JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Every couple of years a new group of top young talent joins the ranks of the PGA Tour. Currently the stable of young players seems ready to take on all comers as they rack up victories and move up the FedEx Cup and World Golf Rankings.

If we set an age requirement at 25 years or younger, players like Bryson DeChambeau and Justin Thomas fall outside of this arbitrary list, but some big names are still out there.

Sunjae Im, Colin Morikawa, Viktor Hovland, Matthew Wolff, Joaquin Niemann, Sam Burns and Cameron Champ. Some others to watch: Norman Xiong, Aaron Wise, Scottie Scheffler, Robbie Shelton, Maverick McNealy and Min Woo Lee.

Who is your best under 25?

Untitled-1-1024x692.jpg

Continue reading...

Morikawa. He would have been my answer even before the win yesterday.

Same here. He made his first 22 cuts and it was just a matter of time before a win dropped in his lap. My guess is that he will win a major within the next 2 years.

Without a doubt Morikawa...it's unbelievable what he has been able to accomplish since gaining his card.

Partial to Oklahoma State since Golf Channel did a series on them and we were aware who they were when the college tournaments would be aired. I really like Wolffe it’s really hard to pick against Morikawa.

With that said, it’s awesome seeing their names on the first page of the leaderboard quite a bit.

Right now Hovland, Wolff and Morikawa are at the top based on their success. One that I am watching to see when they might catch on is Doug Ghim. He is right on that edge (24yrs old) but I think he has a lot of good golf in him.

Same here. He made his first 22 cuts and it was just a matter of time before a win dropped in his lap. My guess is that he will win a major within the next 2 years.
Yesterday was his second win. He won in Reno last year in his 5 or 6 sixth start. The week after finishing runner up to Wolff at the 3M. Guy is good to say the least

Morikawa. Ball striking is impressive, no weaknesses, strong mental game. I also think that Wolff will find his Tour footing and emerge as a top player. Others focus on Hovland, but I’m not sold.

Morokawa is one of the top 5 approach players in the game. That makes him a surefire long career with multiple wins guy. If he gets his short putting in gear look out. Maybe he needs to try an arm lock or something.

I think it's Morikawa because of the 22-cut streak he was on. that is an incredible feat, bested only by tiger if i'm not mistaken.

Its Morikawa and Hovland for me and its not close

Morikawa at the top. Hovland and Im would be 2nd and 3rd in some combination. Then a big gap. People forget how good Sungjae has been, he's just been struggling a bit since the re-start. Recency bias in a big way.

Morikawa at the top. Hovland and Im would be 2nd and 3rd in some combination. Then a big gap. People forget how good Sungjae has been, he's just been struggling a bit since the re-start. Recency bias in a big way.

I am surprised so many have Hovland over Wolff actually.
I agree on Sungjae and I think Niemann is overlooked due to his play since restart as well.

tough one...before the break, i woulda said Im...now, i'm thinking Morikawa

I agree on Sungjae and I think Niemann is overlooked due to his play since restart as well.
I don't have stats but it seems to me that Hovland has been more consistent than Wolff. Plus he gets noticed for his terrible lack of fashion sense haha

I don't have stats but it seems to me that Hovland has been more consistent than Wolff. Plus he gets noticed for his terrible lack of fashion sense haha

Haha, yeah the style is awful.
They both have a single win. Hovland might be a bit more consistent. I think Wolff's win is more impressive, not being an opposite field event. I believe Wolff can play in the Masters and Hovland cannot though.

I'd put Wolff behind Niemann. He just hasn't shown any consistency yet. Obviously we are only a year into his career, but last week in Detroit was his first top 10 since the win with a ton of MC's. Sungjae is a consistency machine, and think the restart threw him off. He'll be back. He has the best short game of the group by far.

I like Collin, but Matt is my favorite being from my neighborhood and all. I would love to see Hovland paired with Koucher to see who smiles more during a round.

Id say Hovland or Wolff. They both have just so much raw talent and athletic ability.

I'd put Wolff behind Niemann. He just hasn't shown any consistency yet. Obviously we are only a year into his career, but last week in Detroit was his first top 10 since the win with a ton of MC's. Sungjae is a consistency machine, and think the restart threw him off. He'll be back. He has the best short game of the group by far.

You might be right. Sungjae and Niemann both have shown a game that is going to translate for a long time I have a feeling.

Morikawa and SungJae are amazing ball strikers. Hovland is just below them and Wolff is the bomber’s paradise!

The consistency of Morikawa tips the scales in his favor for me.

Morikawa, Wolff and Hovland for me, fully expect all 3 to win a major

Morikawa at the top, and I'd put Hovland in a close second.

I think the best right now are Morikawa, Hovland, and Niemann, in that order. But I think Wolff could dominate for a few years if he continues to get better with the short game (god knows his long game is already there). Niemann’s swing makes my back hurt.

Agreed. I've always liked his game the best of all the young guys. I think Wolff is overrated and Hovland could be really good but is streaky and weak with the short game. I like guys who can consistently hit fairways and play close approaches, which is Morikawa's game.

Back