Tour Event 2020 Workday Charity Open

If it is free relief from a sprinkler, the only stipulation is that the drop has to get full relief from the sprinkler. You don't have to drop in the same lie where the ball was (unless it was in a bunker). Using the rules to his advantage.

Thanks! admittedly I did not know that rule

One of my favorite courses to watch all year. Love the layout and hopefully they will set it up to challenge these guys more than the last couple of weeks.

Get Day a new shirt in a few holes... #heatadvisory #steamymorning

So far it looks like its another year where Jason Day doesn't play well on a course where he is a member.

One of my favorite courses to watch all year. Love the layout and hopefully they will set it up to challenge these guys more than the last couple of weeks.
It sounds like next week will be harder than it is this week. Will be interesting to see differences in scoring.

WHAT A FREAKING CHIP IN RAHMBO!!!! wow that was difficult.

My swing + Rahm’s lie = dramatically different results. Man these guys are good!

Free relief from a sprinkler head?
I know you get relief, but my understanding of relief is no closer to the hole and you cannot improve the lie. Moving from intermediate to fairway seems to be a violation of the latter.

I was thinking Hovland would be a horse for this course. Off to a bit of a slow start. Time to turn it around!! Brooks off to a slow start as well..

Man that 15 tee looks fun.

Rahm looks kind of strange today.. I think it is his hair cut..

It sounds like next week will be harder than it is this week. Will be interesting to see differences in scoring.
I'm interested in seeing how drastically they can make this course play different between this week & next. Lack of water or heavily water? :unsure:

I'm interested in seeing how drastically they can make this course play different between this week & next. Lack of water or heavily water? :unsure:
i know it is super hot and dry in OH right now... rough was said to manageable this week and going to water and grow it for the week. speed up greens and more difficult pins?

Cheat codes for Rahm today! EXCELLENT

I wonder what Rahm’s OWGR is?

Interesting to watch these guys struggle a bit after the past 4 weeks of birdie fest.

Interesting to watch these guys struggle a bit after the past 4 weeks of birdie fest.
Yea and the funny thing is slower greens and shorter rough than next week. Haha

I think this is the first time since I was born a course was used for 2 tourneys in 2 consecutive weeks. I guess it will save money, but wonder how the course will hold up. I've read it will be easier this week and then they will lengthen the rough and course for the following.

I know you get relief, but my understanding of relief is no closer to the hole and you cannot improve the lie. Moving from intermediate to fairway seems to be a violation of the latter.
The rules state for free relief you get 1 club length, you must take complete relief, and it must be in general area. It does not state anything about lie good or bad. One of the main reasons players do not take relief when available is because the area of relief gives a worse lie than the original lie.

IMO one reason lie is not addressed is because there are times when nearest point of relief is a worse lie than the original lie. Also the rules do not require the player to take relief. If the player chooses he/she can play from the original spot. This is why we often see players play from a cart path instead of taking relief. The cart path is better than where they would have had to drop.

Last edited:
Nothing in the rules about improving lie not being allowed. Interpretations of the rules address this as well.Screenshot_20200709-093744_USGA Rules.jpg

Back