anything at all?

I think of anything, Bryson is one of few that I really am willing to switch over and watch though. Mad Gainz!

Please excuse my ignorance on the topic, but outside of being able to say you are the #1, does the OWGR have any bearing on anything at all?

I think of anything, Bryson is one of few that I really am willing to switch over and watch though. Mad Gainz!
Entry into WGC events and majors if within a certain ranking

Do you know or can you say, is he testing softer flexs in the scoring clubs? I could see that as an option

He is always testing but there is something interesting going on with player testing and these wedge shafts that explain a bit as they appear to be getting speed. I have not tested them but speaking with LA Golf and some player testers they all saw a distance increase. I’m not sure that is a good thing or bad thing, but I have a feeling it is playing a role with Bryson.

Obviously time will tell and by then who knows what he is playing.

TXG did a comparison on youtube the other day testing the flyer theory with graphits shafts. Pretty interesting. Matty saw virtually no difference in ball speed, dispersion, spin or length.

I am not sure what he will do ultimately to figure it out, although I believe he will. He obviously is searching to some degree, having moved from Cobra wedges, which I understand had to do with spin issues. As a plus index, you would know more than most (and more than I, since I am nowhere near that level of play), that controlling spin on a wedge is crucial. A deviation in spin rate of 600 on a wedge is going to change carry by 6 or 8 yards (guessing), which will make all the difference to consistent proximity. I have to believe that it is harder to control spin on partial swings when the shaft length of the wedge is the same as 7 iron. I think he either changes the length, as you propose he might do, or he is going to have to do a lot of work on his wedge play. JMO.
Controlling spin is crucial to good wedge play and everyone does it different. I do it with swing speed and chocking down on the club. Bryson I believe uses a clock system. I just think with his added club head speed playing 6 iron length wedges makes it that much harder. Another thing to consider is guys with a ton of club head speed can struggle with wedge control. We have seen it with Rory, DJ didn't really take off until he learned to control his wedges, and Butch talks about Tiger working on flighting the ball and 3 quarter swings to improve distance control when Tiger first came on tour. This may simply be a learning curve for Bryson now that he has more speed.

Since the restart? Yep, hands down.

The results since returning say he is. Can he continue or will he fatigue? I think some players are pacing for the majors and will ramp up as we get closer to them. JT just needs to find his groove and he is right there. The coming weeks will answer many questions.

Bryson is the hot hand right now and has been playing probably the best of anybody overall so far this year, but that's a small sample size. IMO it's too early to call him #1 yet, but if his play continues like it is, he'll get there.

Bryson is not #1 - I think he is definitely in the topic of discussion. However, there are a ton of players that are up there Rory and Webb being in the running as well as xander and bryson rounding up the the top 5.... #5 would be small difference but could argue Dustin, Rahmbo, JT. It is very competitive right now, but not sure the golf has been challenging for all.

Back